• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30cm Cube journal

Joe Faria

Hi,
It's been a really long time since my last post here.
Time to show one of my next projects, started last tuesday.

It will be a very low tech set up, with easy maintenance plants, some Excel for carbon dosing and Tropica liquid ferts.
Set up:
Tank: 30x30x30cm DIY
Filtration: Aquaclear 20 HOB
Lighting: 16w t5 (2x8w)
Substrate: river sand
Hardscape: some river pebbles and Red Moor Wood

Flora:Java fern “Narrow leaf”, bolbitis heudeloti, anubias nana, anubias nana “petite” and vesicularia ferriei (weeping moss).

3835332008_08b95e570b.jpg

3834550401_d37d55cbc1.jpg

3838075670_57af125c81.jpg

George Farmer said:
Very nice.

I like the pebbles and gravel combination. Maybe some in-between size grains to break up the two distinct sizes resulting in a more natural transition?
Hi George,
Thanks for the sugestion... I'm indeed looking for some pea size gravel for it, but the colour combinations were horrible.
TDI-line said:
Great pics Joe and good choice of plants. :clap:
aaronnorth said:
looking forward to more updates, i love your tanks :thumbup: very natural
Tanks to both replies.
Glad you like the tank. Now it's time to let the tank mature and plants start to grow.

Hi Joe,
nice layout,lik George has said some different grades of gravel would finish it off nicely,

john

john starkey said:
Hi Joe,
nice layout,lik George has said some different grades of gravel would finish it off nicely,

john

thanks mate,
but I'm already looking for it and, if I can't find any pea gravel size of my taste, I will just pour a bit more sand at top of it.

Made a small adjustament putting a few more anubias at the base of the root and some sand between pebbles...
3843468203_d37669c18a.jpg

The plant it's not buried in the gravel, although it looks like from the pic. I just put the anubia between a few pebbles, then I add the gravel. Today most gravel have filled the gaps, so the roots are visible.
Thanks for your concern.

Yesterday I added the first member of the clean up crew... Atya Gabonensis or 'Vampire shrimp'.
Although looks scary it's a very peacefull invertebrate.
3895541995_28c058a043.jpg

WOW ive never seen a vampire shrimp!
Nice scape too. :thumbup:

30cm cube is definitely too small for gabonensis. This shrimp is going to have the length of half of your tank dimenisons.

Joe Faria said:
Yesterday I added the first member of the clean up crew... Atya Gabonensis or 'Vampire shrimp'.
Although looks scary it's a very peacefull invertebrate.
3895541995_28c058a043.jpg

oh my word.

every time someone comes to my house and takes a look at my two shrimp nanos the first thing they say is "can you eat them". with some of those monsters i could possibly answer yes.... :D

Best Regards,
John

p.s i obviously don't condone eating of pets 8)

Hi,
3 weeks passed since I set up the cube.
Plants are growing slowly but nicely, without any major concerns.
Because I didn't have a specfic clean up crew to clean and remove debris from the plants leaves, I decided to add a small colony of red cherry shrimp.
3926276408_672c003b16.jpg

The filter shrimp aka vampire shrimp it's very nice sight, since it likes to move pebbles and gravel around to get some cover and hide when it feels threatened.
3925487139_627f6bf842.jpg

This is how the cube looks like after 3 weeks.
3925463877_4d5c4aede4.jpg

It looks like that vampire shrimp has made that corner its home. It appeared in the exact same spot in both Sept 17 and Oct 7 pictures :D

Back