• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - Harlequins' Haven

aaronnorth said:
Is that the only nutrient (TPN+) you dose on the rio and 120cm tanks? Because i am thinking about doing the same but with excell aswell.

That's right. I went through a phase of dosing extra N, K, Fe but there's no need.

I honestly think Tropica have hit the mark with an effective all-in-one fert.

George Farmer said:
Cheers, James!

Interesting on the dosings too - I never knew actual figures for NP. Thanks.

Actually those figures aren't strictly correct. I calculated the amount N as if it all comes from NO3, but as TPN+ contains an ammonium compound, some of this N is derived from there, so the NO3 figure will be lower. The N content will be the same though.

James

Actually those figures aren't strictly correct. I calculated the amount N as if it all comes from NO3, but as TPN+ contains an ammonium compound, some of this N is derived from there, so the NO3 figure will be lower. The N content will be the same though.

I did wonder, James. But I am happy to leave the 'complex' science stuff to you and Clive.

I'm more than content with my tweezers, scissors and camera! Anyway, I'm off to plant a million HC plantlets into my nano now. It's the simple things... :D

Thanks pal.

Very nice layout George with good potential, you have been a busy boy lately :)

You will be spoilt for choice come competition layout picking time and its only just ended February :wideyed:

Where are the crypts planted in this layout btw?

Good work.

zig said:
Very nice layout George with good potential, you have been a busy boy lately :)

You will be spoilt for choice come competition layout picking time and its only just ended February :wideyed:

Where are the crypts planted in this layout btw?

Good work.

Thanks, Peter.

Yes, it's a pity you can only enter one 'scape into the ADA. The AGA has three though, one of which will be my biotope re-do...

The crypts are midground, between the HC/downoi and vallis. They're just putting on a growth spurt now. No melt either, even with CO2 solenoid. I may get another crpyt species to texturize some more.

I've more Anubias coming soon and the 60 harlequins will be introduced on 22nd March. Should look cool. It's been without fish for about 7 weeks now (except shrimp and otos).

It`s a hell of a portfolio you are getting together, George.

I love the simple and fresh look of the tank. Its main attraction is its simplicity of colour and leaf shape. It will be intersting to see how the Cyperus helferi will look.

Have you considered Eleocharis vivipara, George? It may not work, but if you are ever tempted to give it a try, there is no better time than when there are no stems about. God, it got tangled up in the Micranthemum umbrosum in my Riccia scape.

Harlequins are great looking fish when there are plenty of them. Have you ever seen Copper Harlequins? I`m not sure of the latin name, but they are that little brighter than the normal variety. I saw some the other day at The Green Machine and thought what tremendous little fish they were.

Dave.

Thanks, Dave.

E. vivipari is an interesting thought. I've always found it looking too 'messy' for my taste, and this is a 'clean' 'scape. I think the fine texture may be too fine. I deliberately went for Vallis 'tiger' over V. nana for the same reason.

I know the harlequins you mean. My LFS have some too. I like the regular variety too though, and I'm getting 60 for £65...

Harlequin Heavan

Hi George, superb as usual but my question is how do you find the time? Job,wife, children, dog, forums pfk, my hat goes off to you my friend since i became semi retired i seem to have less leisure time than before :p regards john see you at the TGM

Re: Harlequin Heavan

john starkey said:
Hi George, superb as usual but my question is how do you find the time? Job,wife, children, dog, forums pfk, my hat goes off to you my friend since i became semi retired i seem to have less leisure time than before :p regards john see you at the TGM

I get up at 0530 and go to bed at 1130pm!

It's not easy, but I thrive under pressure... :D

Look forward to seeing you at TGM, John. Be great to meet up again and have a proper chat this time, rather than me being side-tracked by cider and video games! :D

farmer / cider goes together

Hi George, funny really how you like cider and you are mr farmer, :p ,regards john

Re: farmer / cider goes together

john starkey said:
Hi George, funny really how you like cider and you are mr farmer, :p ,regards john

Well, John, "George" actually means "Farmer" in Greek.

So you could call me "Farmer Farmer"!

Anyway, back on topic...

I get my 60 harlequins in 2 weeks. Can't wait.

I added a load more Anubias and some larger crypts to the midground. The vallis is going mental so it may be time to swap to some Cyperus soon.

The HC and downoi is growing really well.

This 'scape has good potential I think. It may even be good enough for competition, not sure yet.

I'll save the photos for the fish.

competition potential

Hi George, i think you may be right it sounds like its going to look great with all those harlequins , maybe you bring some pics with you to the TGM meet, regards john.

Re: competition potential

john starkey said:
Hi George, i think you may be right it sounds like its going to look great with all those harlequins , maybe you bring some pics with you to the TGM meet, regards john.

Thanks, John.

I'll bring my laptop and camera/tripod etc. Should be fun!

Re: farmer / cider goes together

George Farmer said:
I get my 60 harlequins in 2 weeks.

Howdy, Just out of curiosity what variety of Harlequin are you getting. I've been thinking of using this species myself but the only species I have seen in shops is the standard harlequin Trigonostigma heteromorpha but I'm looking for the variety called Trigonostigma hengeli. IMHO the difference between the two species is drastic in terms of their iridescent nature with T. hengei being the better of the two. I've seen the latter species once and they look stunning but are apparently (unfortunately) difficult to come by. Here is to hoping they appear on a whole-sale list soon.

Hengeli are very common in England, most shop usually have them and heteromorpha, so they can't be that hard for shops to get hold of. Ask your favourite shop to get some in. They are great little fish, although they do eventually get nearly as big as heteromorpha, although they are slightly slimmer built (epecially the males).

As you say, they look as if they are lit from inside. The only downside to them, in my experience, is that they do tend to jump (I think heteromprpha lays it's eggs on overhanging (ie above the waterline) plant leaves, maybe hengeli do too). I wouldn't stock them in an open tank again. The other fish in the tank are green neons and ottocinclus, and none of them have ever jumped. I think I've lost 50% of mine to carpet death in about two years (gone from 14 to 7 :( ).

Good luck tracking them down - keep them in a covered tank!

Mark

Hey George,

How`s about knocking the Harlequins on the head and going for a pair of Arrowanas instead. One black and one white. It should look mint. :lol:

Dave.

Luketendo said:
George Farmer said:
Luketendo said:
I do hope that is a joke. :p

It is.

On another forum there have been comments that I should keep bigger fish...

Yes obviously.

Maybe you should give it a go.

When my living room is ready, I'll set up a 240x75x75cm, likely with wild or F1 P.scalares. Altums are too tall, even for that IMO.

That will be a long-term, low maint set up. No stems or carpets.

Then use the 60cm opti-white to churn out aquascapes.

Just the two tanks.

I have five on the go at the moment. It's touch and go with sanity... :wideyed:

Back