• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Can’t wait for them all to reach full size.

I've had mine for about 2.5 years and they're about the same size as yours but a bit thinner sadly as mine aren't in a planted tank(clowns/denison barbs destroyed the plants) and are the least food competitive fish in there. I am not sure if they'll grow much bigger...I suppose it depends on the species of SAE but I haven't seen much growth in mine lately..

Your 17 must be a sight to see. I hope you post a video of them if you manage to get them on camera when doing some rounds. Finally someone that keeps those fish the right way....People tend to buy singles and couples of them only and I regret I only bought 5 and not 10 at the time.

A little teaser...

As soon as I clean the acrylic walls and polish the water, I will put a vid together.

These guys are like a bunch of goats :D

20190523_184452.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

Im in the process of making new batches of macro & micro ferts, so as I am cleaning the 20L drums, I thought I will share some thoughts about the experience.

The first batch was mixed around august 2018. In my typical style I went head first and made two massive batches of 2 x 20L. After which I realised that the micros will likely go mouldy, so I added ascorbic acid.

Made no difference, as the batch got mouldy anyway with 70% still left in the drum. Most hobbyists would freak out and waste time / energy / money on fixing the "issue", but not me.
I ignored it, as I focused on things that would harm the tank FOR SURE. Instead of focusing on stuff that could harm the tank ARGUABLY.

Well, I am happy I did nothing. The tank went through 6 months of "mouldy" micros being dosed in regularily, and still looks great. I honestly wouldnt have a clue what to do if any of my plants showed deficiencies, since none ever do! (Did I mention my substrate is inert too?)

I have a feeling one of the reasons for my success is being able to prioritise properly, and not sweat the small stuff. Which often meant going agaist best practice, as with a tank this size, compromises had to be made!
That and perhaps proper discipline, as I have never missed a water change (in addition to dripping in 400L every day), and reacted to problems promptly.

Back to fert dosing. I mix 20L of each every 40 weeks or so. Costs me about £80 every time. Estimative Index FTW!!!

Thanks for reading, and I hope my ramblings are of use.
Fil

I bet that once you keep a tank that size and see how well both plants and fish do, it would be really hard to enjoy keeping smaller tank as you'll know it can never provide the same conditions, similar to what you said about the SAEs in the 200 litre.

And you would have won that bet!
For me, the only way is LARGER.

Fil

The denison barbs and SAEs actually school together. At least mine have from day1. I got them around the same time at juvenile age and they stuck together. Although in your planted tank it maybe a different story. They do grow bigger than SAEs and much larger than all your other fish but mine ignore the harlequin rasboras so I doubt it they're very predatory. See my bunch below.

The denison barbs and SAEs actually school together. At least mine have from day1. I got them around the same time at juvenile age and they stuck together. Although in your planted tank it maybe a different story. They do grow bigger than SAEs and much larger than all your other fish but mine ignore the harlequin rasboras so I doubt it they're very predatory. See my bunch below.

Looks great.
Busy tank! I bet its fun at feed time!

Im sold on the denisons, see if I can get some.

Thanks
Fil

Busy tank! I bet its fun at feed time!

They're all very active fish. The clowns, denison barbs and SAEs bunch up together so the tank looks busier than it is. The back half of the tank is occupied only by about 34 harlequin rasboras...They've scared all the rest of the fish into the front half :lol:

Back