• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

150cm/5ft Light fittings advice needed.

Hi there. I have a 5 ft tank that's 2 ft deep and 1.5ft wide. It's currently running two 1449mm 80W t5 bulbs One Bright white, one marketed as a red bulb that's quite purple (off a 54W Glo HO Ballast). Obviously this current set up isn't ideal. It's been working fine for years but it's started to have intermittent flickering issues and occasionally it goes out. And for the sake of energy bills I'd like to make the switch to LEDs. The tank is sparsely scaped, as you'll see in the pictures in my tank log but I am looking at a carpet growing in and to get some strong growth out of Cyperus Helferi so it can't be too dim.

The major issue I'm having is that most LED lights seem to come as a 48" version and with my drip covers there isn't really anywhere in the middle of the tank to stand two 75cm lights. The ones that extend to 145cm would mean that the actual light was over barely 2/3 of the tank. Does anyone out there make a half decent LED that long?

Hi, I have exactly the same issue as you with 1500mm length.
I run an Aqua One J bar led light 120 which is designed for a Juwel 300 litre tank. This is a good light and the plants are doing okay.
However, as you say, I cannot find a 1500 led for love or money. This seems so strange as there are plenty of 1500mm and longer tanks on the market

I was wondering if any of you lovely people had any suggestions?
Thanks Nigel

I went through the same search process 6 months ago. There are not many options if you don't want to hang two smaller units.
I have a Maxspect R5F-300 on my 150cm Red Sea reefer. Light intensity drops a bit in the upper corners, as I use the stand on the edges of the tank. I will try to hang it a bit higher from the ceiling later after moving tank to new location. That may get better light in the corners, but some of my fish are happy with these darker spots. When run at 100% intensity, the ventilators make some noise (like a too hot laptop). Around 70-80% intensity, which is the max I use, it is barely noticeable as it turns only on at low speed for short periods of time. The WIFI controller is not included with the lamp and I wasn't able to get working on my home WIFI network. However, as I am not playing with the settings and programs every day, establishing a temporary direct wifi-connection between ipad, controller and lamp works well for me.
I hope this is helpful.
Success.

Back