• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

36x18x18 Lighting With Shimmer

GlenD

Hello

I'm still in the planning stages for my new / first low tech planted tank. I plan on a 36"x18"x18" aquarium.

Now I'm all about the shimmer effect. Some strip LEDs have this to a greater or lesser extent. But to get a real good shimmer I'm guessing the Kessil, TMC Aquaray Tiles (any others) are the best option. What is the coverage for these lights? Could I get away - on a low tech system with a single Kessil A160 or TMC tile? Or would 2 x Kessil A80 be suitable?

Any help, advice, experience needed.

Floating plants and a good ripple on the surface helps too :)

TMC Aquaray give a nice shimmer effect.

The Grobeam 600 coverage is somewhat like 24" X 11". The coverage of the Grobeam 1500 is 24" X 24". They are without fans, fully passively cooled, with a 5 year's warranty, and IP67.

Michel.

Or you could do
2 x TMC GroBeam 1500 Ultima (6500K) on a 60cm x 45cm x 30cm high tank ;)

George's TMC Signature

These older journals are my favourites (check out George Farmer, Mark Evans (& a few others) for outstanding photography)
I believe all the video links are included in the journal ... or you can hop over to Geirge’s Youtube channel- just select “oldest first” to easily find them

Note that Kessil shimmer is distinct from any you’ll observe with these tiles (and most other LED) ... of course then you also get Ceiling Disco Ball :p

The warranty is the strongest with TMC Aquaray
(but contact them re limitations, initially this warranty only extended to original purchaser and was not transferable, there is also the “Whine” reported with some of these units which TMC insisted was not a defect/warranty issue, ie, buy from a vendor with good customer support or check units for noise before accepting (not so easy in a commercial setting))

Kessil has also had noise complaints re the fan
I have 3 x 160 and sound is only audible standing next to the lights, A80 and new 360X are fanless, I have an A80 kicking about but haven’t got around to an actual scape with it - but I don’t have any 45cm tall aquariums for decent comparison
I can pop it onto my (newly scaped) UNS 60 x 36 x 36cm and see how it looks

I have a single A160 on a 60 x 45 x 53cm high tank that grows most plants BUT this depends on careful hardscape re shading; I’ve also run my 90cm x 45 x 53cm high with 2 x A160 (but did rather wish for 2 x A360 at times, ie more light than needed so I could dim ;))

You might contact Riverwood Aquatics, Scaped Nature, Aquarium Gardens re Kessil 80 display tanks

The warranty is the strongest with TMC Aquaray

Kessil warranty sucks at 12 months for the price, I have 160 tunas x4 and had to send 2 back in warranty period, another fan stopped working in so had to take it apart to get it working again, little wiggle on the connector sorted it out by chance, the internal was all insulated

Love the shimmer of the kessils all the same but like Alto says the 360s are very nice too but you can only dim them to 50% but the 160 dim to 15%

It seems that Kessil conversion from US to UK format hasn’t been all that smooth - I’ve had no issues with mine
I spoke at length to the shop owner before purchasing (Reef shop that was switching all their sale and growth tanks over to Kessil after a couple years trial tanks)

Next time out, I’ll have to look again at the dimming on the A360 - I hadn’t noted the 50% minimum :oops:

Ok, thanks guys... Now I'm considering going from 90cm/36" to 80cm/30" length on the aquarium to lighting easier / cheaper...

I'm guessing a fixture like the TMC Aquaray 600 x 2 or Tile x 1 although stated spread of 24" would suffice on a 30" tank?

I suggest staying with the 90cm tank and planting only half initially - just carry wood/rocks into other side (for aesthetics) and use fine gravel substrate
Or
Do an island scape - position the single 1500 Ultima tile directly overhead

Once you reach 25 posts, the swap forum will be visible - the Grobeams come up only occasionally but at excellent price

Looking now,

Prime HD freshwater x 2

Twinstar 900 (likely sold)

Couple EA 900 kits ( neither marked sold but also not updated, worth a pm to enquire)

Of course the Aquascaper 600 is a fantastic tank, the extra width allows more livestock and species - and it’s cheaper to scape, plant, light, filter etc

Oase is doing a George Farmer workshop at the Forum in Norwich (July 11 12noon - 2pm), so look for similar events, there are often some specials or prizes

I suggest staying with the 90cm tank and planting only half initially - just carry wood/rocks into other side (for aesthetics) and use fine gravel substrate
Or
Do an island scape - position the single 1500 Ultima tile directly overhead

Once you reach 25 posts, the swap forum will be visible - the Grobeams come up only occasionally but at excellent price

This is a good point as I only like Island and Triangle scapes. So most the plants are going to be in the same place.

Strangely I feel like the A80 I have doesn’t dim as low as my 160’s ..... though perhaps this is an artefact of the design
(not convinced even as I entertain the possibility ;))

There’s definitely more “play” in the ON/OFF knob (of the A80) where nothing happens, then the light “catches”

Back