• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

16/22mm lily pipes for shallow tank?

Nick potts

New tank gets here tomorrow and I am in need of some new lily pips for it.

The tank is only 22cm high, once I add substrate I don't have much height to work with, add to that the fact that all my filters take 16/22mm hose I am finding it hard sourcing a good set of pipes (especially the intake)

I could add a reducer and change the pipe diameter but I really don't want to reduce flow so it's really a last resort.

Anyone point me in the right direction

TIA

Thanks, @Wookii, yeah I did find that thread, those are all 12/16mm pipes and don't seem to be available in a 16/22mm

I found what could be a very good solution, the Aquario Premium Neo Flow, however like a lot of stuff I can't find it in the UK.

Thanks, @Wookii, yeah I did find that thread, those are all 12/16mm pipes and don't seem to be available in a 16/22mm

I found what could be a very good solution, the Aquario Premium Neo Flow, however like a lot of stuff I can't find it in the UK.

Afaik, the transparent acrylic pipes from Aquario, a Korean company, are not yet available in the European market. But transparent acrylic (and PETG) pipes have been used for a long time in DIY computer water-cooling. You can find videos and tutorials showing how to cut and bend such pipes to measure (search for acrylic or PETG water cooling). You can easily buy straight transparent pipes online in 16/22 or at least with a 22mm outer diameter. You may also find a store that will cut and bend the pipe for you.

198085954_1128834047625601_4698374636681844550_n.jpg

cool, my local fish shop just brought in stocks of Neo stuff including the Premium Neo Flow - so they attach the skimmer to the outflow rather than inflow? (photo from my LFS FB page)
wonder what sort of flow rate such a skimmer would require? I feel the urge to get a Fluval 407 for my 60cm tank!

Afaik, the transparent acrylic pipes from Aquario, a Korean company, are not yet available in the European market. But transparent acrylic (and PETG) pipes have been used for a long time in DIY computer water-cooling. You can find videos and tutorials showing how to cut and bend such pipes to measure (search for acrylic or PETG water cooling). You can easily buy straight transparent pipes online in 16/22 or at least with a 22mm outer diameter. You may also find a store that will cut and bend the pipe for you.

Thanks

I can get the aquario from greenaqua, but I refuse to pay £40 postage :)

I have looked at making my own, I can get the acrylic easily enough, what I can't find is a 16mm silicone insert for bending it.

Thanks

I can get the aquario from greenaqua, but I refuse to pay £40 postage :)
Thanks for the info! That means that they might be available in the rest of Europe soon.

I have looked at making my own, I can get the acrylic easily enough, what I can't find is a 16mm silicone insert for bending it.
Use a <mandrel> instead. Easier and less error prone than inserts.

cool, my local fish shop just brought in stocks of Neo stuff including the Premium Neo Flow - so they attach the skimmer to the outflow rather than inflow? (photo from my LFS FB page)
wonder what sort of flow rate such a skimmer would require? I feel the urge to get a Fluval 407 for my 60cm tank!
That “skimmer” works based on the Venturi effect. So, the surface water is sucked into it and then expelled through the outflow. This construction provides no filtering but would probably be enough to break up the surface film.

Back