• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

50% weekly water change is killing my shrimp?

So what's the idea with the TDS? I am assuming the correct method is to remineralise the RO water to achieve your targeted TDS. Add daily EI fertilizer but only by the amount your plants are up-taking. So the TDS stays the same and doesn't climb?

Hi all,
So what's the idea with the TDS? I am assuming the correct method is to remineralise the RO water to achieve your targeted TDS. Add daily EI fertilizer but only by the amount your plants are up-taking. So the TDS stays the same and doesn't climb?
That is how some of us <"run our tanks low tech">. I use a conductivity datum range together with the <"Duckweed Index">.

I still haven't written a proper article for the "Duckweed Index", but the <"linked thread"> gives some of the background.

cheers Darrel

Unless this is a dedicated shrimp tank I would not worry too much about TDS

The whole concept of EI fertilisation is overdose on the ferts, to ensure there is always excess available for plants to use. Of course, full EI is not the only regime and you can tweak it to suit what you want.

I had this issue, the shop i buy my RO water from said they were adding remineraliser for me, turns out they weren't and after afew water changes i lost my whole CRS colony, now i dose it myself with salty bee remineraliser.

I had this issue, the shop i buy my RO water from said they were adding remineraliser for me, turns out they weren't and after afew water changes i lost my whole CRS colony, now i dose it myself with salty bee remineraliser.
Hi @Ash_bash

I know from personal experience never to trust high-street aquarist suppliers with RO water. The moral of the story is to take your TDS meter with you when buying your RO water. Test the water there and then whilst the shop attendant nervously watches on.

JPC

Back