• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

45 cm cube iwagumi, my first tank :)

When do you guys recommend trimming the Monte Carlo? When do the bottom layers start to rot? Or is that dependant on lighting? I'm thinking at 2.5-3cm trim it?

30466285010_ae26c6d996_c.jpg

6NvVBmT.jpg

U56HJpn.jpg

aQBHJSa.jpg

Hi everyone. Just an update. Not much changed. New job is keeping me busy so haven't had the chance to make all the changes I wanted to.

I'm getting heaps of bba. I've been getting this for ages. But only on the stones. I'm getting zero algae of any kind on the plants.

Seems this is usually inconsistent co2 , but Mines been rock solid for months. It's always yellow on the drop checker by nightfall and always same bps. Really weird.

After six months of no fatalities, in just two days three shrimp have died and an Otto jumped out of the tank and died. Water test kit says everything is fine. Everything else looks happy in the tank. Could this be a coincidence? My gut says something went wrong but I don't know what it could be.

All I can think of is the CO2 being too high. But my golden tetras are fine. Arggh :(

Maybe try frequent water changes for a couple weeks, add some carbon into the filter for a month or so ... is it easy to remove the main rocks & scrub out the BBA, then spray with Seachem Excel etc, let sit an hour or so, rinse well & return to tank (just in case the BBA is releasing some metabolites that are causing an issue)

Maybe try frequent water changes for a couple weeks, add some carbon into the filter for a month or so ... is it easy to remove the main rocks & scrub out the BBA, then spray with Seachem Excel etc, let sit an hour or so, rinse well & return to tank (just in case the BBA is releasing some metabolites that are causing an issue)
I performed water changes as suggested but the rocks are unable to be removed. But I have got the bba under control using flourish excel. Haven't lost a soul since. Back to normal :)

Still not sure what caused the multiple deaths, maybe the CO2, maybe the metabolites, maybe the heat (Australia, so sometimes hard to keep the temp at 25. Though I check it daily and only ever seen it go to 27).

I need to toughen up, I get really upset even losing one fish. It's just that their whole world is under my control. I hate the idea of them suffering because I did something wrong.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why my Monte Carlo is always melting? Ive had a healthy carpet for 5 months but the last few months the carpet is always translucent in areas.

Can a nutrient imbalance cause this? I'm a bit confused as everything seems fine. My ambulia is growing like a weed and my fissiden is also growing well. The Monte Carlo looks like when you spray excel over a plant and it dies off.

I do dose excel, can that cause a carpet to melt?

Have you any pics of MC?
Have you trmmed it lately?Sometimes it can look abit yellow and worse for wear for a few days after a trim.
It looks like crap for weeks. I think I'm over doing the trimming. Or maybe my scissors are blunt. They're Viv scissors though so should be okay.

QpdZxiz.jpg

Switched to the kessil a160 tuna sun. I wanted easier access to the tank and found the aquasky a bit too much light. I was growing an algae farm. Love the kessil, controller great too.

It will be interesting to see how it grows plants, I mostly see the 360 used in high-tech.

Did you find out why was Monte Carlo melting ?

Or this problem went away since you changed the lights ?

Thanks
Monte Carlo still melting, but I haven't had the new light long enough to know if it will solve the issue. I will update once it's been another week or two.

Great to see the update :D

Re MC melt I'd look to water column fertilizing (as your CO2 & light seem fine) - MC has more root structure than HC but I still suspect it needs suitable water column "food" if your growth is relatively fast
(I'm rather good at slow small growth MC ;) - never observe transparent leafs)

How big are your "gold" tetras now? still gold?

There are likely a couple species that ship as "gold" or "brass" tetras (all wild caught if displaying the "gold") - one species seems to remain considerably smaller ... last shipment at my lfs appeared to have both species

Kessil fan here too :cool:

Back