• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - George of the Jungle pg.5 new pics

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi all,

PFK recently commissioned me for a jungle-style layout so this is my attempt, featured as a step-by-step feature in the June '11 issue.

It was refreshing to use lots of large-leaved classic species that aren't common in modern aquascaping. Aponogetons, Crinums, Echinodorus, Giant Vallis, big Anubias, Amazon frogbit etc. Newer species include A. crispus 'red' and H. pinnatifida.

There's little real intended design to the layout. I relied more on the chaotic nature of heavy plant growth and large textures to create the jungle effect. I have re-scaped it slightly over the last few weeks and will post some more pics soon.

It's not my strongest layout but has provided lots of pleasure for relatively little effort, and the fish are as happy as pigs in poo!

5711085002_7f824952b1_b.jpg

5710525593_597861a359_b.jpg

5711083160_19c8c18ff6_b.jpg

5711083650_2464232316_b.jpg

5711083978_78a0369618_b.jpg

5710523627_1670100ba1_z.jpg

Spec -

Tank - Aquariums Ltd 120 x 45 x 45cm and cabinet with DIY front panel
Lighting - Arcadia OT2 luminaire (4 x 54w T5), 2 tubes for 9hrs, DIY lighting stand (supplied by Dan Crawford)
Filter - Fluval FX5 with 25mm-16mm fittings (thanks Gareth!), Fluval G inlet/outlet, Hydor inline heater
CO2 - 2Kg FE with TMC reg/solenoid and UP inline diffuser, 2BPS (low CO2)
Substrate - 20 litres TMC NutraSoil
Ferts - Combination of Aqua Rebel and TPN+, 15ml per day, 50% WC weekly
Decor - Unipac Sumatra XL
Plants - Microsorum pteropus
Bolbitis heudelotii
Vallasneria americana gingantea
Crinum natans
Crinum calimistratum
Aponogeton boevinianus
Aponogeton crispus ‘Red’
Echinodorus ‘Ozelot’
Echinodorus ‘Rubin’
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Sagittaria subulata
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Anubias barteria var. barteri
Limnobium laevigatum

Fish - Red-fin Colombian tetra, Penguin tetra, Neon tetra

Re: 120cm - George of the Jungle

Woah, those red fin tetras, I need some!

Like the scape, definitely captured the jungle look. Would be nice to see it grow in.

Preacox rainbows would have been a better choice for the tank I think George, similar colours more elongate frame to exaggerate the horiztontal, that's a minor niggle though, I love how healthy it is, not something I'd ever want to try myself though.

Great scape, I am a fan of jungles.. :)

Pinnatifida looks grown in, with the submerged leaves already, and the plants super healthy.

It is really good that PFK is doing more aquascaping related work, I have purchased the last two magazines, and may even subscribe if they carry on like that.

Thanks, all. :)

Morgan Freeman said:
Would be nice to see it grow in.
Yes, these were taken at about the 6 week point. Now it's been almost 4 months, and I've done some minor re-scapeing so it's really quite different.

Garuf said:
Preacox rainbows would have been a better choice for the tank I think George
I preferred red-fins for this. Great fish that I think look like little piranhas and really suit the jungle. I also think mixing other tetras works due to the large variety in textures. Each to their own, but thanks for your input.

skeletonw00t said:
I really like the DIY lighting stand.
Dan Crawford loaned it to me. I think his Dad made it.

bigmatt said:
... this is one i'd like to see in the flesh - just to get the full whack of all the different textures! Nice! Matt
If you're even in the area then let me know. Always happy to have a cuppa with fellow UKAPS members!

SteveUK said:
Stunning George! How do you find the flow with all the large leafed plants?
Not as 'bad' as it sounds. I have the Fluval G outlet (2 nozzles at a right angle to one another) in the corner so one points across the back of the tank and the other across the right hand side towards the front. Flow throughout the water column isn't that strong, and I'm running low CO2 with moderate lighting. Works well for me with no algae, and I don't have an algae crew either.

ghostsword said:
It is really good that PFK is doing more aquascaping related work, I have purchased the last two magazines, and may even subscribe if they carry on like that.
It's not really a new thing for PFK to publish aquascaping stuff.

I've been contributing aquarium plant and aquascaping articles to PFK almost every month since 2006. 50 of them are now freely available on the PFK website too.

Graeme Edwards, Dan Crawford and James Starr-Marshall have all have numerous articles published too.

I'd encourage anyone to give it a try. Jeremy Gay, PFK Editor, is always interested in new and exciting planted tank and aquascaping material. :thumbup:

Healthy looking Jungle, and liking the large plants used. Did you use mother plants or just grow them to that size for the pix.

Tom said:
Very nice Jungle :) Makes me really want to set up the Rio180 low tech again, but the puffer with dig it all up!
Thanks, Tom.

I think you could still get a jungle-look with lots of epiphytic plants i.e. Anubias, ferns, Bolbitis, moss etc, so suitable for digging species. Floating plants work well too - they grow quickly, provide shade and shelter and are a great way to help prevent algae.

Jungles, in my view, are one of the easiest and most forgiving styles to aquascape - perfect for beginners learning the basics of aquascaping and how to grow plants.

I also think they're one of the best set-ups for fish, especially with low CO2 levels. I moved my Pretty tetras from my 60cm iwagumi into this and the difference in behaviour was significant. Enough to certainly make me think...

Gill said:
Healthy looking Jungle, and liking the large plants used. Did you use mother plants or just grow them to that size for the pix.
Thanks, Pardeep.

All of the plants were from Tropica and from their normal-size pots. I will post a shot of it after planting so you can see the growth. I have removed Aponogeton leaves that have grown to over 80cm, Amazon sword leaves over 60cm and Vallis leaves over 100cm!

