• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm light over 80cm tank?

Wallace

As per topic title really.

I've got an 80cm tank that I'll be setting up soon to replace my current 60cm. I'm using an APS 60cm 2x24w HOT5 light unit currently, and just wondered if I would be ok using this light over the 80cm?

It will be suspended over the centre of the tank, and I will be able to adjust the height etc etc

Everything I'm thinking tells me that it will be ok, ( but that doesn't mean a thing lol ) because there is quite a lot of light spill as the reflectors that are built in aren't great.

As much as I'd love to invest in some TMC tiles and controller, I'm not going to be able to clear that outlay with the wife.

Help me my friends of UKaps, you are my only hope.

Cheers

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help me my friends of UKaps, you are my only hope.

Now we can't say no, can we?

I think it could work, as long as you are conscious about the plants you use. In such a set-up there will a lot less light in the corners and sides compared to the centre. But this can be solved by picking plants that are not too light demanding for these areas. Also, if you make sure to work with strong co2 your plants as a general rule will need less light to grow well (if not fast). In my own tank I have an ADA Solar 2x36w over a tank with an area of 75x45. This light is only 54 cm long, but I am using Eleocharis parvula and "mini" on the peripheries and have the more light demanding species in the centre.Growth is not fast, but healthy and steady. This is not necessarily replicable for you, though, as my tank is a shallow 25 cm, which means much easier light penetration than in, say, a 40 cm high.

Thomas

Your desperation made me think of the late Lou Reed. Only slightly paraphrasing one of his lesser known songs:

"You can't pay your rent, your boss is an idiot
and your apartment has no heat
And your wife says, "Maybe
it's time to have a child"
Remember, UKAPS (I'm) is the one who loves you
and you can always give me a call
Turn to me, turn to me
turn to me"

Hi Wallace what you are talking about is exactly what I have done. I dismantled my jewel/Amazon 2x24 but what I did was make an oak housing 80cm but I staggered the two tubes so they run the full length and over lap in the middle. So more watts At the centre ans less at sides if than makes any sense?

Sorry for the naff pic but you should get the idea. It was all Down to funds I ran out so this was my temporary job. Till I can make my mind up on leds
adyneqy8.jpg
jutyjyve.jpg
plants are doing ok too if anything there's too much light

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk now Free

Thanks guys.

Planting would be mainly in the centre, island stylee. I figured that I would have a few crypts, some mosses and anubias in the shadows as it were but like I say I thought it would all be ok, but felt the need to check anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

I think it'll be fine...may the force be with you...

It always is.

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back