• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2 types of wood

Markn76

I'm looking to fill a gap in my hardscape and wondering if you could use 2 different types of wood ???
I've only used oak to hide the filter inlets and outlets and I don't really want to use oak again but think a bit more shape will look better to me
Has anyone done this ?

What does the oak look like in the tank? If you'd like it to match have a look at wood thats been in a tank a while when picking as the colours change a lot a few weeks in, so if you are worrying it will look vastly different it may not given a bit of time.

I'm looking to fill a gap in my hardscape and wondering if you could use 2 different types of wood ???
I've only used oak to hide the filter inlets and outlets and I don't really want to use oak again but think a bit more shape will look better to me
Has anyone done this ?
The selection of wood is mostly about combining complementary shapes and not that much about the type of wood. The wood will usually end up virtually looking all the same after a while, especially if you use mosses and epiphyte plants. Aquascapers do use different types of wood, for example, thin pieces of wood combined with larger pieces of wood to add detail. If the different pieces you are planning to use work well together, then I would go for it.

This is it. Yeah it is the colour I'm more concerned about being similar, I was thinking of having thinner bits that look like they're branching off the ones already in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20220114_213206_183.jpg
    IMG_20220114_213206_183.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 138
This is it. Yeah it is the colour I'm more concerned about being similar, I was thinking of having thinner bits that look like they're branching off the ones already in there.
Just give it a few months. Those pieces of wood will be behind the plants and/or covered in moss…

1642716385779.jpeg

That's nice looking wood shape wise, but not really any different colour wise to how most aquarium wood ends up. If you don't want the ugly stage where they don't match you could soak it seperately for awhile until it darkens :)

Back