• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2nd Attempt at co2 injection

faizal

Low tech tanks are really awesome in the sense that it demands so very little of your daily attention. I love it,...but I am also bored :D . So I thought i'd give CO2 another try. I have only managed to get the hardscape down. It's going to be a very very slow process mainly because I don't want to rush things this time around.

This little fella is only 5.5 US gallons .

14062011143.jpg

Substrate: New AS Amazonia with fine white sand ( I have forgotten its name).
Light is a hang on PL lamp.
Filter: Aquanic 500 ( China made filter with a 105 GPH rating).
CO2 : UP Aqua ( it's working now thanks to Foxfish & Gmartin :) )

I was thinking of some of these plants :

Limnophila sp. vietnam (along the left bachground) - This was one of the first species that melted on me previously
Rotala Indica Blood Red (background)
Rotala Wallichii

Mid ground : Crypt.petchii, Crypt. Tropica,
Fissidens & anubias petite tied to the wood- (My high hopes of making it look like a tree)
Riccia on slates for foreground cover .

Kindly let me know what you think. As always,....truly appreciate your inputs.

I would not have lasted this long without the countless help I have received on this forum.

Don't!!! :silent: Come to think of it ,...did u mean that in a cute sort of way, :shifty: ....or should I change that wood?

It's a nice layout.

I dont like to critique hardscape, as so many times, they work when they shouldn't.

However, i reckon, possibly, the wood could be moved to the left slightly. Leave the piece encroaching the sand.

The main piece, for me, is invading the potential, 'open area' to the right. It's not quite 'balanced' for me.

:thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
It's a nice layout.

I dont like to critique hardscape, as so many times, they work when they shouldn't.

However, i reckon, possibly, the wood could be moved to the left slightly.

Hi Mark :) Thank you for checking out my post. I can't move the main wood to the left as it is actually pressing against the left glass under that substrate,....unless of course if I sawed it further. Or do you think I should go for another wood. Might drop by to the local LFS,....this weekend to pick up a few more & try out a different one.

Hi,.. :) .

So I bought some new driftwoods over the weekend. The tank's not looking like much but I kept telling myself that this is just an attempt at growing aquatic plants sucessfully with co2.

So this is how it looks like now,....it's not an aquascaper's delight by any standards ,....in fact I'm not sure what to think of it really,....just sort of went with the flow. :lol:

10072011189.jpg

I am going to take Mark's advice on Echinodorus tenellus for an easy foreground cover plant. Maybe some eleocharis parvula at the rear right background behind that thin & curvy driftwood piece. What do you guys think?

Anubias, Crypt petchii or Tropica, Limnophila sp vietnam, Rotala blood red, Hygrophila sp portovelho, Rotala Wallichii long leaf,etc

That driftwood on the left there looks kind of "sunken" into the substrate,....i need to raise it up to give it a tree effect but it lacks length . Maybe I should nail it to another wood to raise it up. I am planning to glue in US Fissidens onto the "branches".

Like I said ,....I want to take it slowly with this setup. No hurries.

Do the plant choices sound okay?

In a small tamnk, i'd be inclined to choose smaller leaved stems, such as Hemianthus micranthemoides and Micranthemum umbrosum. :thumbup:

IMHO, the branches look too similar, both similar height and both pointing in the same direction with exact distances from each other, top to bottom. Nature doesn't do grids and planned townships :D Try moving the left branch so that its not a mirror image of the right one.

You haven't left enough space behind for stems too? You'll need quite a few inches for it to bush up nicely :thumbup:

Okay ,.... :) . I will try some different then. ;) Like I said,....I am just testing my ability to grow plants sucssfully with co2,....aquascaping is a whole new ball game. Anyways,..I will try to make an attempt at it.

foxfish said:
At least you get an honest opinion on this forum :D
Keep up the good work faizal, you enthuseasum will get you there in the end :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers foxfish .

Absolutely, :D ....I am learning how to keep a planted tank and these are constructive critisms and advices from much more experienced aquarists. It SHOULD be taken in a positive manner. Otherwise,....the whole point of this journal is lost.

Your guidances are invaluable. That's the reason I keep coming back :D .

Okay,...here it goes:

Option No 1 :

11072011200.jpg

Option No 2 :

11072011196.jpg

The image below is to give an idea of how much open planting space I've got for the background plants :

11072011199.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Faizal

Ummm,....Option No 2 sort of looks better doesn't it? More planting space for the background plants just like flygja had suggested & kind of looks less crowded too. A lone lone fissidens tree,....alone,....'Hmmmmm I think I am losing it. :crazy:

I'm thinking Christmas moss wrapped around the main stump on the left, will look great. Have a bit of hairgrass in there as well.

nice hardscape.

lol i'm no genius, the hardscape looks like a classic filipe oliveira, so this is what would IMO go best. I reckon you really could get alot out of this scape if done well.

ianho said:
.......... the hardscape looks like a classic filipe oliveira, so this is what would IMO go best. I reckon you really could get alot out of this scape if done well.

:wideyed: That's about the sweetest thing I've heard all day!!! I am a bit shell shocked with that actually!!

Thanks for the kind words Ian,....I will try my best not to disappoint you. :D

I am very sorry for taking too long with the hardscape. This is my final scape. Now comes the hardest part,...growing plants successfully :)

Thank you for all the kind suggestions.

18072011216.jpg

The plants are going to take about a week to arrive. Can't wait to start it .

My Plant choices are

background: Limnophila sp vietnam, Rotala wallichii long leaf, Micranthemum umbrosum
Mid: nana petite, Hygro sp portovelho
Foreground: E.tenellus,
Christmas moss & fissidens tied to the woods
Hairgrass at the right backround there.

Hi everybody,...I will be getting the plants tomorrow. So,..I was wondering if I could keep the photoperiod at 6 hrs,...or should I keep it at just 5 hours to ease the transition?

faizal said:
Low tech tanks are really awesome in the sense that it demands so very little of your daily attention. I love it,...but I am also bored :D . So I thought i'd give CO2 another try. I have only managed to get the hardscape down. It's going to be a very very slow process mainly because I don't want to rush things this time around.

This little fella is only 5.5 US gallons .

14062011143.jpg

Substrate: New AS Amazonia with fine white sand ( I have forgotten its name).
Light is a hang on PL lamp.
Filter: Aquanic 500 ( China made filter with a 105 GPH rating).
CO2 : UP Aqua ( it's working now thanks to Foxfish & Gmartin :) )

I was thinking of some of these plants :

Limnophila sp. vietnam (along the left bachground) - This was one of the first species that melted on me previously
Rotala Indica Blood Red (background)
Rotala Wallichii

Mid ground : Crypt.petchii, Crypt. Tropica,
Fissidens & anubias petite tied to the wood- (My high hopes of making it look like a tree)
Riccia on slates for foreground cover .

Kindly let me know what you think. As always,....truly appreciate your inputs.

I would not have lasted this long without the countless help I have received on this forum.

This is far better layed out. :D

Back