• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Filip, do you not have any issue with condensation in your house? That is also of open water. I had to get acrylic covers made for big tank in the living room, although the smaller 700l in my hallway doesn't have any.

Hey Sanj,

Before I moved into this house, I made EXTENSIVE renovations.
One of upgrades I installed was a whole house ventilation system with heat recovery (all DIY).
The Beast is open top, and gives us absolutely no condensation issues at all, as I designed the ventilation system to exchange the air in the house 3 x per hour.

I am never going back to living without such a system, the air quality is just that good.
I will be installing one wherever I move!

Fil

The tank is looking awesome ;)
Too kind Tim!
But imagine if someone with actual scaping skills had a go at it!!!

giphy.gif

Nice :) glad to see you found something that works and the algae is getting less. Its very infuriating to just not understand what is causing it at times.

Anyone else notice when your tank is out of balance, the fish arent as happy?
Ive noticed my bronze cories stop breeding when my plants arent happy!
Otherwise Ive cory eggs everywhere.

Confirmation bias?

Fil

I had an idea you were crazy now you’ve definitely confirmed it

Hope you didn’t put sun tan lotion on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im surprised you needed a confirmation! haha

We skipped the lotion. You know, for the fish's sake :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Decided I am fed up of crawling under the tank to unplug the 2 pumps in order to create a back syphon to drain the weekly 50%.
Then having to crawl back under just to plug them in once fresh water is in.

I remembered why I never connected them to my PLC in the first place, and that's because if the PLC has to be off for whatever reason, that would mean the pumps would die and cause a back syphon and a pain in my royal backside to restart the circulation.
I recalled that @ian_m connected his pumps via relay, so that the pumps went OFF ONLY when the PLC sent them the signal (rather than need the signal to go ON, which is normally how the PLC works)
So I reached out to him, and got a thorough set of advice on which relays will be suitable!

So ordered one, and after getting baffled at first, then a tad of trial and error I figured out how to wire the relay, and incorporated it into the PLC.

20210430_080541.jpg

Shout out to @ian_m!!! Without him, and his PLC knowledge I am sure I would have packed in running a high tech a while ago out of frustration at unreliable co2 and light control.

The Relay
20210501_161344.jpg

My PLC and Relay under a DIY acrylic box
20210501_161333.jpg

Last edited:
Bonus fact.
I build the PLC with so much extra capacity, its now controlling my 2 other plant setups.

The climber is regular pothos (believe it or not!) on Beast water!
20210326_080158.jpg

This will have soil, and a small lemon tree growing in it soon!
20210501_181404.jpg

I am sure I would have packed in running a high tech a while ago out of frustration at unreliable co2 and light control.
How do you control the CO2 using the PLC?

How do you control the CO2 using the PLC?
Hi Paulo,

I use it as a simple but reliable timer. I know that some of the others have it linked to their lights on/off time so that it always follows +/- a few hours.

Fil

I use it as a simple but reliable timer. I know that some of the others have it linked to their lights on/off time so that it always follows +/- a few hours.
Many thanks, thought you did something with probes ;)

Back