• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60P - 1st attempt at a planted tank

Kazuya

This is my 1st attempt at DSM and a planted tank with CO2.
I've read a good deal of threads over the net on pressurized CO2 and decided to build my own DSR.
DSM was 3 months, mostly because my regulator parts took a while to get here.

Equipment
Tank: ADA 60P (60x30x36)
Filter: ADA SuperJet ES600
Lighting: Arcadia 2x24W (Will be using a Sunrise 20W LED)
Heater: Hydor 200w in line
Substrate: AS I and AS I powder type.
CO2: VTS253A-1993 with a 2kg CO2 tank.
Flora: HC for the foreground, Staro Repens, more to come

Day 1
2011-04-12001001.jpg

Week 2
2ndweek5.jpg

Week 3
3rd week pictures.
Center shot (top view)
3rdweek1.jpg

3rdweek4.jpg

Left side Staro (top view)
3rdweek3.jpg

Left side (side view)
3rdweek5.jpg

Right side (side view)
3rdweek7.jpg

Week 5 (had some melt but nothing to worry about)

FTS
5thweek5.jpg

5thweek6.jpg

Right corner
5thweek7.jpg

5thweek2.jpg

Left corner (was not growing the way I wanted.)
5thweek9.jpg

3rdweek6.jpg

Center
5thweek4.jpg

Week 7
At this point the DW on the left side was taken out and the staro started growing better.
7thweek4.jpg

Week 10
FTS
10thweek1.jpg

Left side
10thweek3.jpg

The staro is actually spreading over the coconut, with HC covering the front.
10thweek4.jpg

Side shot
10thweek4.jpg

As of yesterday

FTS
031.jpg

018.jpg

HC looks to be doing good.
029.jpg

Equipment
032.jpg

030.jpg

028.jpg

Close up of the regulator
2077.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nice tank mate, think i am going to do the same as you and grow the plants without full water first. Can i ask, how do you dose your ferts if it has no water in the tank?

Cheers

Thanks Westyggx. You do not have to dose ferts. Just spray regular tap water once a day.
I sometimes did it every other day.

Thanks Bob. I moved it to the other side after I took the picture. Also moved the outflow to the back left corner

This is seriously great. Wish I had done this when I gassed my fish!

Interested to see how the next few days/weeks go, particularly whether you get melt on the HC and/or any algae issues. If not, I'm definitely doing it next time.

Would also think about moving the redmoor root over a bit to the left, more in line with the 'golden ratio'. But looking good. And love the coconut.

Thanks Mike.

I have a really good needle valve on my regulator, not to worried about gassing my fish. Also do not think I will have a EOTD with a dual stage regulator.
Since I have no rush to put any fish in right now, I'm just pumping the tank with CO2.

As for algae issues. From what I read on Tom Barr's website you really do not get any algae issues since in a way the Amazonia is already cycled.

The lights are on for around 6.5 to 7 hrs. CO2 comes on 1hr before the lights go on.

As for the redmoor root. Thanks for the advice. Right now I do not want to move anything as of yet. But how much are we talking about moving it?

Any other advice as to what other plant(s) to add. I am looking for something really bright red of the middle section.

Kazuya, i am using a 9w Light supplied with the tank do you think this is suffice enough to grow like you have?

What are the measurements of your tank?
Also is this a hood style light?

Just a bit! Often a focal hardscaping point looks best if it's about a third of the way across. There's loads on golden ratios if you google it. But might not work for this tank - up to you... (and I'm no expert).

I thought HC melt was sometimes due to 'conversion' between emersed and submersed forms, but that could be an old (fish)wives tale. I certainly can't grow the blinking stuff.

For red plants, mark evan's new 'ruby' tank has a good list - it's another journal. And I love limnophila aromatica - grows brilliantly and looks incredible as it changes colours.

Mike, If there is not enough CO2 supplied and/or ferts then the HC can melt. From what I've read.
Today did not notice anything wrong. It actually looks like it grew a bit, but that could just be the fact that I added water.

I will definitely take a long at that journal and also google that info.
When I do my water change I will see about moving it over a bit.

Hi Kazuya,.... :D Damn!! That's an awesome tank you have there.

The last time i tried DSM all my HCs melted in one week. :oops: Did you ever record your tank's humidity level during the dry start period? I heard they only do well above the 75% humidity level.

Faizel
I never calculated anything. The tank had to my eyes enough humidity.
I put seran wrap and hoped it work.
I had some melting, towards the back.

Back