• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2 gallons aquarium fish ?

eminor

Hello, i know little about fish, i want to put fish in my 2 gallon tank, it run filterless, what fish can i put in that tank ? thx

In that tank size you won't get natural fish behaviours, even if you're on top of water chemistry etc, which is food for thought.

Shrimp though are a better option, though if filter less I'd suggest you have a high plant biomass established first!

Edit: forgot about betta's, can be done, but you'll find people on either side of the debate

Last edited:
I consider that I'm still a newbie, but I'd recommend any beginner to read first, and the bible for stocking is seriously fish, Seriously Fish — Feeling fishy?, which is easily accessible and helps make it clear why fish need space. There are also stocking calculators. After consulting those basic guides it is a great idea to post on sites like this and ask advice on what species go together. Invariably the more experienced keeper will say "I'd suggest more room", in almost any case. Most fish that we keep live in rivers, that's a good place to start imagining their needs from. Not all shrimp are easy to keep. It's so worthwhile taking your time and reading widely.

I would have said Siamese fighter but having seen them in the very small tanks in Pets at home I wouldn't be that cruel. Go for shrimp like AlecF said.

A shrimp fish.

Just because they are one of the coolest fish I've ever had the pleasure to look after, this is what shrimp fish means to me

1661276311670.png

From Shrimpfish Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from Dreamstime

Probably betta fish. Some shrimp or snails are acceptable, but in my opinion, it's too small for a betta. You can keep the water quality consistent, but simply don't have much capacity and the betta won't live its full lifespan.

Yeah, 2 gallons is sad, really. A betta would live, but whether it would actually live or just survive... That's a whole other question.
Get a decent tank, a 10gal will set you back 30 bucks in the US, even cheaper in LatAm. Then skimp on everything else, but not tank size.

Hello, i know little about fish, i want to put fish in my 2 gallon tank, it run filterless, what fish can i put in that tank ? thx
Agree with majority. Ive run a 16L planted tank with shrimp and 4-6 endlers in it successfully for nearly 2 years now. Have to keep up with constant maintenance and have to ensure water parameters are always good as a slight change will effect everything. From my experience i would not stock any livestock in a 8L it will end in heartbreak. Go for the biggest tank you can

That is one of cool looking fish!

According to picture you just sent it’s only marine isn’t it?

Hi Piotr, yes marine only. The sea seems to have allowed for a more diverse evolutionary expansion, so the weird and the wonderful is more common. These fish have evolved to live in sea grass and coral wherever sea urchins live. They have the black stripe and head down position because they use the sea urchins for protection and hide in their spines but if you think that's strange there is also a fish that hides up a sea cucumbers bottom.

Back