• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape 2,000 L Beast

Filip Krupa

Don't hold back, I realise plenty can be improved upon!

Thanks
Fil

20181126_135545.jpg
20181126_135607.jpg
20181126_135627.jpg

( i don't like the stones:oops: i find them to "un -natural" especially with the black substrate. i would have aimed for more "logical" combination, either dark stones and dark substrate or light substrate with light stones, or go with wood)

( i don't like the stones:oops: i find them to "un -natural" especially with the black substrate. i would have aimed for more "logical" combination, either dark stones and dark substrate or light substrate with light stones, or go with wood)
+1 it was amazing b4, now its less than amazing

i don't like the stones:oops: i find them to "un -natural" especially with the black substrate

I see what you mean, a bit screwed now though. Its way too much weight to shift now :(

Perhaps I can break up the contract by planting around the rock/sand line?

Thanks
Fil

I see what you mean, a bit screwed now though. Its way too much weight to shift now :(

Perhaps I can break up the contract by planting around the rock/sand line?

Or you could consider banking up some extra soil up and around the rocks so they partly disappear and protrude from the soil?
Then you can soften/hide them even more by adding more plants in that soil/stone mountain...
Okay, the color looks a bit stark but now they jump out even more since they are on top of the soil rather then in the soil imo (if you catch my drift?)...

Personally i would not point the flow directly on the Vallisneria so they reach for the surface before starting to float...

But for the record: That is one hell of a planted mega-tank!! Nice growth!!

I must admit I don't like the stones either. I was thinking what I'd do and I don't think you could take the stones out either, so like Darrel mentions, either leave them to naturalise or naturalise them somehow.
Some wood with plants attached using the stones as a base might work, as would attaching some more of the same stone with some plants.

Don't be too preterbed, no one is mentioning the rest of the tank because the rest looks great.

If you don't clean the stones (or have Nerite snails etc.) some biofilm should grew and make them look a little less stark. From <"Mass algae invasion....">.

My rocks looked like that a couple of months ago!!! Gone white since... i guess algea is getting battered by the snails, shrimps and otos.

Personally i would not point the flow directly on the Vallisneria so they reach for the surface before starting to float...

I think the vallis will go at some point. It grows and spreads way too fast. I need a machete to handle it. Last time i tried, nearly fell in...

received_980632122119950.jpeg

What would you suggest as an alternative for background that doesnt mind plenty of flow?
Was thinking of crinum.

But for the record: That is one hell of a planted mega-tank!! Nice growth!!

Many thanks! Project started in April, only now starting to look the part.

Some wood with plants attached using the stones as a base might work, as would attaching some more of the same stone with some plants

Im paranoid about wood yellowing my water. When youre looking through 5.5ft of water, any slight turbidity looks terrible.

Don't be too preterbed, no one is mentioning the rest of the tank because the rest looks great.

Thanks! Although the tank still looks half empty to me. I need to move or get rid of the aponogeton crispus, and fill in the space on the left of the spray bar for starters.
I was also thinking of sticking some buce between the rocks to blend them in.
And will defo try to plant some plants at the rock/sand line. Might be a job for the pogostemon, surprisingly it doesnt seem to mind the 30in deep tank. 50w LED floodlights FTW!

Thanks
Fil

Im a bit puzzled. The sand and rocks have been there since the start. What do you mean b4?

Thanks
Fil
RIP from that angle thought they were new
damn those are super clean stones

good job
My mistake LOL

p.s. that picture of u diving in the tank is Golden

Last edited:
Not a fan of the stones either, sorry. Maybe try and get a load of epithytes in and around them to soften them up and blend them in abit. Maybe even try wedge In Something that would creep and spread hydrocotyle tripartita?

Cheers

Hello Fil, I Like the stones because they are different and makes the red color pop. When the plants grow in more of will take on a new look. Wait it out.. I would love to see if then. I like contrast of the black substrate right now, but I do not think it will show once all the plants grow in. Love your choice of p!ants.. Great job.
Have you decided on what kind of livestock yet?

Filip Krupa

The white stones look completely out of place. A natural looking dark brown or black stones would certainly look far better. If you can cover them with a moss or an algae to hide them would work. Old DW might just work as well

Your planting looks OK with the Reds mixed in. As for plant maintenance it is certainly lacking all the low grasses require attention.

Keith:wave::wave:

This 90cm x 90cm x 45cm tank at the Green Aqua Gallery might be useful
Video (just over 2 months after setup)

Green Aqua flickr - more current photos
Night View https://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlantos/45604912752/
Day View https://www.flickr.com/photos/viktorlantos/43837417880/in/photostream/

Detail within the tank provides perspective tricking the eye into assuming an inside much larger than the outer dimensions

I can’t really comment on your tank as the photos don’t seem to show the tank in it’s entirety - obviously the Green Aqua team is well versed in photography/videography :)

Hello Fil, I Like the stones because they are different and makes the red color pop. When the plants grow in more of will take on a new look. Wait it out.. I would love to see if then. I like contrast of the black substrate right now, but I do not think it will show once all the plants grow in. Love your choice of p!ants.. Great job.
Have you decided on what kind of livestock yet?

Hi Pamela

Thanks and no, not decided on lifestock yet.

Filip can you stand in the tank? I know i can in mine ( 15 mm glas on 15 mm plywood on a steel stand) and i have to if i need to change anything in the back. If so i would bite the bullet and remove them , you might always be bothered by them.

Filip can you stand in the tank? I know i can in mine ( 15 mm glas on 15 mm plywood on a steel stand) and i have to if i need to change anything in the back. If so i would bite the bullet and remove them , you might always be bothered by them.

I can yes.
I've stood on the walls too!

Youre right, I could take them out. They dont bother me too much for now.
I will try other things first.

Thanks
Fil

Back