• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

15L edge of the pond.

Tucker90

So my 50L cube has come to a halt due to an imminent house move!

I’ve been ordering plants over the last few weeks (for the cubs) from forum members and forum Members alone! So big thanks too all that have sold them to me!

But alas I have run out of space in my “holding tank” aka clear bucket.

so bought a clear seal tank for a nano set up!

15L tank 30x25x20

LED 7W light

HOB filter 250lph (reduced with media)

Hard scape is fired heather with landscape stone.

Substrate is river sand with tropica soil underneath for good measure!

Flora so far:
Needle leaf jave fern
Microsorum pteropus trident
buchephalandra

Hoping to add some fissens to the stone and maybe some hair grass in random clumps

Fauna:

Would love some danio margaritatus but I think the tank is too small for that, with displacement it’s only 13L so think I’ll stick CRS and a nerite!

A quick mock up shot before i put it together and completely ignored it

300829dcf891fbf086c58afebb28086d.jpg

And the “not finished” tank. Ended up rushing to get it flooded as plants arrived from Konrad much quicker than expected! Thanks for the the HUGE clump of plants pal! This is Day 2 after a 50% water change!

(Terrible quality sorry will get better pictures once it’s finished!)

37e90eae80ecfb0e9851485359b04da2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Quick edit, the nerite isn’t dead! He fell off the side of the tank after a water change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bit of a better picture before the rescape tomorrow!

Ignore the white stones! Had a sample of gravel which looked fairly dark but once washed off and under the light were in fact white... and look awful.

Gonna pick the darker stones out and leave them in!

I think I’ll make it into more of a triangle as well, on the right hand side!

5385b4d48d6aa2aeea0a7133b35f61ea.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated!

Rescape done!

Happy with it now, removed the white stones and replaced with so smashed up landscape stone I had left, same as what’s in the tank but slightly darker due to the “new edge” hopefully it’ll lighten up with time!

e10425a607b6b0bd5b2aac228a6d8652.jpg

Lights are on for 6 hours, 14:00-20:00, starting to see some algae on the ferns!

8f4afae1745579df1ed85100ac6aa7ef.jpg

Any advice on getting rid? Would spot dosing co2 work? Amano shrimp?! Another nerite?!

Thanks

Thom

Spot dosing liquid co2 definately is effective on BBA. I have heard good things about doing a blackout too... I would be nervous of over dosing liquid carbon in such a small tank.

Look great by the way.

Spot dosing liquid co2 definately is effective on BBA. I have heard good things about doing a blackout too... I would be nervous of over dosing liquid carbon in such a small tank.

Look great by the way.

Thanks Matt!

I’ve have spot dosed with a pipet over the last week, each time followed by a 50% water change, it’s seems to be working...

There is no live stock in the tank as of yet, other than a snail! I’m in the market for a 60p or aquascaper 600 in the next few weeks. Not happy enough with such a small tank!

Three weeks in, and I’m pretty happy with this little tank!

It’s now fully cycled (using old filter media) and ready for livestock. I think 6 RCS are on the cards this weekend! Hopefully they will help clean the debris that’s floating about! I think it’s from the fired heather, love the look of it but god does it make a mess once it starts to rot!

Added some Pistia Stratiotes and salvinia kindly dontated by DW1305!

Also added a small Anubias nana petite and hydrocotyle mini from Konrad (thanks again pal!)

Happy with how it’s looking, all the plants here were sold or given away by forum members over the last month! So thank you all for your time and plants!

Still a small amount of BBA on the needle leaf fern, but I am winning the battle with that one!

beb900be144ed9c3e0c363e8307cd548.jpg

cf87e1eec6d14faaf24dcff8fa6c9a96.jpg

df59c035aaf0343d1cb6b4e4bcacbf83.jpg

I’d like to give back to the forum so anyone who wants some hydrocotyle or salvinia please DM me, make a donation to the forum and I’ll send you some!

513b3faac9ca5d88baed1849f83f1167.jpg

f1f4849da5cc18054112e9bba43b2d15.jpg

They may contain creepy crawlys and various moss spores so be aware!

Thanks
Thom

Last edited:
Wow so this is just a holding tank? Dude I would love to see your display one day.....

Wow so this is just a holding tank? Dude I would love to see your display one day.....

Thanks man!

My display one is out of action due to a imminent house move!

Looking forward to getting it going in the next few months!

Bit of an update and some questions!

Limpets and planarian slowly dying thanks to the guys who helped with ID’s and what to buy!

Popped a couple more trident ferns in last week, shrimps are breeding although I think the planarian killed a couple!

I’ve been lean dosing tropica and doing 2 x 50% water changes a week, have some BBA on the Buce’s, thinking a quick chem bath to kill it off then pop it back in!

My house move has been pushed back another 4 months at least, if not longer, so I’m going to set up the 50l shallow I have.

I’m going to keep it low tech for now, and was thinking about using the 250lph HOB filter just to keep it ticking over!

My question is about cycling the tank,

If I use 15L of water, the substrate plants and hardscape, and use the filter will it be enough to cycle the new tank?

Here’s so really bad pictures (cracked my lenses so there’s is glare) of the tank!

1ef9bdee4129e1f441d56d304bd5a38f.jpg

686fc549324fba1bde56f673ecfe3f7d.jpg

a815142995fcea86a67c5587a3dd649d.jpg

Thanks

Back