• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm Optiwhite - A New Dawn

Dan Walter said:
I would be there for hours trying to position extra branches! :lol: If I see any interesting bits this weekend then the saw might come out. How would I go about attaching the branches, glue?
Glue, tie wraps, wire, string, screws, just make sure you don't use anything that corrodes ;)

LondonDragon said:
Dan Walter said:
I would be there for hours trying to position extra branches! :lol: If I see any interesting bits this weekend then the saw might come out. How would I go about attaching the branches, glue?
Glue, tie wraps, wire, string, screws, just make sure you don't use anything that corrodes ;)

Coolio :thumbup:

Dan Walter said:
I think heavy planting from the off ensures that the plants use any excess nutrients (?) rather than the algae using them.. I may and probably am wrong here as I too am a beginner. Anyone care to correct me?

Ahh, makes sense. Well that's a good enough explanation for me, thanks :D

Becca

Becca said:
Dan Walter said:
I think heavy planting from the off ensures that the plants use any excess nutrients (?) rather than the algae using them.. I may and probably am wrong here as I too am a beginner. Anyone care to correct me?

Ahh, makes sense. Well that's a good enough explanation for me, thanks :D

Becca

Moreover a higher volume of plants will soak up trace levels of algae-triggering ammonia, excess nutrients aren't an issue. :thumbup:

Oh and more plants will also help increase bacterial colonies quicker in the substrate with their roots blah blah... this is where planted has the edge over fish-only tanks. As you say if its heavily planted from the start you cut down the chances of algae. On the other hand you can get around having only a few plants at the start by using the dry-start method, liquid carbon, lower your light etc etc. Its all about balance. Nice setup by the way!

Becca said:
Thanks for that Neil :D

Becca

+1! :thumbup:

Quick update - I managed to steal a few hours on Sunday for a trip the LFS. I picked up 7 Tropica pots for £17 which I was pleased with. I Didn’t manage to get all the plants required but I’ve planted up all that I did buy, filled with water and kick started the filter. CO2 will be started today along with a 6hour photo period with just 2 bulbs to begin with.

Plant list so far
Rotala's for left and right rear.
Glosso for between rocks.
E Parvula between/behind rock.
Lileopsis for the midground.

Sill need some Cyperus Helferi and maybe a little something else but that can wait.

I'll get some pics up tonight.

Cheers

Dan

DAY 1

I got in tonight to find the filter not working correctly, lots of trapped air?! I also noticed that there were lots of kinks in the tubing also so after a quick move around and a minor lounge flood ( :oops: ) I finally got the filter working correctly. I started up the CO2 and cranked it fairly high and tuned the lights to come on at a 6 hour photo period.

How long should I run a short photo period for? I eventually plan move up to 8hrs with the other 2 lamps coming on for a midday burst.

A few quick snaps..

P1040758.jpg

P1040759.jpg

P1040757.jpg

P1040762.jpg

The wood isn't positioned correctly and needs to go deeper in to the substrate. It had been out of water for too long and began to float when I added the water. For now it's held down by a large rock at the back. Also the needle leaf is just temporary and will be positioned correctly once the wood has sunk. Then I have a few more plants to add.. but that's it for now. :thumbup:

NeilW said:
I don't envy trying to keep that sand and soil separate though :lol:

Cheers Neil, I had began to worry about that to be honest :wideyed: I might add some smaller stones where the substrate meets the sand.. I have a few small pieces left, perhaps with some moss on them. What do you think?

Dan Walter said:
Cheers Neil, I had began to worry about that to be honest :wideyed: I might add some smaller stones where the substrate meets the sand.. I have a few small pieces left, perhaps with some moss on them. What do you think?

Soil bleeding into sand is the main reason why I'm tearing down my current scape :( . There was just one gap I couldn't plug. I think yours shouldn't be too bad as you've mainly got big stones in the way but maybe try some graded gravels. Also if you want it looking mint I used to remove all the old sand where the soil had mixed and refresh it every now and then with new stuff from the bag. Plastic dividers can work but need to be concealed with a plant like HC. What Amano's photographs don't say is that he has an army of workers that constantly manicure his tanks.

Back