• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

284L low tech with dry start

I am hoping I could replace my sand in a similar way without disrupting everything else if I rinse it really well beforehand.

If it’s only a small amount of sand you could just replace with fresh? I mix old sand with our compost for potting plants so it gets more use.

If it’s economy you’re after hoover the sand out into a bucket, replace with fresh and you can clean your old sand at your leisure for the next change out.

Heading in the right direction. Was able to suck up the old sand easily and replace it with new, and there's nothing quite like a razor blade for getting the algae off the glass quickly and completely.
DSM_n_20200615.JPG

I knew it has been awhile since posting but I didn't realize it was a whole year! Garden and house exterior plus 2 jobs took all my attention for the last several months. I did a half rescape with all the fish still in the tank back in March and it has grown in since then. I have mostly neglected this tank but the fish and shrimp population is stable and by now it is down to easy plants. Crypts seem to like the conditions; I will lean on them heavily in future scapes.
20210610_152400 (2).jpg

Back