• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

300 liters planted (from Romania)

Humbert

Hi everybody, nice to be here.

My name is Liviu, I'm from Romania, I've been keeping planted tanks for the past 6 years and I'd like to present my current setup, which was started in June last year.

Some information:
- 300 liter tank (120cm X 50cm X 50cm)
- Substrate: Dennerle Deponit mix, covered with JBL Manado
- Daily fertilization with PPS Pro and trace
- 2 filters: JBL e901 and e1501
- lights: 4 X 54W, Osram 865, 8 hrs daily
- pressurised CO2 with ph controller, ph = 6.65

Current plant list: hedyotis salzmannii, hygrophila pinnatifida, cryptocoryne wendtii green, blyxa japonica, microsorum pteropus, microsorum trident, elatine hydropiper, elatine triandra, ammania bonsai, Lindernia rotundifolia, staurogyne repens, fissidens fontanus, echinodorus tennellus tennellus

Current animal stock: 5 angelfish, 6 german rams, 15 rummy nose tetra, 10 black neons, 10 cardinal tetras, 4 cory cat, 4 ancistrus, 5 SAE, 4 kuhly; a lot of Red Cherry shrimps and snails

day 1
ziua113962.jpg

3 months
resizeof4l.jpg

6 months
3luni.jpg

10 months
acvari-1397584423.jpg

11 moths (current)
20140412va.jpg

movie @ 9 months (available also in HD)

Last edited:
Hi Martin
I do not know the exact KH value in my tank because I do not do any testing, but I am lucky to live in a city with good water for planted tanks, i.e. KH in tap water is somewhere between 4 and 6.

regarding lights, actually for 9 months I worked with only 2 neons for 8 hrs, due to some issues with BBA which I had from the start.
my current programe is 2 tubes for 8 hrs and 2 tubes for 6 hrs.

my current programe is 2 tubes for 8 hrs and 2 tubes for 6 hrs.

.Uhm...14 hours of light....???

I guess you mean 2 hours 2 tubes and 6 hours 4 tubes... right?

anyway...do you use any kind of power heads or wave makers next to your filters to get more current? Do I see it correct the you have 1 filter outlet at the front of the tank (facing to the right) and 1 at the back (facing to the left)?

I hope you don't mind me asking all those questions

Hi, I am glad to share whatever experience I have so go ahead and ask whatever you want to ask. :)

1. lights of course run at the same time, so yes, I meant 4 tubes for 6 hrs and only 2 tubes for another 2 hrs.
this is the exact programme:
- 14:00 hrs - 2 tubes start
- 15:00 hrs - the other 2 start
- 21:00 hrs - 2 tubes are off
- 22:00 hrs - the remaining tubes are off

2. you are correct in identifying the setup of the filter outlets. In the front I have the outlet of the JBL e1501, which outputs considerably more than the e901 and it is positioned so that it has open water in front of it. I've had this e1501 only for the past 3 months, when I replaced my old Eheim 2224 because I was not satisfied with the degree of mechanical filtration and flow in this aquarium.

so yes, before getting the e1501 I have used a wave maker positioned on the front left, facing to the right.
now I feel it is no longer needed due to the e1501, but as you may know, with JBL filters, the flow reduces drastically after a few of months, so in the near future I may need to either clean the hoses on the e1501 (which I loathe) or consider re-installing the wave maker.

Love the textures in that tank! What carpeting plant is that at the front? I can't quite see it. Did you spread it out at 10 months?

hi, thank you.

1.lights are T5, Osram 865.
2. the carpet plant at the front is Elatine hydropiper, aka mini-glosso (I think). I am very fond of it because it is less demanding than HC "Cuba" in terms of light (it has grown marvellously only with 2 X 54W) and because it is much better anchored in the substrate than HC.

after 9 months I noticed however that underneath the carpet there was a lot of dirt and I had to take the carpet out and replant it (I almost never vacuum the substrate in any of my tanks).

edit: I have updated the plant and animal list in the first post

Last edited:
nice, Whats lucky enough to live amongst those loverly plants then?:)

Beautiful, seeing a scape like this spurs me on to keep perservering :)

I can't believe how beautiful this tank is.
How jelous you make me feel and how I just want to take my 240 litre out of storage and try something like this.
Well done mate.You definitely have some skills.

Back