• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm new scape

Check out around 2:36.

You can see one of the guys trying to squeeze in a brown mat. I don't know if its a yoga mat to be honest. I just had some scrap pieces of yoga mat lying around. It's actually pretty good because it's flexible and sorta "pushes" against the corners for a better fit compared to piling on smaller rocks or using a piece of plastic card.

Haven't updated in a while so here comes a picture post. I've been busy at work and gaming when I'm not! Growth has been really slow, even the ferns took ages to actually start producing new leaves. There's a bunch of BBA everywhere and the rocks are covered in blackish/greenish algae. White sand has turned greenish brown, which I think is okay since it look more natural.

Full tank shot
DSC03224.jpg

Planting has changed somewhat since I started. I've added more ferns on the arch section as I find my discus always trying to hide from direct sunlight. Trimmed the Vallisneria nana and they never really grew back. Also added Hygrophilla stricta on the left and right rear.

Couple of shots of my Congo Tetras. One of my dream fish.
DSC03234.jpg

DSC03244.jpg

And of my discus munching on frozen bloodworms. One of my dream fish too.
DSC03247.jpg

DSC03245.jpg

Finally a cory, not sure which one he is to be honest. Sterbai?
DSC03235.jpg

Some really nice shots of some really nice fish :clap:

Thanks all for the comments. I still want to improve my photography but not quite sure how without spending more on lighting.

Looks like Tim takes the cake this time, its a Corydoras trilineatus. Julii has finer super explosion-like spots while trilineatus more snakeskin (using discus terminology there).

Although I love discus but I don't think I'll be keeping more of them in the future. Hate it when they start competing with each other. I also leave very early in the morning for work so I can only feed once a day, which probably explains why they compete with each other so much. I have also found out that scapes need to be tailored for discus with lots of hidey places and shade.

Been playing around with my camera again, this time with off-camera flash.

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

Swimming through a storm of CO2 bubbles!
DSC03295.jpg

DSC03299.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

Thanks Gary.

Thanks nry, Tim already cleared it up for me. I went back to the LFS and saw that it was still labelled as julii. Looked the same as mine (and at the same price too).

Water change time, using my patented LFS fish bag full-o-holes filling system :)
DSC03313_zpsed645cdc.jpg

Close-up shots of an Aponogeton flowering. Second one in this tank.
DSC03326_zps12758e63.jpg

DSC03323_zpse3017a25.jpg

Wow :woot: The ferns have covered the wood beautifully and it gives the feeling of 3 distinct layers to the tank. Well worth the wait I think.

Here's the piece of folded yoga mat used to hold the aquasoil back. Once the plants grow in more, it should just disappear. I learnt it from one of Amano's videos, the one where he scaped the 180cm x 180cm cube.
Please say you know where to find that video!! thats sounds massive! lol

Thanks for the comments Lindy. The mini Java Fern is growing nicely but I can't get the narrow ones to grow in a "bloom" if you know what I mean. They seem to be a bit straggly to me.

Jack-rythm, the video is one of the posts in this thread: 120cm new scape | Page 2 | UK Aquatic Plant Society. Good luck!

Had a bit of a scare, I noticed that my one lonely discus was missing in the photo and during feeding time so I went to look for it. Couldn't find it after 15 mins of searching! Thought it had jumped out and the cat had a fresh fish supper. Panic ensued at this moment. Even recruited the wife to help me look. Finally found it in deep hiding. Phew!!

Haven't updated in a while so here comes a picture post. I've been busy at work and gaming when I'm not! Growth has been really slow, even the ferns took ages to actually start producing new leaves. There's a bunch of BBA everywhere and the rocks are covered in blackish/greenish algae. White sand has turned greenish brown, which I think is okay since it look more natural.

Full tank shot
DSC03224.jpg

Planting has changed somewhat since I started. I've added more ferns on the arch section as I find my discus always trying to hide from direct sunlight. Trimmed the Vallisneria nana and they never really grew back. Also added Hygrophilla stricta on the left and right rear.

Couple of shots of my Congo Tetras. One of my dream fish.
DSC03234.jpg

DSC03244.jpg

And of my discus munching on frozen bloodworms. One of my dream fish too.
DSC03247.jpg

DSC03245.jpg

Finally a cory, not sure which one he is to be honest. Sterbai?
DSC03235.jpg
your fish are beautiful :) what sort of cory is that?

Back