• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

4 week old tank - hair algae forest

gex23

So my tanks been setup about 4 weeks now.

Diatoms and hair algae appeared initially around 2 weeks ago, while the diatoms are reducing slowly, the hair algae has covered most of my moss / java fern / wood and now stem plants.

This is the setup i'm running / schedule :

- 60 x 45 x 45 cm tank
- ADA Aquasoil substrate
- Eheim 350 creating approx 10x water turnover
- Ecotech Radion XR15FW, with a photoperiod running from 11am to 9pm using the freshwater template, with the intensity scaling from 1% - 60% over the course of the day.
- CO2 injected via CO2art sodastream setup and inline atomizer (2 bps) running from 9am to 8pm
- 5ml Easycarbo liquid CO2 dosed daily
- 25 litre water change every second day using RO / DI water.

No fertilisers are being used right now as I assumed that the aquasoil would be enough to sustain the plants for the first couple of months?

Any thoughts?

I dose ferts right after setting up the tank. A lot of people will say aqua soil will provide enough nutrients, but better safe than sorry. First 3 weeks lighting at 6 hours and slowly to 8 hours. I don't go any higher. Try going higher in co2 but closely watch your livestock. If there is no livestock crank that co2!

Cheers, i'll reduce the photoperiod and also ordered an all in one liquid fertiliser from TNC as a stop gap until the EI fert kit comes back into stock.

I would say the lighting period is to long, I run 5 hours on all my tanks and generally algae is under control, also I dose from day one even with ADA soil and keep co2 levels at 30ppm over the lighting period.

Back