• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

54l+Beamswork LED

Re: 54l Old Jewel monolux - Going topless...

Hi, I'm contemplating a SodaSteam CO2 setup for my new tank (when it eventually arrives) and just wandered what you think of it. Co2 supermarket looks like i good option, though might get a gUSH bubble counter, diffuser and drop checker.

http://www.sodastream.co.uk are doing a value pack deal for £80 which includes 2 tanks, so one for me and one for the tank lol.

plus refills are cheap.

How long does it last out of interest?

My Co2 has only been running for 2 weeks so can't tell you how long it will last. Argos has sodastream co2 reduced at the mo...

Mike - I couldn't get link to work so you can find it in London Dragons journal: 259l bookcase tank, on page 2.

Re: 54l+Beamswork LED +sodastream co2

Hi, have changed UP atomiser to a glass diffuser after I found a leak in the co2 coming from the check valve. Have some new CRS who are looking pretty happy so thought I'd risk a few photos. Thanks to Frothhelmet for some cracking pink Rams, wee trumpet snails and 2 different floating plants! Still trying to get c02 levels right so no great changes in plant growth, still slow and steady. Mini Pelia doing really well as is the Fissidens F. Have added some flame moss too. Have some nasty, slimey algae growing on the pelia tied to the wood but think that will go when I get the co2 sorted. Here's some shrimp...
imag0438g.jpg

imag0459i.jpg

imag0463xq.jpg

They are getting Genchem White Pellet every day to try and head off any moulting problems that may be caused by low levels of calcium in the water and they eat it despite there being plenty of algae etc(14 shrimp in 54l) so they must be getting something they need from it...

Well turns out the new regulator wasn't working properly and was only giving me 1.3 bar instead of 2.5. Co2superstore have said I can return it and they will send me a new one. Posted it today so hopefully they will be quick getting the replacement to me. Had just started my EI dosing as well so this is a real PITA!
Noticed a rise of 20 in the tds on the first day of EI dosing so hope this isn't going to cause problems with my CRS. Will have to compensate at water changes.
Changed the layout yet again, before the shrimp came, and took out the anubias nana. The Crypts seem to grow fast regardless. The shrimp have been coming out at lights off to clean up the pelia tied to the branches so algae diminishing.
Revised layout
imag0491v.jpg

imag0495k.jpg

A brave shrimp
imag0501t.jpg

Hoping to get a fissidens f. carpet on the hill and a mini pelia carpet on the area below.
Cheers, Lindy

The new reg/solenoid arrived from Co2Supermarket and the working pressure was worse than the last one. Co2S suggested I must have a leak somewhere so I took off bubble counter and check valve and it made no difference. I then ordered some of co2supermarkets co2 tubing which arrived today and it looks just like normal air line tubing to me. Can't test it with the up atomiser as that broke, probably because it has been on and off sooo many times in last couple of weeks. Co2Supermarket have offered me a refund so I think I'm going to have to go co2less. This tank has turned into a CRS/CBS tank so I could just take out most plants and just leave moss and fern.

Wow, thanks smallestfrog! Sodastream set up was returned to co2supermarket and they gave me a full refund so I've bought the UP A-165 with a FLO co2bottle from tankscape.co.uk . Should have it all set up by end of next week. Now just contemplating glass lilypipes vs trying to persuade someone on this forum to make some acrylic pipes for me so I can keep a spraybar...

Re: 54l+beamswork CRS+CBS Tank.

Well still not got co2 sorted. Got the UP A-165 running on a 1kg Flo co2 bottle only to be woken at 3am by a grinding noise sounding on and off every 5-10secs. The solenoid had gone mental, was extremely hot and was making a terrible noise that we could hear through the thick walls of our old house. Tankscape are replacing it. Not having much luck with co2...

Tank layout has gone through yet another change but this time I feel I is what I was trying to achieve from the outset(I just didn't know it) I have tried to make it more shrimp friendly and have added some cappata leaves. I've had to weight them down though as the flow from the spraybar would have them doing circuits of the tank.
Also got some nice nano redmoore root from thegreenmachine.

imag0572r.jpg

imag0575j.jpg

imag0569fj.jpg

I should be able to get some better pics once the clip on light arrives from an ukaps member who is very slow posting!
The shrimp seem happy. GH is 6 TDS 140-150, 7ltr WC once a week and EI dosed 10ml daily. Hoping the buggers breed!

Looking good ldc, the new nano wood compliments the original very nicely...almost a mirror piece in miniature!
Hope you finally get your co2 sorted as this has great potential to explode into an amazing scape.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Yeah, got a bit lucky with the wood. Thanks for the comments.
Cheers

Well its been a couple of months so thought I'd bore all those who can be bothered looking...

imag0661p.jpg

Plants growing slowly but surely under the LED lights with co2. Dropped EI ferts to 3ml daily and shrimp were happier. Added some spikey moss and taiwan moss which seems to like conditions more than the flame moss. The Star grass has been a bit disappointing but some recently added Rotala r is doing well.
imag0664ak.jpg

Crs still not breeding, just getting bigger. Got some Sakura to see if they like the conditions better and there are a few saddled female so hoping for berried shrimp soon.
Damn pink ramshorn snails have eaten all of my Salvinia natans and are breeding like stink. Fortunately I have puffers in another tank that are benefiting from the snail explosion.
imag0682o.jpg

A shoal of Normans Lampeye fish have also been added a few days ago and getting a pic is near impossible! I almost went for some endlers but the less gaudy lampeye won and I love them. They compliment the tank without overwhelming it with colour and are busy little fish, sitting in the current and darting at potential food. My shrimp aren't bothered by them at all and try and grab their food.
imag0672b.jpg

Overall pretty happy with the tank. Minimum maintenance once a week, 5ltr w/c with 1pinch gh boost. No algae on glass. There is a small amount of algae on the mini pelia growing on the wood presumably as it is closer to the light and I can live with that. The UP regulator and solenoid has proved reliable at keeping a steady bubble count and the UP atomiser creates tiny bubbles.
As usual the terrible mobile pics do it no justice but I do like to be consistant....
Merry christmas and hope everyone has a great new year.
Cheers

Well have finished my 'tweek list' before the rest of the lampeyes arrive. They are really skittish and jump out of the back of the tank so have chopped the old hood up and that now sits over the rear 1/3. Its not too noticable and worth it not to lose more fish(4 RIP). The tweeks were - cover rest of lava rock in moss/mini pelia, remove the bit of wood that lay across tank bottom to the rear(it just didn't seem right), move UP diffuser under filter inlet and took spikey moss off the small 'mirror' piece of wood and replaced with mini pelia to mirror the larger wood.
Photo of tank prior to moving diffuser.
imag0698ql.jpg
imag0698ql.jpg

I had been under the impression that I had acidic tap water as it is very soft with a tds of 45 and GH of 1. A PHtest gave me a reading of 6.8/7 out of tap and also in both tanks. I added 3 medium catappa leaves to the shrimp tank and 3 days later that tank read at 6.4 so I'm hoping I have found the reason for the shrimp not breeding and that lowering the PH will encourage them to 'have at it'!

And so the saga continues...

Back