• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lindy

I somehow managed to convince my husband to let me buy a 30cm cube and set up a tank in the lounge for our dwarf puffer pair. I bought the tank on ebay and while it was described as an optiwhite I'm not convinced. Not complaining tho as cost £26 and was local so no postage.

imag1136w.jpg

The dwarf puffers I have come from the river Pamba in southwest india. This area has reddish soil/rock which I have based my substrate choice on. Someone on the website Dwarfpuffers.com was kind enough to list plants that are found in this area for the purpose of creating a biotope. I have chosen those which I think I can grow and which will fit in the tank.

The Details:

30cm cube tank
Eheim Ecco 130 (considering Gush lilypipe outlet)
11watt Fluval clip on

ADA Africana
Redmoore root
ADA Sado-Akadama rock

Java Fern mini
Hygrophila Difformus (wysteria)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Round Pelia
Hydrocotyle Tripartita is going to take the place of Hydrcotyle Sibthorpoides as it is much easier to grow re light and co2 requirements but looks very similar.

No co2 but will use liquid carbon. Not dosing EI unless deficiencies arise.

Will be getting a glass lid for the tank as the puffers like it hot and evaporation is a pain. Also looking to cover the whole shelf with something and considering a cork mat. It can be bought on the roll..

If you think Something is incorrect here please let me know as haven't ordered stuff yet:)

Thanks guys, going to take my time with this one as the fish can stay indefinately where they are while I fiddle with this.

Sounds great although twisted vallis doesn't like liquid carbon. I finally gave up with that and removed all the vallis from the tanks I use liquid carbon in, including my dwarf puffer tank. Once I squirted it in without looking where it was going and a couple of days later all the vallis leaves looked like they'd been sliced in half with a knife.

Make sure you have plenty in the tank to break up their line of sight. Even a male/female pair will frequently go for each other. Also see if you can site the tank in a busy part of the house because they are very nosy and love watching what is going on. Ours is in the kitchen.

Even if you don't like java moss, some sort of moss or grass would be appreciated by them to lay eggs in.

Thanks for info on vallis. I've had the puffers for around 18months now so I know their personalities very well. The female is very personable. The male thinks he's Rambo. Around 3pm everyday he decides It's mating time. The female is really good at hiding.

The male thinks he's Rambo.

that had me in giggles and got a weird "WTF" look from the girl friend :oops:

have you used the Light before? I've been looking for a nano light wondering if this is any good?

thanks,
Nutty

Hi, nutty. No I haven't used the light before but it should be sufficient for the plants I've chosen. May change it for an led like the one on my other tank, its a beamswork and has worked well for me. Too much light may give fast growth but can cause lots of problems too. Just ask CEG(Clive)
I just happened to have the light already.
Glad my puffer amuses you, you should see him in action! He has so much attitude but is only an inch or so long. After I wrote that post I thought of VinnieJones, prob more accurate description.

Very disappointing day. Delivery arrived from the green machine:) BUT not my stuff:mad: . This is the second order in a row this has happened with the green machine and to say I'm narked is an understatement. Tried to call to ask if I should post onto the intended recipient instead of TGM as there were plants in the delivery but then discovered they are closed on a monday. POO!!!

TGM have given me a £10 credit for my next visit to their online shop:) Will hopefully get my stuff thursday at the latest as its coming straight from the bloke who got my stuff and I've posted his straight to him. We are not a patient bunch.

Im looking forward to your new project, Indian Biotope, im googling as we speak!
mongabay it is :angelic:

I must get you talking to my wife;) if only she aquascaped!!

Do they not need brackish water?
No, these dwarf puffers come from a freshwater river. You can check them out on Dwarfpuffers.com

I must get you talking to my wife;) if only she aquascaped!!
Ha, wives talking isn't always a good thing. Anyway, If you both did this you'd be fighting over where the wood, rock plants went and what kind of substrate to use. My husband is happy as long as it looks nice!

The stuff from the greenmachine arrived today.

imag1197c.jpg

Looking Rooty enough?

imag1201.jpg

ADA Sado-Akadama stone. Started out 2 lumps and a pillowcase and hammer later I had this -
imag1203j.jpg

I think high plant mass is more important to them than lighting, they don't like a lot of open space. If there is lots of plants they will always be able to find a shady spot to lurk.

Hi Lindy,

Really like the wood and the idea of a biotope for the puffers. Think this is going to be look good. Good luck - I am following this journal.

Regards,

Andre

Really like the wood and the idea of a biotope for the puffers. Think this is going to be look good. Good luck - I am following this journal.
Wow, thanks!
Just ordered my plants fromTGM using the £10 voucher they gave me and they've given me free postage as well!
So plants are as previously listed but with Hygrophila Pinnatifida added for a bit of colour and to maybe take over from the H difformis if that doesn't do so well under the light i'm using. I chose the mini variety of java as its a wee tank.

Will look for some java moss on the for sale/swap forum unless people think Taiwan moss is allowable? Or Fissidens fontanus?

Monosolenium tenerum is found terrestrially growing along river and stream rocks of Hawaii, Japan, China, Taiwan, and India
I found this on an aquatic plant site so all might not be lost...

Back