• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30cm Cube - P@H Tank - Lighting Ok? Ferts? Co2?

nizmonet

Seedling
Hello everyone,

I been lurking around here a lot lately, so thought I would finally post and show my set up as it stands so far.

I have gone and set up a pets at home cube. The 27l size. I have stuck a 11w desk lamp over it and also added a 9w arcadia arc. They both have new daylight lamps in them.

I am a little confused as to the suitability of the lights, is this enough wattage? I would imagine its plenty for low light plants, however I am looking to grow something with a bit more challenge. Hence why I went and bought some red tiger lotus, micro sword, a variety of Hydrocotyle (the bigger variety) and also the smaller Hydrocotyle leucocephala. There is also a hygrophila pinnatifida at the back.

Heres hows its looking...,

2yxnrma.jpg

I am a bit lost on how much ferts and how often to dose. I do have some TPN+ which I have been adding about 3ml a week. In terms of lighting, I am wondering if I have chosen too demanding plants for 20w... I would like some really good growth, so I guess I am looking at co2 injection. I am still in two minds wether to go co2 or the liquid co2 route.

oh, dont mind the heater, its a temporary one :)

hi welcome to the forum. With that amount of lighting over that capacity, you're going to have to introduce some form of additional carbon dioxide (diy or pressurised), otherwise your more likely to see an outburst of algae as they tend to thrive in conditions where the balance isn't yet correct.

Hey! I thought that would be the case, there is already a dark brown algae on the hygrophila. I do have a hagen nutrafin kit, so i could do a little diy co2. It comes with the ladder difuser, however I would like to get a glass ceramic one.

a glass diffuser would be a much better choice than the ladder as the bubbles are much smaller, allowing it to dissolve better. How long has the tank been running for?

Yeah I have been taking a look at ebay at the diffusers. Untill the end of the month, my budget is a little tight, how essential is a check valve, drop checker and a co2 monitor ?

Its been going about two weeks, though I have used a filter which was running for a few months from another tank, and also used water from the other tank. The wood and anubias I have in the tank has been in the other tank for over a year.

check valve is essential as it allows the gas to flow in one direction. Regarding the drop checker, i have never owned or used one before, but have always had stunning results without it. It just indicates the amount of co2 in your aquarium.

Thanks logi-cat.

I best get ordering then! I am still in two about going diy or pressurised, slightly edging towards a nice pressurised setup, suppose its just funds that dictate! :lol:

The algae is already attacking the hygro at the back. Its due a water change and I'm going to switch it down to just the 11w lamp for now (if that helps to slow algae down...) just until I get the Co2 system up and running.

I was in The aquatics design centre in London this past weekend and they have probably about 8 different little nano setups and they all looked so lush with growth!

Thought I would come and do an update.

Well, I'm at work at the moment so can't get a picture, but was has happened is..

I've added on DIY Co2 using a nutrafin kit with the recipe in the Co2 section from ukaps.

The red tiger lotus has taken off like crazy, I've trimmed the four torn and sorry looking leaves off already and there are already another 3 leaves are just about touching the top of the tank! With loads more baby leaves at the bottom. Its going to take over the substrate.

The bigger variety of Hydrocotyle I've got in there has sent out two runners, and theres a few which have grown really tall and are reaching for the light. May be because they are in the front corner and the light intensity isnt quite as strong there, I may reposition my 9w arcadia lamp over it... is that a good idea?

The small hydrocotyle which is on the bottom hasnt done too much, got a tiny bit of brown algae on them, a few new laeaves, but nothing too noticable.

The microword "grassy" type plant hasnt done much, hasnt died, hasnt grown noticable. I want a easy carpeting plant, not sure what I could use...

When the lights go on, theres bubbles everywhere over the tank, the bigger hygrocotyle is pearling, the tiger lotus has loads of bubbles collecting under the leaves.

The algae, I think its thread algae, some bga, and possibly another variety, some of which are also pearling, not good....

I've changed the litle sand bit at the front to the same as the rest of the tank, it was a farm for bba. I'm hoping, and this is going by my "theory" :p that the sand was good conditions for it (it terms of low circulation, high light area). Hopefully it doesnt come back.

It will be hard to tell because I have already position the filter to blow from back to front, instead of along the back left to right. I am a little concerned about low circulation issues towards the bottom. Though I can see some leaves swaying.

I had to get rid of the hygro at the back, it was just melting away. This was before I got Co2 on the tank.

Now, some questions...

Co2, I want to add some livestock, can I be safe that I dont suffocate them long as I keep the filter breaking the surface of the water? My concern is at night when the lights are off that the levels rise. During the day the plants will be releasing lots of o2 so should be ok. I could just pull off the air pipe during the night, but thats a hassle and what if I forget ? As we all know DIY co2 is not consistent either.

I am looking for a good plant to grow on the surface, there is a bit of the bogwood which is very near the surface, is there something I can attach to this ? Perhaps something is not moss ? There is a plant I saw at a shop growing on the surface before, looking like HC, but does that grow on the surface too ?

Carpeting plants, any good suggestions ? My concern of course is enough light, I would imagine judging from logi-cats post, that its high light.

I need help to get a regime from yourselves. I been dosing about 3ml TPN+ after a 30% waterchange, each week.

The lighting times have been inconsistent due to my own fault really, its only probably about 6-8 hours at the moment, im looking for suggestions as to how long ? 6 hours ?

What could be causing the algae, Im guessing I need to get some consistency to my regime to help determine this.

Any help gratefully received! :D

Hello!

I thought people had forgotten about my thread, so not been here a while.

The tank has been growing like crazy, except for the microsword. Theres thread algae and I think bga algae in places. I've been told I need to keep up with water changes to help keep these at bay! I've been away and neglected tbh.

I'm regretting my choice of the red tiger lotus, its growing too quick and sapping all the light from the bottom.

I am using diy co2, but its very inconsistent. I also don't know anymore how much TPN+ I should be dosing, and when.

Just confused really... :crazy:

This behavior:
nizmonet said:
I am using diy co2, but its very inconsistent.

Always results in:
nizmonet said:
Theres thread algae and I think bga algae in places

You should invest in a gas injection system to get more consistent CO2 or you should supplement your CO2 with liquid carbon.

Cheers,

Yeah I am thinking one of the mini co2 kits, possibly a kit which takes the disposable cartridges. still need to calculate the costs associated though. Then again I don't really want to shell out a lot, so this may be the best option.

I was also wondering, ive got a bit of a snail infestation, the bloody buggers seem to be making up home in the glass diffuser ontop of the ceramic bit and making a slime all over the show. Probably eggs ? I've cleaned it out, but my thinking is this has also partially blocked the tiny holes in the disc, also preventing co2 coming through. When I first got the diffuser it went crazy with so many bubbles. This was tested with both new co2 mixtures.

Im off to the aquatics live show soon, so maybe I can snap up a bargain co2 kit there. Really looking forwards to it.

Back