• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

12gal soft water

Definitely not pencil fish for that tank in my view, they want to dart in long lines. Wait until you have a longer tank. Sparklers are lovely, but can be feisty, and they like to lurk. They are quite easy to breed. When they do there's some chasing and hiding. I find the habrosus very docile. When young they explored more. They look sweet lying on leaves like they were sofas. They can be shy depending what species are around them. If you ask I think many people may say they wish they'd got a bigger shoal of their main fish, so maybe more axelrodi? Then save the pleasure of adding one more species later, once things settle. The sparklers may like a period being boss. And the habrosus might adjust better to a tank with fewer species. I did wonder if clown killifish might work?

Definitely not pencil fish
Really? Not even the espeis? They seem like quite small fish at around an inch or less.

Clown killis are cool, but a bit bland and not really a wow factor fish. Not pretty enough to justify getting a lid I’m thinking

I’m really liking habrosus so yeah I’ll definitely get them, and the axelrodi. Maybe I’ll just start off with those two and see how it goes. And add a centre piece fish if it seems alright.

Really? Not even the espeis? They seem like quite small fish at around an inch or less.

Clown killis are cool, but a bit bland and not really a wow factor fish. Not pretty enough to justify getting a lid I’m thinking

I’m really liking habrosus so yeah I’ll definitely get them, and the axelrodi. Maybe I’ll just start off with those two and see how it goes. And add a centre piece fish if it seems alright.
Well, I haven't kept espeis, so see what others say. I think behaviour doesn't always relate to size.

Get away with you, they are little stunners.

Completely agree :)

1661511052642.png

The ones at my Lfs are always a little drab looking, maybe they colour up better in planted aquariums?

Many fish often are - they can change significantly once introduce to nicely planted tank with cover and places to hide, combined with a good quality diet include live foods.

These stay around the top correct? I must admit they look really nice.

I believe they do - I've not kept them myself. You'd just need to check on suitability as they may be jumpers, which lots of surface plants will help with.

The ones at my Lfs are always a little drab looking, maybe they colour up better in planted aquariums? These stay around the top correct? I must admit they look really nice.

I think LFS’s often show fish at their least colourful. For example, I’ve rarely seen cherry barbs look anything other than a bit wishy washy in an LFS, even with good quality stores, and so they are often under-rated, but the ones I used to keep in my old tank were a beautiful bright red and even the ‘drab’ females had lovely rich orange tones.

Only took a couple of weeks or so for them to start colouring up. 😊

Yeah some fish suffer greatly from "look bad at the store" syndrome. While they are amazing fish at home, no one gives them a shot to show it.
Not talking about fish in poor health here though

Alright, I’m pretty much decided on stocking now thanks to you guys🥰

Tangerine tigers
Corydoras habrosus
Sundadanio axelrodii
Least Killi fish (maybe if the tank doesn’t seem to crowded aesthetically)

Anyone have comments on where to buy/source the fish? I live in west-ish London. An hour or two drive is alright but not much more please! Anyone have really reliable online retailers? (May consider)

Alright, I’m pretty much decided on stocking now thanks to you guys🥰

Tangerine tigers
Corydoras habrosus
Sundadanio axelrodii
Least Killi fish (maybe if the tank doesn’t seem to crowded aesthetically)

Anyone have comments on where to buy/source the fish? I live in west-ish London. An hour or two drive is alright but not much more please! Anyone have really reliable online retailers? (May consider)

With my experience of London traffic, that should get you about…..6 miles!!😂

But seriously……Sweet Knowle Aquatics are very good. Probably too far for you to drive but next day delivery for £25 if spending over £30 or £35 otherwise.
……….and not where I got my unfortunate CPD’s. 😏

Stock varies and they are pretty good at updating the website, but worth calling if they aren’t advertising what you want.

With my experience of London traffic, that should get you about…..6 miles!!😂
Oh god, it’s horrid. Not so bad going out of London tho.
I’ll look them up, probably give them a ring or email before I go to make sure they have what I want😊

If you do decide to visit, don’t be fooled by the manky looking industrial barn, concrete floors, complete lack of any advertising boards and the fact that it looks like it’s not even open. (I was convinced I was in the wrong place on my first visit) They don’t waste any money on aesthetics!! The tanks however, are spotless!

Also, they weirdly don’t open on Saturdays but are open Sunday. 😊

the gloomy loveliness continues!!!
4EC05237-E97C-479C-A742-2562102AA2DE.jpeg

lots of biofilm and algae stuff for shrimpy friends to munch on, so I’ll get some soon, tank should be plenty mature.

Notes;
Rotala macrandra growing well
Ammannia pedicellata growing well
Started fertilisers with miracle gro, just add a bit from dry dosing.
Wild moss growing in.
Wallichii struggling
Nymphaea micrantha is reaching the surface, can’t wait for it to cover the surface with gorgeous leaves. Maybe even a flower? Anyway, that’s all for now.

the gloomy loveliness continues!!!
View attachment 194964
lots of biofilm and algae stuff for shrimpy friends to munch on, so I’ll get some soon, tank should be plenty mature.

Notes;
Rotala macrandra growing well
Ammannia pedicellata growing well
Started fertilisers with miracle gro, just add a bit from dry dosing.
Wild moss growing in.
Wallichii struggling
Nymphaea micrantha is reaching the surface, can’t wait for it to cover the surface with gorgeous leaves. Maybe even a flower? Anyway, that’s all for now.

That’s looking great - I love the shadows and gloomy look you’ve created, it’s awesome sauce! That Tri-colour Lotus at the back looks great too!

Thanks for the kind comments, 🥰

Back