• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60p vs 90p

Aquasheep

Hi all,

I'm new here and kinda new to the hobby. Not new to aquaria but never did any aquascaping.
At the moment I try to decide between the ADA 60P and 90P.
I can afford both but still the 90P is quite the investment.
I wonder:
  • how easy is it to keep the 60P stable compared to the 90P?
  • during summer, do I need to cool the 60P much sooner then the 90?
  • are choices between plants and fish much more limited with the 60P?

Price wise and being new to this aspect of the hobby make the 60 a better choice. On the other hand, I don't wanna regret it in 3 months and end up selling this one for a 90 either...

Hope you guys can provide me with some insights.

The 60p is a good size to learn. It'll be cheaper than the 90p to rescape as you'll require less materials. The 90p is larger which is a big plus. Can you run two tanks at the same time in future? That way you could start with the 60p and then add the 90p in future when you pick up more experience. If you can only have one then I would go for the 90p.

i'm 18 months down the line from you with the exact same starting thoughts. I wanted the 90P as its a nice big tank and a proper statement piece in the home... However i wanted to learn the ropes first and went with the 60p. I'm honestly so glad i did! I've had loads of fun trying out different styles and different plants without spending a ton on the learning curve.

It can be hard to get some plants to there full potential in the 60P as they can quickly outgrow it. so plant choice is key really. I had some cyrptocoryne balansae in the 60p and as awesome as they looked, just as the leaves were starting to mature they were too big for the tank.

I'm running a biomaster 350 and haven't encountered any stability problems.

Fish choice once again small variety only, tetras, danios and the likes.

I've actually had a 90P scaped and ready to go for around 3 months now but I'm still enjoying the 60p. I'm not quite ready to let it go yet and i'm not up for running multiple tanks.

I'd go with 60p to see if you really enjoy it as much as you think you will. Maintenance, weekly water changes, its all quite a lot if you aren't used to it. Best to learn with a smaller tank I'd say.

I went through the same conundrum before purchasing my 60p, and haven't regretted my choice at all. I've not had any issue with stability (if anything a 90p would suffer more with evaporation due to it's larger footprint?)
Ideally you'll want to stick with small/nano fish as they'll fit in with the overall scale better, however it doesn't mean you couldn't have a few slightly larger species if you do desired.
I'm pleased with my choice of a 60p, as maintenance (water changes, plant trimming etc) takes long enough as it is (high tech setup, quick growing plants).

Back