• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

55 litre Ikea Kallax set up

Dr. White

This is my first aquarium for several decades and I have been taking my time getting it set up.

Several weeks ago I picked up a Superfish Cube 40x40 cm aquarium locally for £30. I removed the inbuilt filter and lighting unit and just retained the glass tank. For a stand, I purchased a Ikea double Kallax Unit and some door inserts. The aquarium is not an exact fit, but the only overhangs by about 6mm on one side, which I have at the rear by the wall.

As the top of the Kallax is not flat, I first placed some 3mm self adhesive neoprene on the top between the sides to level it.

20230802_120021.jpg

On top of this, I have placed a 40x40 5mm neoprene sheet. Belt and braces, possibly, but I'd rather do this than regret later.

20230802_120558.jpg

The sides were still very slightly raised, but I am happy with this as these sides should be able to hold the greatest weight.

Next, I painted the back and one side of the tank with black acrylic paint.
I want the tank to be open, so it was important for me to have surface skimming, so I purchased a lilly pipe set which included an adjustable skimmer. This is going to be attached to a Oase thermo filter 100 which resides in the cabinet immediately below. I wanted the lilly pipe to come in at an angle from the rear, so I siliconed one of the clips that came with the filter into the corner to mount the lilly pipe.
20230819_114851.jpg

I am currently in the process of hardscaping using Talawa wood which I am attaching to a heavy slate using D-D aquarium putty. This slate will later be buried with the wood appearing to poke up through the substrate. I attached the first pieces yesterday and was worried that they might not hold when I removed the supporting threads, but the join seems very strong. I will still take great care not to knock them during maintenance! As you can see below, I am currently waiting for the putty to cure on two more pieces of wood I attached this morning. Once they are cured, I will finish of the packet of putty adding more support around the joints.

20230819_114840.jpg
I have 9lt of Tropica aquarium soil on order which should be with me next week, along with some macrophytes for planting. All the species I have ordered tolerate low to medium light, and include java fern and java moss for epiphytes on the wood.

Now I need to get a light and would like a single spot rather than a bar for even coverage. I am currently thinking of the Fluvial Nano LED. You can see how the tank will be close to my favourite seat and just behind my head slightly higher than my eyeline, so any light will need to be dimable. One with a shade would also be a boon, and I have seen aftermarket shades for the nano. If anyone has any suggestions for lights, I would be very interested to hear.

20230819_114840.jpg

Attachments

• 20230802_120021.jpg
    20230802_120021.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
  • 20230802_120024.jpg
    20230802_120024.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
Just one suggestion that I’m sure you’ve thought of. How will you remove the outlet pipe for maintenance?
Indeed I have. The lily pipe is not siliconed into the clip, it is just the clip is silconed to the glass. The lily pipe easily clips in and out. At the moment it is in an upper position, which holds it well enough, but it can be clipped further down which is tighter. It gives me a couple of options in the height of the outlet. I will decide which to use once the water is in and I can see it in action.

I didn’t mean in that sense mate. How will you remove the pipe and hose to clean it? With the corner not being accessible.
Are you using hose taps?
Ah I see! Yeah, good point. I should think the return hose wouldn't need cleaning too frequently, it will be out of sight and in the dark. But I will need to take the lily pipe off for cleaning quite frequently. Perhaps I can clip the hose to the side of the tank if the water level does not drop when the filter is switched off. I could pull the hose out in front of the cabinet and into a bucket to avoid spills. Probably will need to invest in some hose taps though - good call.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of using IKEA furniture to house nano aquariums (I myself have a 40L atop an IKEA PS cabinet; sheet metal construction, albeit with two wood blocks positioned at the mid-bottom, a precaution against potential sagging; said-tank's been running for nearly 5 years and I'm thinking of getting a replacement fit-for-purpose/designed-for-aquariums stand soon, because metal-fatigue and alas a good-night's rest, far from anxiety's callings, you know those hello-good-morning-what's-all-this-wetness-upon-my-living-room-floor dreams).

Did yours work out fine?

Did yours work out fine?
It did, but I wanted up upgrade my external filter and the new larger one would not fit on the shelf. With the shelf imparts rigidity it couldn't be safely removed. So I ended up needing to buy a conventional stand. With the new stand, I was able to also put up a hanger on the inside door for all my aquascaping tools and the feet were easily adjustable for my rather wonky floor, so it turned out to be a good upgrade all around.

Back