• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

200w heater safe in 54 liter tank?

DanMac

Hi I would like to swap my internal for an external filter in the near future,I currently have a 100w heater but the lowest watt external heater's seem to be 200.

Would that be ok in my 54 liter?

Cheers.

Good, on a few descriptions they are described as 'more reliable' than internal filters ,hopefully thats true.

Otherwise its unexpected fish n chips for dinner:hungover:

Hi, well you only need a 50w heater for that tank. The only problem I can see is if the thermostat breaks which does happen and the heater is stuck on full and cooks your fish.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I would prefer a lower watt but so far the lowest on an external I have seen is 200, surely there are others out there who have an overpowered external for there small tanks? unless there is such a thing as a 50-100 watt external that is..

I'm in a simular position of preferring an external heater but I have only 40 litres, so the issue of coming home to a shoal of poached fish is an even greater potential problem. The only solution was to perhaps add some insurance with a separate thermostat in the loop set to 2-3 degrees higher. With all the hassle, I'll probably end up choosing fish who like it at between 19-24 C and forget the heater all together.

Quick google, fluval E series. They do a 100w external

as dazzer said i only need a 50w for my tank so going by that wouldnt my current 100w kill them all anyway if it failed? if thats the case I might aswell get the 200w external, my internal heater is a cheap chinese one so that is more likely to fail than a £40+ external surely?

Ignore my last post, on my phone so miss read, its electronic screen etc not external. Oops

I just searched the fluval e series heaters and they are all internalo_O

edit: ah ok no worrys

They would all kill them
50 watt would kill
100 watt would kill in half the time
200 watt would kill in a quarter of the time
If your heater has a bi metalic thermostat it will fail sooner or later i change my heaters every 2-3 years beacuse of this. Touch wood i havnt had one stuck yet but im sure i will one day

Thats..sort of good news for me but terrifying lol, I might aswel get a 200w external then, cheers

Good, on a few descriptions they are described as 'more reliable' than internal filters ,hopefully thats true.

Otherwise its unexpected fish n chips for dinner:hungover:

That's what happened with my Hydor, 200w over 70l, one morning belly ups all over, luckily I was there and some survived. Learned my lesson and went by to my trusty internal heaters.

Mike

The hydor 200w is what i have my mind set on :eek:

I run a 200W Hydor on my 60 liter tank, as already said it will be fine inless it sticks on. But the same can be said for any heater that sticks on. You just have less time to notice the problem with a heater with more power.

That's what happened with my Hydor, 200w over 70l, one morning belly ups all over, luckily I was there and some survived. Learned my lesson and went by to my trusty internal heaters.

Mike

That's made up my mind- I'm definitely using a separate thermostat if I end up heating my water!

mr teapot funny that, I just read livewires comment and have decided to go for it lol, cheers guys

Could you not run the heater with an atc 300 ? These are set by you to whatever temp you want and cut off the heater when its there would one of these safeguard against a stuck on heater ? If so it could be perfect for peace of mind

Back