George Farmer said:
Thanks, all. :)

Morgan Freeman said:
Would be nice to see it grow in.
Yes, these were taken at about the 6 week point. Now it's been almost 4 months, and I've done some minor re-scapeing so it's really quite different.

Garuf said:
Preacox rainbows would have been a better choice for the tank I think George
I preferred red-fins for this. Great fish that I think look like little piranhas and really suit the jungle. I also think mixing other tetras works due to the large variety in textures. Each to their own, but thanks for your input.

ghostsword said:
It's not really a new thing for PFK to publish aquascaping stuff.

I've been contributing aquarium plant and aquascaping articles to PFK almost every month since 2006. 50 of them are now freely available on the PFK website too.

Graeme Edwards, Dan Crawford and James Starr-Marshall have all have numerous articles published too.

I'd encourage anyone to give it a try. Jeremy Gay, PFK Editor, is always interested in new and exciting planted tank and aquascaping material. :thumbup:

It was just my bad luck that when I bought the magazine it was mostly about fish. :)

I am aware of the articles on the pfk website, the kids at school are now looking at your biotopes, as they are learning about habitats. They even setup a clearseal tank with just mosses and anubias, using EI and regular water changes. No algae so far. :)

I am doing a short talk next Tuesday about biotopes, how plants adapt on the wild and how we can almost replicate those settings on our aquariums, so will use your Biotopes and pictures from the wild to get the point across.

If the project goes sucessfully, then there is a chance for other schools in Newham to start using the online resources such as PFK and UKAPS/ASW articles to learn more about freshwater.

Great tank and very healthy plants.

ghostsword said:
It was just my bad luck that when I bought the magazine it was mostly about fish. :)

I am aware of the articles on the pfk website, the kids at school are now looking at your biotopes, as they are learning about habitats. They even setup a clearseal tank with just mosses and anubias, using EI and regular water changes. No algae so far. :)

I am doing a short talk next Tuesday about biotopes, how plants adapt on the wild and how we can almost replicate those settings on our aquariums, so will use your Biotopes and pictures from the wild to get the point across.

If the project goes sucessfully, then there is a chance for other schools in Newham to start using the online resources such as PFK and UKAPS/ASW articles to learn more about freshwater.

Great tank and very healthy plants.
It must have been when Matt Clarke was running the mag, although he did commission the biotope articles.

Great news about spreading the word to the kids. I think it's really important to get the hobby represented appropriately at grass-root level, and biotopes are the way forward. Much better than fluorescent gravel and tack ornaments, that's for sure!

If there's anything UKAPS can contribute in a more specific manner to the schools' projects, then please let me know.

George Farmer said:
It must have been when Matt Clarke was running the mag, although he did commission the biotope articles.

Great news about spreading the word to the kids. I think it's really important to get the hobby represented appropriately at grass-root level, and biotopes are the way forward. Much better than fluorescent gravel and tack ornaments, that's for sure!

If there's anything UKAPS can contribute in a more specific manner to the schools' projects, then please let me know.

I am showing the kids the UKAPS site and the articles. The Biotopes are indeed the way forward, and the kids are now comparing their pink tanks and how the biotopes are, and they are very interested on the biotopes.

Had a couple of issues with the Biology teachers and the use of ferts on the water, they were all into the algae issues, and the fish dying, so I told them that if they saw any algae on the 50L tank to let me know, but the dosing would continue. I also to make a point took all leaves of the Anubias Hastifolia and just plonked them on the tank, they are now with leaves sprouting then.

I told the teachers to read the EI article that is on the site, and they are still trying to get their head around it. Told them if they have issues to join the site and ask specific questions, or write them on a paper and I will try my best to answer them, or post them on the site.

It is a simple tank, with dupla ground, manzy wood, moss bed and java fern, anubias, very simple and effective. It also has a emersed area with draceanas and mangroves.

I am also lending to the school my nature aquarium books so that they kids can see how amazing tanks can really be. I am not so much into fish, so the focus is on plants.

It has guppies, Cherrie barbs and White Cloud minows. The head teacher now wants a tank for the reception, so we may replicate your white cloud minows biotope, easy to maintain and very effective as a display.

I would say that everyone should contact their schools and see if they need help, habitats is part of the national curriculum, and on these hard times they all need help. :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Hi all,
Great tank and well done for Ghostsword's for his work in schools. The Biology Syllabus in secondary schools is now really heavily biased towards human biology and most kids don't have any idea about ecology, the natural world etc., but if we could get them interested in primary school ........
I think you could still get a jungle-look with lots of epiphytic plants i.e. Anubias, ferns, Bolbitis, moss etc, so suitable for digging species. Floating plants work well too - they grow quickly, provide shade and shelter and are a great way to help prevent algae. Jungles, in my view, are one of the easiest and most forgiving styles to aquascape - perfect for beginners learning the basics of aquascaping and how to grow plants. I also think they're one of the best set-ups for fish, especially with low CO2 levels. I moved my Pretty tetras from my 60cm iwagumi into this and the difference in behaviour was significant. Enough to certainly make me think...
That is why I like Jungles as well, lots of plant growth makes them stable and resilient, and a complex environment and good water quality keeps the fish happy.

cheers Darrel

Funny you should mention pirahna, I was thinking buck tooth tertras might also look good, the colours once happy are breath taking.

tank looks great and so healthy George :) Is the sumatra buried in side somewhere in the jungle

Whats Aqua Rebel by the way?

The Sumatra is covered with Anubias, ferns and bolbitis, and hidden behind lots of other plants!

Back