• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

16l Iwagumi-Dry Start

Joe Turner

Tank: 16l Clearseal
Lighting: TMC Mini LED 400
Filter: Fluval Edge HOB
Heater: None
CO2: JBL ProFlora u500

Hardscape: Dragon Stone
Plants: Micranthemum micranthemoides, Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' and Fissidens fontanus.

I put this tank together last year with items I had boxed away. Thanks to @jarcher1390 for both the tank, and filter! I'm still to source a permanent CO2 system for it however (SodaStream), whilst justnow I will use a JBL ProFlora u500 canister and diffuse in-tank via an atomiser.

I had some Micranthemum stems growing in a windowsill, alongside a jar of Fissidens. I bought a tub of In-vitro HC, and planned to carpet the tank with that.

I didn't have any way of heating the tank, and living in an old farmhouse in Scotland-I knew that growth would be slow. I've since moved the tank next to a radiator which keeps the glass warm at least. With spraying every 2/3 days, it has taken a few slow, winter months to get to this stage. Flooding should be soon though, so I thought I'd kick off a journal!

DSC_1189-3_zpsqfpdawt1.jpg

DSC_1188-2_zpswxg0ew3g.jpg

DSC_1186-1_zpsard6rycb.jpg

I will flood the tank with soft rainwater, mixed 50/50 with slightly harder natural spring water (straight out the tap!)

CO2 will be on permanently for the settling in process, with lights at 100% (no controller for the MiniLED). I'll start EI ferts around 2 weeks in, providing the plants don't show demands sooner!

Fingers crossed for a smooth transition, I've been watching this tank evolve for weeks and weeks now and can't wait to flood it! Root structure on all the plants is substantial, and the moss has been growing with vibrant green curls.

Any tips before I go ahead with it?
Does anyone foresee a problem having no heater?

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• DSC_1189-3_zpsqfpdawt1.jpg
    DSC_1189-3_zpsqfpdawt1.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 160
Go for EI from the beginning. The last thing you want to do is starve the plants at such a pivotal point, and with so much light.

Flooding went well! I'm enjoying this top down view :)
Thanks again to @jarcher1390 for hooking me up with a Co2 system!

New plants added, thanks to @hogan53:

Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hygrophila araguaia
Rotala macrandra (mini variant?)

DSC_0019_zpsxj3bokjc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0019_zpsxj3bokjc.jpg
DSC_0019_zpsxj3bokjc.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0019_zpsxj3bokjc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Photobucket url's not working for some reason :(