• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2 filters or 1 filter and circulation pump

Trebor127

Thought best to post my question from my introduction post in here as it may get more views...I am setting up a new aquarium. It is 100cm x 40cm and I currently only have a Eheim 2075 pro 3.

My question is what should I do for best flow...

1 - Use the one filter and one spraybar (thinking of using the glass ones) (2 400mm bars linked together)

2 - Purchase another external filter, maybe an eco pro 300, and use each filter with separate 400mm spraybars from each end of the tank - intakes at either end of tank at rear.

3- Use the current Eheim pro 3 filter with 2 400mm spraybars and a circulation pump placed in rear corner pointing down towards front glass.

I'm only asking as I am fancying the glass spray bars and obviously will purchase closed ended ones if you think I should get separate filters...

Hope this makes sense, writing it quickly whilst at work :rolleyes:

Rob

This is interesting something I have been pondering myself. In my 215litre tank I use a 2000 l external with spraybar full length along back and small powerhead,still cant configurate its best position. George Farmer for one seems to prefer the two externals(I aint got room in cabinet)with lily pipes at opposite ends,for me I would like the spraybars at one end.if they were effective.Dont know? And powerhead at opposite.The Fluval U4 is a good internal if it could be incorporated as it has deep water agitation but it could impact as its inside the tank of course.

I think your eheim Will be a little lacking in power to run a spraybar the full length of the tank, Two filters will work but if you plan to run co2 you need to distribute it through both spray bars which can be a pita, if running co2 maybe consider a Lilly pipe outflow with a power head pointing in the same direction to create a circular flow round the tank.

How can I get the co2 into both spray bars if I went for 2 filters? What about 2 filters, 2 spray bars and a power head at the rear next to the spray bar with the co2 coming from it to distribute it more?

Two filters, two spray bars & two diffusers like this.
BigTank2_zps6282955e.jpg

Just found that after I'd posted! Just getting used to tapatalk and didn't realise I could search on it! Will know for future lol.

Cheers. Rob

If you're using 2 spraybars they should be facing the same direction rather that at each other.

Ok decided I'm going to get another filter and use 2 400mm spray bars along the rear of the tank. Hopefully this should be enough.

i got 2x Eheim Pro 3 350 (2073) Filters, I got 2 spray bars along the back wall like the below image. I also got a Hydor Koralia 900 in the gap between the 2 spraybars. I am still not certain I got enough flow in my tank, but I got to balance it between nice flow for the plants and not too much flow my fish get stressed. My tank is 266 litres and 104cm in length.

ZBybko.jpg

i got 2x Eheim Pro 3 350 (2073) Filters, I got 2 spray bars along the back wall like the below image. I also got a Hydor Koralia 900 in the gap between the 2 spraybars. I am still not certain I got enough flow in my tank, but I got to balance it between nice flow for the plants and not too much flow my fish get stressed. My tank is 266 litres and 104cm in length.

ZBybko.jpg
That's what I'm planning minus the koralia. I assume those on the side are your intakes?

Rob

I assume those on the side are your intakes?

Rob

Yeah thats correct. I did have the spraybars at one point at either of the tank facing each off but they just battled with each other and the flow was bad. Since I put them on the back wall facing the front, the flow has improved and my plants have a good swaying motion now.

Yeah thats correct. I did have the spraybars at one point at either of the tank facing each off but they just battled with each other and the flow was bad. Since I put them on the back wall facing the front, the flow has improved and my plants have a good swaying motion now.
Ordered some acrylic tube so going to make a couple of spray bars.

Been offered an eheim 2073 filter for 50 quid. Do you reckon this along with the 2075 will be ok or should I hold out for another 2075?

Rob

Last edited:
personally i'd err on the equality of another 2075 Rob, having them the same output and loaded identically then the overall flow would be uniform in your tank, i've 2 matching JBL e1501's and 2 spraybars on the back, flow is even accross the whole length of the tank.

Slight curve ball - I have now gone for a larger tank 120cm x 45cm x 45cm.

Obviously, i'm not going to get rid of my current Eheim 2075, but before I purchase another one would 2 2075's be enough to run 2 spraybars (one each) along the rear of the tank? Don't want to be buying something that isn't up to the job. The flow will be, on paper, about 2500l/hour for a pair of 2075 so roughly 10 times.

Can you just set up the tank with the filter you have & play with it a bit?
depending on the hardscape you may still end up with dead spots.

Back