• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

220L Aquascape 2024 - Beginning

Lia Joy

Journal capturing the progression of my first aquascape so far...

220L, 900L x 500 W x 500 D, Chihiros light, CO2 injection (strideways, in-line), Eheim Pro 4+ filter (heater built in)

Aquarium: ND Aquatics
Steel frame on wheels

In a hard water area and have seiryu stone

Dark start method for 9 weeks - (long time partly due to waiting for light). Water turned clear in this time and some bottle brush algae grew on the wood.

IMG_7722.jpg

Drained tank for planting. Kept filter running into a bucket to keep bacterial population alive

IMG_8273.jpg

Filled with fresh water

IMG_8275.jpg

Turned light and CO2 on
Light: 90% intensity, 8 hours, 30 min ramp up and down
CO2: 1 bubble a second, turned on 1 hour before light and off same time as light
Trialling 2ml of 2hr Aquarist complete fertiliser per day

Day 1: just after planting
day 1.jpg

Week 1: Checked parameters and bought 12 albino tetra and 4 amano shrimp
20% water change - will do weekly and adjust if needed

IMG_8359.jpeg

Week 2: made a lid (for practical reasons and temporary)

IMG_8395.jpeg

Overall plants are growing well and fish and shrimp also doing well. Some algae on glass, bottle brush algae on wood and now seeing some hair algae. Will monitor and lower light intensity if needed.

What do you think? Any advice also welcome

Nicee but 90% is alot of light for new scape, is that wrgb2?
As your plants are young and you're getting algae I'd personally run 60% light, 10% blue if you have the option to dim it, that will help with starving algae, and up your water change to 2 drums 60ltr twice a week. 2 pumps of fertiliser daily in the morning. Once it's dying off 50% water change weekly and increase your lights 5% every month. You're using a strong light so 90% would be ideal for adult established plants. Good luck 👍

As your plants are young and you're getting algae I'd personally run 60% light, 10% blue if you have the option to dim it, that will help with starving algae, and up your water change to 2 drums 60ltr twice a week. 2 pumps of fertiliser daily in the morning. Once it's dying off 50% water change weekly and increase your lights 5% every month. You're using a strong light so 90% would be ideal for adult established plants. Good luck 👍
Thank you for the advice - last week I changed the light intensity to 65% for all but will try turning the blue lower. I will also up my water changes 👍

Back