• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60 cm - Old fashioned Dutch style scape

Actually I have done the trimming last Thursday, I had to go to Holland and my dad had asked for some plants. As I was running out of time it was just a quick trim

_MG_2430.jpg

Not the one I normally do. think the biggest difference between aquascaping in Holland and the Uk is that above methode is quit common here.

Where I have learned in the past that you take out the whole plant cut is half and only put the top back. This is really a hell of a job, it's almost re scaping all the time.

My secret :D there's no secret, I am using products from which I know they will do the Job, so a proper external, The new Arcadia OT2 t5 ( really stunning ). a proper subrate, Co2 and some daily liquids. And off course the most important part, you have to talk to your plants every day :D :D :D :D

Maurits said:
This is really a hell of a job, it's almost re scaping all the time.

yes, hence why we/ i don't do it. i can obtain the 'Dutch' look from stems by trimming this way. in fact, I'm 90% sure i will be doing a Dutch based layout in my 120cm :shh:

looks great Maurits!

So fed up with the flow in the tank as said before I am gonna replace it with a Aquapro SP4- 1200 l/h might be a little bit of an overkill but time will tell.

Also I have changed the lay out, so the tank is a real big mess now. :D

_MG_2451.jpg

_MG_2453.jpg

So 2 weeks further now, all plants are growing again ad for the moment no problems with any algae

_MG_2462.jpg

_MG_2460.jpg

_MG_2458.jpg

_MG_2456.jpg

So a few weeks later, Algae problems seems to be under control, too much flow and too much additives seems to be working in this case.

20100304_IMG_0731.jpg

20100304_IMG_0735.jpg

20100304_IMG_0736.jpg

20100304_IMG_0727.jpg

Oooh, vast improvement in plant health and colour :)

Tell me bud, what's on the side glass? Algae or is it an illusion? And that fissidens... that can't all be from the little amount I sent you, surely, Shirley? :lol:

JamesM said:
Oooh, vast improvement in plant health and colour :)

Tell me bud, what's on the side glass? Algae or is it an illusion? And that fissidens... that can't all be from the little amount I sent you, surely, Shirley? :lol:

on the side, that's some green spot algae which I don't remove as it looks nice. the fissidens, no, this is an sample from the plant farm to see how it will perform, result is vissible :D

George Farmer said:
If you cut back the Marsilea hirsuta it will grow back in its submersed state much quicker. ;)

apologies for bringing up an inactive thread but I have a question.

cut back = chop off all the leaves? the hirsuta that I have have been grown emersed. It's been planted 2 weeks ago and it showing signs of new growth.

Thank you :)

Back