• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125l - 'on the edge'

chump54

Hi all,

new journal, I'm going to try a few layouts before I add the water. I will be using AS but at the mo I'm using 'dirt' ermm...soil from the garden.

it's a 80x34x50ish (rio 125)

I've made a wooden frame to the correct dimensions, it's worked out quite useful much better than the old photo developing tray i was using :rolleyes:

layout 1
3661230460_f870a44f0a.jpg

3660433745_074abfa8c9.jpg

please let me know what you think

Re: new scape attempts

Wow, that looks great! My only suggestion, and please feel free to ignore it completly ;) The rocks at either end look a little square on to the front of the tank, and sort of symetrical with each other. You might want to move them a little, varying how far one is to the edge of the tank compared to the other. Maybe even group them together on the left side, to continue the flow of the rock to the centre?

Just a thought! It's often difficult to tell when looking at photos :)

quality!

like steve suggests, off set the 2 middle stones maybe, and bring one of the left or right in slightly leaving the other....maybe the left one. minimal changes to get it right.

the wood looks brilliant :D

the optiwhite is the best i've seen :lol:

hi,
love it,agree with the others about the end stones.
what wood is that.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, much appreciated :D

SteveUK said:
The rocks at either end look a little square on ...
saintly said:
quality!

like steve suggests, off set the 2 middle stones maybe, and bring one of the left or right in slightly leaving the other....maybe the left one. minimal changes to get it right.

I agree I'm not happy with those either... will have a fiddle with it later.

saintly said:
the wood looks brilliant :D

the optiwhite is the best i've seen :lol:
:lol: it'll look disappointing in the rio 125 :rolleyes:

nelson said:
hi,
love it,agree with the others about the end stones.
what wood is that.
wood is 'heather' sourced locally, took a good month to sink

Dan Crawford said:
Thats freakin' awesome! I'd be well happy with that :D
:lol: thanks

just discovered the kids using it as a 'gormiti' base :lol:

chump54 said:
it'll look disappointing in the rio 125

optiwhite is an expensive luxury mate, i still love float glass though. it almost gives contrast to the over all look.

samc said:
pretty good :D

got any ideas for planting?

sorry sam missed your post,

planting??? well I thought about maybe crypt parva or glosso along the front under the rocks, Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow' and/or Bolbitis heudelotii on/within the wood and possibly hair grass round the sides, with a background of stems possibly HM but not sure about the height I really like the stems (back right) on page 52 of book 1, takashi amano but I don't know what they are... if anyone knows I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

and possibly some moss on the end of some of the wood, but not sure, it would need to be something with a very small scale.

cheers

Chris

Wow, that hardscape looks brilliant! Keep us posted on this. ;)

ok, first one is similar to the previous one, I'm trying to get a bit more height in the rock.

3666491308_2afd46ce1d.jpg

and this one, I'm thinking I would 'fill' the area on the right behind the rock line with substrate. (i've flipped this image as it would work better in the room the tank is in)

3666501114_22037d85d0.jpg

the wood in both these needs some finessing

Hi,

Nice use of a DIY frame to work out the layout out of the tank, i've not caught that technique before.

Looks good. I say plant it.

John

saintly said:
:lol:

there all brilliant! the penultimate is good

ah, sorry! the last one

thanks Mark
hijac said:
Hi,

Nice use of a DIY frame to work out the layout out of the tank, i've not caught that technique before.

Looks good. I say plant it.

John

I just need to get on with :D need to find the time. The frame seemed like a good idea, I'm not going to get much time to try different layouts once the tank is dry (3 kids ;) )

Definitely the last one for me, its got a nice triangular shape going on.

chump54 said:
will do, working on it, and thanks guys

is there a limit to the depth of substrate, ie can it be too deep?

Chris

i can't think of any reason other then not being able to fit anything else in the tank and aesthetics to an upper limit on substrate depth. Oh other then sand and anaerobic pockets, but with your substrate i doubt that would happen.

John

Back