• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

15 litre dry start

castle

Wanted to create a nice simple tank on my bedroom windowsil that gets sun most of the morning, and I think i'll add a nano light after pay day. Aiming for emergent growth, and a wild selection of plants at the front of the tank. Probably won't work like that though, I don't plan on adding any livestock.

Day one:
Basics with rotala rotundifolia planted.

DSC_0082.JPG

Day two:
w\ added Micranthemum monte carlo, and Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
DSC_0089.JPG

Dimensions: 35 x 20 x 20
Tank: Old, Clearseal.
Light: Sunlight, for now.
Filter: None

If this turns into a journal, I'll speak to a mod about moving it. Really I just wanted to share my first attempt at a dry started tank.

Suits a journal setting better, mods move me please.

Great fun although this might not be the best time of year to start a natural light experiment.
My window sill tanks are just staring to slow down, I don't see hardly any growth over the October to March period.
I have found the best results come from just making a small hole in the cling film & just leaving it alone, no spraying or removing the film required.

@foxfish Do you heat those tanks?

I'm thinking I will add a nano LED for the winter, one of those 11w dennerle ones or similar. Interesting you say about not spraying, I think I've sprayed enough, it's really high in humidity, so I'm going to leave it alone now, probably flood in late October.

Yes I heat them with a heat mat, I find the difference in growth and lushness considerable!
I only lift the lid, plastic sheet in my case, when I trim but I tend to leave them grow to jungle status before I uproot and start again!
The key is to get the inside warmer than the outside, this will cause condensation.
If you get it just right, the condensation will drip from the underside of the lid so you don't need to spray at all.

P1110098.jpg

It's growing in a bit now, rotala rotundifolia has a good inch of growth, and larger leaves. Definitely emergent leaves, but w/e. Micranthemum monte carlo looks like it's putting out runners. And I've just set my raspberry pi to take an image every 10 minutes during daylight hours (I love timelapse growth videos).

Still planning to flood sometime around Halloween.

And @foxfish you're right, drips are forming on the cover, and I haven't sprayed it in a week. Ordering an LED strip today :)

Back