• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

uv sterilizers has its place and really should only be needed in a qt if you have a healthy aquarium from the get go it is not needed at all. flow and size of unit needed in my opinion bigger the better and slowest flow possible without heating the water is my advice. and like zeus has just stated try to eliminate air pockets by mounting vertically i.e water in from the bottom and out the top and not how tmc advertise their product (horizontal). and lastly if you do buy one dont forget to clean the quartz glass within your maintenance schedule as it gets gunked up pretty quick.

Connected the vectons in line.
Measured the flow at aprox 1,200LPH on a 10k pump :O

Thats some flow reduction!!!
I mainly blame the small 20mm pipe, 4 x 90deg elbows and the head of 1.5m. Need to rethink.

For now, bugs are getting zzzaped!!!

20181116_115828.jpg

Thanks for reading
Fil

Green water caused by an ammonia spike

I am expecting another one.
The vectons are now on, and if they get rid of the green water, the ammonia will creep up until the filter is mature enough to process it.

Thanks for reading
Fil

Hi
Have U thought about using floating plants to mop up ammonia and help with balancing tank out ?
I find them exceptionally efficient in initial and not only tank stages.
Regards Konsa

You can always dose Prime or AmQuel (not Amquel+ as this removes nitrates) to remove ammonia. I and many others have used this technique for emergency fish tank operation when not possible to cycle a tank.

You can always dose Prime or AmQuel (not Amquel+ as this removes nitrates) to remove ammonia.

Good tip!
Although I have a worry.

My filter needs to mature asap, to handle the excess ammonia the green water is currently processing.

By adding prime, aren't I just delaying the inevitable? Or can I somehow step-dose it until the dose is zero and my filter is mature and handling all the ammonia.

Thanks for reading
Fil

I have, briefly.

The light at the water surface is spread very unevenly. Not even duckweed wants to grow properly

Thanks
Fil
Hi
I have grown Dwarf watter lettuce and Amazon frogbit in shaded corner(never gets direct sun) in my back yard for lasy 2 years and even have some there now.Think most floating plants failure is due to too much surface agitation and plants being bashed all over.I grow mine sectioned with fishing line just under the surface so they don't move arround and are growing like wild fire all the time with or without strong light over it.
Regards Konsa

By adding prime, aren't I just delaying the inevitable? Or can I somehow step-dose it until the dose is zero and my filter is mature and handling all the ammonia
Not really. The ammonia gets converted to bio available nitrogen compounds and filter still matures.

I had to do it when I bought a 2nd hand tank with fish. There was no mature media available as everything had been cleaned ready for transport, including all the old filter media thrown away. The supplied substrate (sand) been washed and cleaned and dried for me as well. So basically had to cycle the tank with fish in, daily water changes with dechlorinator to remove ammonia. Ammonia test kits showed zero, which may or may not have been true as some dechlorinators interfere with test kits, which I was unaware of at the time. Anyway fish all survived form many years and bred like...fish.

I'm getting good at this water change thing Ive been told is a cure-all! ;)

I'm using the return plumbing to create a back syphon to drain the tank, then add prime and fill it back up straight from the tap with 24 degree water.
Takes a while but requires little of my attention.

Missed seeing my tiger lotus...

20181117_125707.jpg
20181117_125753.jpg

What fish are you planning to keep in this or still not decided? Are you gona replace the rummy nose? Obviously not all in one hit again, regardless of the size of the tank I don't think it was ready for 300 fish Due to how new the setup is.

Starting to look great now, really filling it and maturing nicely!

Cheers

Conor

Hi all,Green water caused by an ammonia spike as the Rummy-noses started to die.

cheers Darrel
I also think the combo of 300 rummies intro and probably a few died initially to either being week from shipping/ stress along with the feeding them would have a massive impact on the bio load to cope with!

Back