• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125L - The Re-Scape

Day 2 update. Not much going on, still dealing with random deaths (another thread) but other than that the scape is going great. I haven't done a water change, planning on doing a big one today, was all scaped out after I did this Scape and then trimmed my dad's tank the day after!
LRM_EXPORT_74647229990062_20190915_160324163.jpeg

I like it, simple and effective with a lot of plants, Hope your fishes will get better, did you know that New tropica soil Can Leach ammonia?
Thank you! I actually ended up not planting some of the crypts I bought, and also had to make the carpet smaller than I wanted, because I bought too many plants ... I was so worried of not having enough and ended up with the opposite!
I hadn't heard this actually, my fish have been affected by a lot of things recently as stated in my other thread (neon tetra disease and with it some secondary diseases) so I just assumed it was this continuing. I do 3x 30% water changes weekly anyway, do you think it's worth upping this to combat the soil ammonia leech?

Thank you! I actually ended up not planting some of the crypts I bought, and also had to make the carpet smaller than I wanted, because I bought too many plants ... I was so worried of not having enough and ended up with the opposite!
I hadn't heard this actually, my fish have been affected by a lot of things recently as stated in my other thread (neon tetra disease and with it some secondary diseases) so I just assumed it was this continuing. I do 3x 30% water changes weekly anyway, do you think it's worth upping this to combat the soil ammonia leech?

Yes it's Worth upping it if the deaths continue...my advice would be to never put any fish in a tank that has new soil in it (I mean nutrient rich soil like tropica, Amazonia etc) even when using an old cycled filter.

Because those kind of soil release a lot of nutrients, nitrates, phosphates and ammonia when new. ;)

Yes it's Worth upping it if the deaths continue...my advice would be to never put any fish in a tank that has new soil in it (I mean nutrient rich soil like tropica, Amazonia etc) even when using an old cycled filter.

Because those kind of soil release a lot of nutrients, nitrates, phosphates and ammonia when new. ;)
Good to know. Obviously this was a re Scape so I had to put the fish back in
But either way nothing has continued so far, fingers crossed and will up water changes if I see another.

Tried to get a FTS yesterday evening on day 4. I think I need to somehow get the camera to export the RAW file as it exported it (using a built in wifi-app function) as a JPEG so up close the quality is much worse than when it was on my camera. Still looks okay I think:
LRM_EXPORT_62318342983304_20190917_161932522.jpeg

Looks great, in one week you Can already trim the rotala in the back, it will encourage New bushy immerged grow form. ;)

Looks great, in one week you Can already trim the rotala in the back, it will encourage New bushy immerged grow form. ;)
Yeah it came out of the pot quote large already, I'm wary to trim it so early however as most places say to wait for 3 or so weeks before the first trim. I don't think the orange juice is quite ready yet so might look weird o_O

New growth looks a little pale? Or me just being paranoid? Reckon iron deficiency?
20190918_174118.jpg

Added the moss. I forgot how annoying it is to add with the glue especially when it's already full! Growing in well!
LRM_EXPORT_56654572129045_20190919_173755997.jpeg

1 week. Does it look like I should trim the rotala already? Conscious of giving it enough time root properly which is holding me back.
20190920_162834.jpg

Personally id let it settle a while longer how it looks now wont be the end result so does it really matter if it is left to even reach the top and then have bigger healthier steams to replant
Cheers
Jay

Personally id let it settle a while longer how it looks now wont be the end result so does it really matter if it is left to even reach the top and then have bigger healthier steams to replant
Cheers
Jay
That's true. Not sure how I would go about the first trim either though as I'm told to do a massive trim back and then the bushyness starts really low down, replanting the stems in this case would look weird as they'd all be different heights

replanting the stems in this case would look weird as they'd all be different heights
Just trim/plant so they’re similar ;)

If you watch Filipe Oliveira plant stems, he places them quite deep so that the above soil stem height is quite low

When conditions are good (soil, CO2, light) most stem plants are very forgiving

You can play with the trimming ... trim some now, some later, replant tops etc

Just trim/plant so they’re similar ;)

If you watch Filipe Oliveira plant stems, he places them quite deep so that the above soil stem height is quite low

When conditions are good (soil, CO2, light) most stem plants are very forgiving

You can play with the trimming ... trim some now, some later, replant tops etc

That's a good idea actually, I'll just make them the same height as you said either with trimming or planting deeper.
Only thing I'm worried about leaving it now is that some of the stems have grown horizontally and then from that horizontal shoot more stems have grown vertically, when I trim this I may have to play about with it a bit.

Yeah the taller stems just cut the b[toms off to make a similar lenth trim below the sight line so you get two shoote from the first stem
Cheers
Jay

Back