• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

140L first aquascape attempt

Ryanjm

Hello, new member here, been a youtube aquascaping addict for a while, usual suspects like George farmer, MD fish tanks, green aqua, aquarium gardens etc.

Thoroughly enjoy their content and it inspired me enough to have a go!

This is my first serious attempt at an Aquascape.
140L optiwhite tank
Fluval 207 filter
Twinstar B line
Pressurised CO2

Plants
Java fern - Microsorum Pteropus
Dwarf hair grass - Eleocharis acicularis
blyxa Japonica
Anubias bonsai and petite
Staurogyne Repens
Bolbitis heudelotii
Cryptocoryne Parva
Riccia Fluitans
Spiky moss
Cryptocoryne Usteriana
Juncus Repens
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan
Micranthemun Monte Carlo
Bucephelandra kedagang
Bucephelandra green velvet
Red tiger lily
Ludwigia diamond red
Limnophila sessiflora
Sagittarius sabulata

I used jbl lava rock, tropica aquasoil and soil powder for my substrate then some Hugo kamishi sand for the cosmetic side.

I went for seiryhu stone or atleast thats what it looks like for the most part! Triangle type composition with redmoor wood/spiderwood for the basis of the focal point. Learnt a lot from putting it together and have learnt more over the last few weeks as it’s maturing. Did 75% water changes every day for the first week, then 50% every over day for the second week and now I’m currently doing 50% every 4 days. It’s going well, limiting light to 6 hours a day and dosing 4ml of tnc complete. Not quite sure on the CO2 amount but my drop checker is going to a nice green colour and there is a definite slight PH change approx 3 bubbles per second I would say. Had the filter established already so added livestock (had most of it already) after around 10 days of the tank running.

7 glow light danios
3 albino corys
3 gold lasers
4 sterbai
Approx 150 cherry shrimp
5 amano
Just added 9 purple harlequin rasbora

I appreciate some may say that is heavy on the stocking but I’m being meticulous with water testing etc if I find that it’s just too much I’ll remove some but so far it looks like it’s going to be absolutely fine.

Had a small amount of Staghorn algae appear so I dropped back the ferts slightly and spot dosed some liquid carbon and it seemed to sort it very quickly!

Had some aquasoil migrate where I didn’t plug up the holes between a rock properly which I will sort in a couple days!

Here’s some pictures! Fully open to constructive criticism and advice, thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 3D9DCACB-CC5F-4395-B33A-CBFA65926BFB.jpeg
    3D9DCACB-CC5F-4395-B33A-CBFA65926BFB.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,338
  • 03717FA1-B865-4F2B-AAF9-791881E832F4.jpeg
    03717FA1-B865-4F2B-AAF9-791881E832F4.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 293
  • F71B62BF-01B2-421C-9BA7-B3DB35412627.jpeg
    F71B62BF-01B2-421C-9BA7-B3DB35412627.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 261
Looks very cool! One thing that may be worth considering is getting some smaller transition stones to ease the transitions between the rocks and foreground making it look a bit more natural, something similar colours/texture to the rocks. But def good job there!

It isn’t necessarily about water quality mate, it’s about giving the animals we care for the space they need.
That’s a great point thank you, I have considered this and they all have seem to have established their own little “territories” within reason, without interfering with each other too much. The danios are quite shy even though I’ve had them around 18 months, which means they tend to stay amongst the roots/structure of the wood whereas the harlequins stay more in the upper section of the tank so it seems to work quite well. This is definitely something I’m keeping an eye on though, thanks for commenting!

Looks very cool! One thing that may be worth considering is getting some smaller transition stones to ease the transitions between the rocks and foreground making it look a bit more natural, something similar colours/texture to the rocks. But def good job there!
Thank you, that’s a great idea. Once I’ve sorted the aquasoil that’s spilled onto the sand I think I’ll do that, thanks for commenting!

Back