• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape 5 gallon tank rock positioning(pics)

Daalamist

Seedling
Hi. I’m working on the hardscape for my first nano tank. I gathered some rocks from the beach and this is how I positioned them but I’d like opinions before I glue it. I’m
Planning on sloping my soil up toward the back left to cover the base stones. I’ll be keeping it quite simple and safe with S. repens mostly and maybe moss tied to the rock tops. Whilst I’m here, I have a question about glue. I only have regular all purpose glue. I take it that’s not strong enough and could possible poison the plants? Do I NEED aquarium glue?
56D8464A-C990-4095-822C-26B209539ABB.jpeg
E6FB8E81-E42C-45C1-80E4-233E6249B3B1.jpeg
6617DEE6-E011-4133-B858-0B44543DED35.jpeg

Daalamist

First thing take those rocks out before you have a broken tank and, make a rock tank to practice in. This is an elaborate one, they can be made from a cardboard box.
images

If you are using any glues in an aquarium there is an Aquarium safe Silicone glue.

You have at least three interesting rocks to work with not the two smaller ones on the front LH side. reason being they are flat and lack character.

Keith:wave::wave:

Any superglue which is based upon Cyanoacrylate will be waterproof and aquarium safe. It does not have to be aquarium specific but you need to get the gel type rather than the liquid type.

Agree with getting a cardboard box to practice in is a great idea, you need to just cut off the front panel, leaving an inch at the bottom to hold the substrate back. Get some cheap play sand or bag of cheap rice or something to use as substrate to practice with. It can also be really useful to google aquascapes you like and try to emulate them. Good luck :)

Thanks Keith and Matt. Have taken the precarious rocks out of the tank like a sensible person.
I guess I wasn’t overly worried about the tank because it only cost £3 and it ain’t a beauty. Still, can’t have a tank without a tank.
Right, shall buy the correct glue.
I have taken those boring rocks out of the design and you’re right it looks loads better and I can still have the slope. It also makes the arch lower and not so overwhelming.
Progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably want silicone for glueing uneven rocks, there may not be enough contact points for superglue. The silicone has a little bulk to it so will ooze to fill gaps.

I like it though :) Get a tray and some sand/gravel and you can add in the slop - makes things look completely different with substrate!

Get a tray and some sand/gravel and you can add in the slop - makes things look completely different with substrate!

Thanks! Do you mean the sand or gravel goes under the substrate to get the height? Could I use regular beach sand? Or small pebbles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back