• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3 Nano 'heterogeneous' Triptych - The end.

I would say from experience from many walstads,that air pumps do indeed force co2 out of the water column. What I can recommend that will work for your grass is a very very small water pump. U can buy these on Ebay for less than 5 quid. It's a shame I'm so obsessed with the cleanliness of my tank otherwise I would remove the grass and fill with Riccia. My two 30 percent water changes a week allow for the water to stay clean but going down this route has affects. I think it's important for people to know that it works and works well but can not imitate a fast flowing tank. I think adding a water pump would not change the fact it's walstad in any way. After all the plants are the best filters u can buy. The begging of the walstad cycle is the most painstaking as things have not yet developed and progressed. This has been a battle but keeping on top is fine. I think u will be fine if u follow the steps etc. avoid air pumps if u have fast growing pumps. Water flow and plants is enough to build oxygen for the fish :) please do let me know your plans as I think it would be great for other walstad users to start commenting. Although I have ordered filters for these tanks I have 2 other tanks that are walstad, one being the jungle tank that is working amazingly well. I change it's water now once a month and clarity and cleanliness is superb. So it does work. It absolutely does :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Another update then I guess..

Its monday today so this weekend I have been at Aquatics Live seeing the people who know best.. saw some absolutely stunning scapes.. Also received a sh*t load of free plants and wood which Im incredibly thankful for.. if it wasn't for this I wouldn't be updating so soon, but managed to get so much pogostemon helferi and cuba and rotala I had to get it into my tank. The cuba may not last too long so I guess if anyone wants it then PM me. but Ill see. Im dosing well and adding carbonated water so i thought hey lets give it a whirl!

This was my overall fav.. it gave me so much inspiration, that day I cut my own 900x200x300mm optiwhite glass tank and packaged it ready to build as a next project :)

8178895713_122f28e5f9.jpg
P1040378 by Jack Dicker, on Flickr

This is what I managed to salvage from Graeme (one of the UKAPS competitors)

8179064493_e09bed36c0.jpg
20121112_095325 by Jack Dicker, on Flickr

after planting and allowing time to settle I took some quick snaps.. here are the two tanks I managed to plant.. the tank on the far right is in the middle of a re-scape as the riccia I bought off ebay was so bad I decided I had to re order and re plant.. a photo of the whole set up will go up soon..

8179066107_2e6fba41bb.jpg
20121112_113159 by Jack Dicker, on Flickr

8179067557_24e78e94b9.jpg
20121112_113212 by Jack Dicker, on Flickr

8179069843_08c6e73b92.jpg
20121112_113223 by Jack Dicker, on Flickr

I think after seeing so many brilliant tanks not giving the praise they need to due bad camera quality I have decided to buy the mrs an SLR for xmas.. ;)

They are looking really green and lush. I know what you mean about photos not doing justice, I'm hoping my husband will buy a better camera soon...

Yeah it really is annoying.. the only way I can get it looking good is if i photoshop it and try and play with the colours etc. only this is a painstakingly long process and the mrs keeps going on at me to get her a camera for xmas so.... I guess I will.. for her that is.. ;)

Ahh mate it would be good to experiment with for definite. In the middle tank I have some tiger endlers.. very very cool black and yellow tiger stripped formation. seem to be breeding quite fast so they are working nicely whilst the tanks mature. when the next breed comes I can ship the new lot into another tank. money has come to a grinding halt so need to try and think of other means. The tiger endlers seem to work nicely though :)

what sort of money are you after for the peacock moss? If you lived close I could offer you some tiger endlers! :lol: :lol:

japanese blues sound cool. my friend is breeding blue neon endlers so expecting a few of those soon too. thanks for the free moss buddy. Ill definitely pay it forward :) ill PM you my adress mate.

Cheers tim :)

These are really cool little setups!

I admire your ability to grow plants so well in nano tanks; I can never maintain conditions stable enough unless I have more water volume.

Thanks hydrophyte..

I guess my trick is just constant maintenance... 2 w/c's a week of 30-40% and a stable fertz dosage system. BUT I hve had to reduce lighting as Im getting green specs on my dragonstone.. I have disconnected a bulb and done a 90% w/c as well as reduced the lighting down to 6 hours. I hope I can do this for a week or so whilst I clean my rocks using a toothbrush! I have got the third tank filled and planted now so Ill get a few photos up of the whole set up shortly.. :)

Jack

e5aduhep.jpg

Here u go...

yhaqe7a3.jpg

The carbonated water has got me interested in trying it. But got a question about. Does it get put in while its fizzy or do you wait for it to go flat? Sorry for the if this sounds noobish just want to check to make sure I do it properly.

Never really though about it like that...

if it goes flat then the carbonated water is no longer carbonated, so fizzy water is the best as it still holds the full co2 element. If flat it would just be flat water.. (this is my assumption) For a larger aquarium I would suggest it would be a waste of time and fizzy water lol but for nano tanks I think its a good idea. That along with excel works just fine. you do how ever need to buy fresh bottles before you have even used it all. the more you open the bottle the less carbonated the water is.. so I buy small bottles so it lasts longer.. if that make sense? I assume what im saying is correct and that when the fizz is gone so is the carbonation.. it sounds like common sense but now you have made me question myself! lol... can anyone clarify? A technique I use is to replace the bottle once half full so that you get a constant level of accuracy.. i said 6ml every day but as the bottle declines in carbonation I increase the dosage..

hope that helps.

Jack

To Tim! I tried emailing you about the peacock moss but doesn't work! I'm still really interested if you have the trimmings?

Jack :)

Looking good!

How are you finding the hang-on filters? Are they the EasyAqua ones? Got a nano on the way myself, so considering them as an option in lieu of a canister filter.

Back