• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm Riparium

Here is another way to use that Nano Trellis Raft. This time with a sprawling emersed stem plant (Bacopa) rooted in a planter and then growing forward across the raft surface.

22-v-10-planters-vi-s.jpg

This eventually grows into a nice floating carpet. The plants do require moderate-bright light intensity and pruning of the growing tips to grow in dense like this and cover the foam and plastic.

18-i-10-bacopa-sp-i-s.jpg

I got back to replanting this tank tonight. I think that I have a pretty good result. It still looks a bit disheveled, but it should perk up as the plants grows in.

31-v-10-15-gallon-tank-i-m.jpg

That Cyperus there on the left is what I believe to be C. albostriatus and it is shorter that the C. alternifolius that I had in there. I have a couple of other new additions too. Here is a shot from a couple of weeks ago for comparison.

13-v-10-tank-i-m.jpg

The new planting is mainly of finer foliage, and it's shorter.

I have made a bit more headway with the new layout--I added a hardscape. IT is not so special but it adds some dimension anyway.

2-vi-10-tank-i-m.jpg

I consider adding some underwater plants. Can anyone think of a small, bright green crypt that I could use?

Here is another quick update. I switched up the hardscape again, this time electing to use some interesting rocks of different colors that I had sitting around. This of course violates the rule about using only one kind of rock, but I enjoy admiring the different colors and patterns in these stones.

16-vi-10-tank-i-m.jpg

There really are fish in there. These phantom tetras are mainly black anyway and they hide in the shadows under the planters.

This is a crop from that last picture to better show the foliage textures. I really like the plants in this layout.

16-vi-10-tank-ii-m.jpg

And here is detail for the stones. I did a lot of poking around to find these nice rocks.

16-vi-10-hardscape-i-m.jpg

I have torn dow this tank. I was never especially satisfied with the hedge-like planted layout that I had in here--although it did include several pretty cool plants--and I needed a tank for the Riparium Supply and Tank Planters vendor table at the American Cichlid Association 2010 Convention last weekend. Here is a quick shot of the setup that I had there.

25-vii-10-aca-table-i-m.jpg

I was mainly sitting there at the table all three days of the convention, but I did get up a few times to go shoot some pictures. I got a few nice shots of the show fish. I need to format those and load them up.

Did you get much interest from Chichlid keepers. Seems like a good way to keep plants with fish that are always on"destruct" setting. T

Yes it was pretty well-received there. This was the first time that I had gotten these ideas in front of very many fish hobbyists and it was interesting to see their reactions.

On the other hand, I have over and over again seen the riparium idea rejected by planted aquarium enthusiasts, which seems odd. I don't if there might be some kind of dogmatic ideas about using CO2 or certain kinds of plants in the plant hobby(?).

i dont see why either. most people seem really into gardening and other plants as well, like bonsai, carnivorous plants, cacti, orchids or something along those lines. aquascaping is under water gardening, and most of the times is a lot more about the plants and fish are secondary. to me this seems just like another extension of the hobby and a way of adding another dimension to your tanks. now you can grow plants above water too, and plants that you couldnt grow in you tank normally.

i personally think its great! i cant wait til i am settled and can start my riparium with all the supplies you sent me!

Hey that is right that you had gotten a box of stuff too. Just let me know if you might like any ideas while you start planning that out. I'll be around. Do you know which size/shape tank you might use yet?

i have a 90x30x30 and two 60x30x30's

i am not sure if a 30cm is going to give me enough depth though, i would really like a 45....

I'd say that 30cm is plenty of space. This same tank of mine is just 30cm deep and there is plenty of space for the planter cups, trellis rafts, plants and some open water along the front.

31-v-10-15-gallon-tank-i-m.jpg

Your riparium looks great. I'd love to set up a riparium of my own. The only spare tank I have right now is an old 18" x 10" x 10" do you think this is too small?
Thanks
Steve

Your riparium looks great. I'd love to set up a riparium of my own. The only spare tank I have right now is an old 18" x 10" x 10" do you think this is too small?
Thanks
Steve

If you select the smaller plants your tank will work well enough.

Stunning riparium Sir. I stumbled upon this while looking for things to do with my 2'. Next job is to look for riparium supplies in the UK without it breaking the bank. I am thinking of using bathroom organisers and fitting a mesh to encourage moss growth along the front of them to disguise them as I'm not sure about the floating rafts and trellis. I think I'd look for more vertical growth than creeping growth from some of these too as I want to keep some submerged plants.

{Edit due to Apple's stupid autocorrect}

Back