• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120x50x50 first high-tech aquarium

ricreis394

Seedling
Hello everyone,

I started this hobby 2 years ago. Now I want to go further and I'm gonna create a new aquarium, a 120x50x50.
Friday my stand will arrive and then I can show to you the results, since that I can post the project picture so you can see the stand. It's a recreation of a ADA stand.
Pze3trW.png

The stand will be gray high gloss, made entirely with wood.

Also, today I bought major of the material needed for my aquarium. Still didn't have a photo and promise tomorrow will post it here.
Below is the material I have bought so far:
- Aquarium optiwhite 120x50x50
- Chihiros A1201
- JBL CristalProfi e1501
- CO2 Cylinder 2kg
- Kit Co2 with another cylinder
- VIV Lily pipes 60mm
- JBL Proflora Direct 16/22
- Drop checker
- Dici skimmer
- Rocks and wood
Only left the heater I think which wasn't in stock.

I can already show the supposed layout, which I designed in the store. This is not finished and hope to have some critics from you.

a6UslBah.jpg

c4437Z5h.jpg

Assuming your tank is about 300l then you need more flow. The e1501 is only 1400l/hr (reducing even more if you are using a skimmer) which is only half way there to the EI recommend flow rate of x10 tank volume. However you could just wait and see, if flow is not enough ie drop checker does not turn green in certain areas of the tank, then you can just add a power head to get more flow.

An air pump, on after CO2 is off, is also a very good way of getting rid off scum and cleaning the water surface without a skimmer.

Assuming your tank is about 300l then you need more flow. The e1501 is only 1400l/hr (reducing even more if you are using a skimmer) which is only half way there to the EI recommend flow rate of x10 tank volume. However you could just wait and see, if flow is not enough ie drop checker does not turn green in certain areas of the tank, then you can just add a power head to get more flow.

An air pump, on after CO2 is off, is also a very good way of getting rid off scum and cleaning the water surface without a skimmer.
Thanks for the reply.
Right now I have a smaller tank with 80x40x40 I guess using a JBL filter. The purpose is to discontinue that tank as soon as I fill with water the new tank. After that, if the flow isn't sufficient I put that filter on the other end of the tank. I think the filter is the e901.

Besides Ian said, about the flow, I assume you will need the second filter in order to have enough filter material to brake down amonia. Which substrate will you use?

As promised here's the photos of the material:
TsrGovlh.jpg

ni6yFg7h.jpg

xizq2F0h.jpg

P8SdrJ9h.jpg

6KlUeDmh.jpg

0kzxo6xh.jpg

And here's the spot I'll put the stand and the aquarium:
As you can see there's inflow for new water and outflow for old water. Great for TPA's
Rnb1Ryxh.jpg

Besides Ian said, about the flow, I assume you will need the second filter in order to have enough filter material to brake down amonia. Which substrate will you use?
I'll use the jbl proscape volcano powder for soil supplement, then I'll use one bag of jbl volcano mineral only to create a little more volume and then I'll use 2 or more (it depends) of Dennerle scapers soil Type 1-4mm.

Nice tank and stand. Look just like ada. Scape look good but one thing you can do it raise the wood up abit it looks a bit flat. The right side look good just the middle and left side. Add some more substrate or rock underneath
So far so good

Cheers
Ryan
Tomorrow I'll try to raise the wood a little bit. I still have one bag of substrate to add, I'm just positioning the rocks and wood to the right place, then I'll add the substrate.

Sloping for sure - it'll allow you to achieve a fuller, more luscious look by allowing more variety of plants to be used where they might not normally be used. If it's flat, you might have a headache picking background plants as you're limited to what can grow tall rather than what can grow medium and/or tall.

Looks really good if you ask me. I Just would keep the substrate i bit more open by removing 2 or 3 rocks and smash them into smaller pieces.

Back