• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

20g new red cherry setting up help please

chop81 said:
Hi! Yes our water is like liquid rock, but Ive got RO filter but used TMC remineral acording to instruction and my paramets are a bit higher then should. Now Im thinking about fulvic grain from benibachi just not sure how big is this bag. Do I need to do water change before use fulvic grain

Don't buy anything yet, you might not need to. If your using RO water and your parameters are that high then something in the tank is buffering the water. I suspect the TMC stuff you use but i can't be sure as i have never used it. Have you got any sort of rock in your tank?

basil said:
Sentral said:
You only need these shrimp specific substrates if you're using RO water as they'll buffer the PH and give you a good GH. If you're using tap water they'll stop buffering within a few weeks rendering it pointless spending all that money! Akadama is real cheap and inert, so you could control PH by using other methods such as alder cones or cattapa leaves etc if needed.

It's a good point and one that i missed the point of completely when i was new to shrimping. I put ADA Amazonia into my tanks purely because i was told to use an active substrate in my shrimp tanks.......at the time i didn't realise quite why I was adding this expensive gravel!!

I think now, as i understand water parameters a little more that i could have probably managed with a bog standard inert gravel i was fortunate enough to have water out of the tap very close to where it needed to be for the shrimp i wanted to keep.

So, my new crs shrimp tanks will be set up using standard gravel and not active substrates.........watch this space!

The problem with using standard gravel will be your KH. Kh readings need to be 0 or as close to it for the CRS to breed, your going to struggle to keep your KH at 0 and ph stable without using an active substrate.

We need UK suppliers for shrimp substrates, it's not economically viable to spend £40 on a small bag getting it hopped over from Germany!

A lot of the guys over on shrimpnow say that the active substrates lose their life very quickly with tap.

Back