• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2°c made a huge difference in plants growth, is that possible ?

eminor

Hello, my tank temp was 23.5 -24°c for a long time, some plant had hard time, melted, i tought it was co2 issues, i increased the temp to 26°c, it makes a huge difference, cabomba furcata, tuberculatum are growing nicely, amazing colors, stem plant grow really fast. Can it really be the temp or just the co2 finally fixed ? thx

2°c seems really nothing for us

2c higher or lower body temperature would make quite a difference to us too ;) dont know if that is what solved your problem but I'm sure it has some effect on the plants :)

Post photos in your journal so that we can see the difference? I've attached extracts from 2hr aquarist, its not on their website yet for some reason. They also mention Furcata!

p.s. how are you measuring the water temperature? some thermometers /thermostats are quite inaccurate.

Temperature plays a powerful, silent role in planted aquariums.

While most tropical plants can survive even in waters above 30C / 86F, most tend to have better form and coloration at lower temperatures.

Warmer tanks are also significantly more susceptible to algae, especially Green Dust Algae.

The sweet spot for most tanks is between 22 and 26 C / 72 to 79F.
We keep most of our tanks at 24 C / 75F.
Above: sensitive plant species such as Hygrophila sp. Chai (above) and Eriocaulons stunt / melt more easily in warmer waters (above 26C / 79F).

They require stable tank conditions to grow well, and where temperature is concerned, cooler tanks (with overall slower plants / microbial / algal metabolism) tend to be more stable.
Above 26C /79F, it is also slightly less easy to saturate water with CO2 as gas solubility decreases as water temperature rises.
Above: In many stem species such as Cabomba furcata, the right temperature helps to develop shorter internodes and more compact growth form. In warmer waters, they develop more elongated inter-nodes with more loose form.

The sweet spot for most tanks lie between ( 22 to 26 C / 72 to 79 F). This contributes to tank stability, and brings out the best form and coloration in most ornamental aquatic species.

Last edited:
I guess it can depend on specific plants, light and temperature can have a significant impact with little threshold... I remember the tropical Nymphaea gardneriana that needs at least 28°C to thrive anything lower it will have a hard time staying alive. I've tried this plant several times at 25°C and it never worked out. From the subtropical Juncus repens for example is said it stops growing and starts melting below 15°C. I gave this plant a try in the garden and it indeed is true, and below 20°C it lives but that's about it and it barely grows rather slowly withers away. Then there are other endemic tropicals sp. that survive mild winters and keep growing far below 10°C outdoor.

Maybe there is another factor as 72f to 76f is as said about the recommended ideal for most aquatic plants. A couple of years ago l put some Java Fern in a plastic tray in the greenhouse . It was summer so it got well into the 85f and upwards at times . They grew enormous well faster than in the tank. Suppose the high humidity played a part

anyway I hope to see Eminors latest plant photos and how the Furcata and Tuberculatum have grown. I am inspired to try those plants but my LFS doesn't have them at the moment....

23.5 -24°c for a long time, some plant had hard time, melted, i tought it was co2 issues, i increased the temp to 26°c, it makes a huge difference, cabomba furcata, tuberculatum are growing nicely, amazing colors, stem plant grow really fast
This is old but wanted to comment on this.
I very much doubt that a 2°C difference, specially at 23/24 is responsible for tuberculatum melting. I have never grown cabomba furcata though but I doubt it is also the case. Myriophyllum tuberculatum can withstand temperatures slightly below 20°C while Cabomba furcata although it prefers warmer temperatures it can still grow in the lower 20s. Could it be that something else was responsible for your plants not doing well? 24°C is actually a pretty sweet spot and many people keep their tanks between 24/26°C. I wish I could.

Back