• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1200L High Tech Planted Tank

Looks brilliant! Does your Severum not eat any of the plants?
Thanks! He will take bites here and there but it hasn't been a big problem. I bought him a long time ago as an impulse purchase not knowing they eat plants so I got lucky with him lol.

So a lot has happened in the last month. As suggested I began dosing chelated iron DTPA. I also started dosing iron gluconate. I started front loading all my macros after my water change and the other 6 days I dose my micro solution and each day I'll dose half a teaspoon of gluconate and a pinch of DTPA. I'm honestly not sure If I've seen a significant difference but you can judge for yourself in the video.

Another change in fertilization is that I bought some pottasium chloride which I began to dose on top of my macro solution. I've noticed people dose much higher pottasium than what is in my pre-mixed macro packet. I now dose an extra 20 ppm pottasium.

I was getting tired of looking at the GDA coating my plants so I did something many of you may disagree with. I bought an algaecide. I used API algaefix and within a few days most of the GDA that was on my plants melted away. I now have pretty clean plants with no algae except on a few older leaves. I haven't noticed the GDA return on the plants but time will tell if it comes back. I think the plants look pretty healthy but you guys can tell me if anything looks wrong with them. I am noticing a small film of GDA returning on the glass but I'm just happy it's not on the plants.

I also added an army of snails to help manage any algae that may come back or is still there. I added 200 olive nerite snails, 50 mystery snails, 100 ramshorn snails, and 300 malaysian trumpet snails. I've noticed the malaysian trumpet snail babies are amazing at eating GDA on plants, but they only clean up to the bottom third of the tank. Hopefully that's where the ramshorns come in. The nerites are great at cleaning larger surfaces. The mysteries I am not sure if they are good algae eaters, but they are the most fun to look at.

During this time period my tank came under attack from ick. I think I somehow cross-contaminated from my aunts fish tank that had ick. I treated the tank with API ick super cure. Weirdly only the plecos, severum, loaches, and live bearers where affected by the ich. The angelfish did not get a single speck and acted completely normal. I unfortunately lost a few baby plecos and my three clown loaches. But as of now all the fish look healthy and recovered.

I tested my GH and KH and this is what I have. GH: 15 KH: 8. After adjusting my CO2 to reach the proper level and increasing surface agitation I am now going through 5lbs of CO2 per week. I am curious how much does everyone pay for CO2 around the world? I'm currently paying $30 to exchange my 20lb tank. I considered getting a 50lb tank which has $60 refills. But I am not sure if It'll be too heavy to be practical.

Here is what the tank currently looks like, I will be trimming my rotala bushes sometime this week. I'm also planning on replacing a bush or two with rotala blood red and ludwigia super red. I have some on the way so I may consolidate two of the rotala bushes into one.
View attachment 198958

Here is a video of the tank so you guys can get a better idea of how the plants are doing.

Looks fantastic! You are on the right path for sure. How many wavemaker you have ? Flow looks on point.

I just did a big trim on the plants. I felt so guilty cutting away all that pretty growth. But here is the tank now.
20221228_104909.jpg

I combined the right and left rotala bushes into one super bush. On the left of the center rotala bush will be a big ludwigia super red bush. I also need to find a shorter version of the jungle val to replace the vals I have in the middle. The empty right part of the tank is where the rotala blood red bush will be going. Here are all the emmersed plants.
20221228_105515.jpg

Looks fantastic! You are on the right path for sure. How many wavemaker you have ? Flow looks on point.
Thanks! I have two wave makers on each back corner of the tank facing the front glass. And in the middle overflow I have a return pipe facing the left and right side of the tank.

The past few days I've been noticing that my tank has been getting cloudy and it wasn't until today that I looked through the side of the tank and noticed it had a green tint. I have green water :( This is my first time with this algae in a fish tank.
20230115_192733.jpg

I am not entirely sure what triggered it. About a week and a half ago I dosed a blue green slime remover because I was starting to see cyano growing in some places. I've since increased my macro dosing to the entire 500 ml bottle once a week. I maybe killed my beneficial bacteria and this created room for the algae to bloom. Also made worse by the fact that I'm dosing more ferts.

Another factor is I haven't been super consistent with my iron/micro dosing. I plan on adding my iron/micro powders to an auto feeder to auto dose a few times every day. Hopefully this helps the few struggling plants. For the most part plants are doing fine, except for the rotala blood red, amazon sword and the ludwigia super red. I can't imagine CO2 still being an issue since I have so much flow and inject so much but I do need to do another CO2 profile just to be sure.

The pictures aren't great since green water but these are the rotala blood red with lots of stunted tips.

20230115_192824.jpg
20230115_192839.jpg

Another possible problem is too much light. I unfortunately don't have a PAR meter to see how much I have. But what do you guys think of these settings? I have 3 chihiros WRGB II 90 pro.
Screenshot_20230115-193147_My Chihiros.jpg

The lights are 5 cm (2 in) above the water. I also have glass lids under the lights. The water depth from top of substrate to the top of the water line is 64 cm (25 in). I also have 2 120 cm nicrew skyled to light the front portion of the tank since my tank is so wide.

I would prefer not to get a UV sterilizer since I don't want to add more heat to the tank since the pumps already add a bit of heat. I also hear a UV sterilizer may make my problems with micros worse. But my main concern is adding more heat.

I hope plant health improves with adding iron/miros consistently and frequently. Perhaps I also need to reduce light to improve plant health. Would reducing nitrates help? I think my current dose is around 15 ppm weekly. But I am sure I have a lot more nitrates coming from the fish. My thinking is that it would reduce CO2 demand? Or am I wrong?

I would prefer not to get a UV sterilizer since I don't want to add more heat to the tank since the pumps already add a bit of heat. I also hear a UV sterilizer may make my problems with micros worse. But my main concern is adding more heat.
From my vantage point I cant say for sure if this is Phytoplankton (green water) or bloom of some other bacteria - or what could have caused it.

Due to the size of the tank you will probably need a lot of UV firepower to provide enough coverage. With UV I wouldn't be worried about breaking down micros (Fe in particular) if you just dose early in the day and only run the UV over night (say 12 hours per day). The added heat generation from the UV you will probably have to live with for the duration of the deployment, but may not be an issue if you only run it in the night where our room temperature usually drop anyway. That, and increased frequency of water changes should take care of the cloudy water if it is a bacterial or algae related bloom.

I am not familiar with the "slime remover" or what its active ingredients are - is that the UltraLife one? We usually recommend not using chemicals to fight algae in the tank, but rather focus on the root causes. I cant say if the application fo the "slime remover" might have anything to do with the recent green water / bacteria bloom.

I would not change the fertilizer regime, but dialing down the light intensity a smidge for the time being might help on that algae issue. Algae issues are all related to nutrient imbalances; poor nutrient distribution around the tank including CO2/O2/fertilizer, too intense light, unstable water parameters etc.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Due to the size of the tank you will probably need a lot of UV firepower to provide enough coverage. With UV I wouldn't be worried about breaking down micros (Fe in particular) if you just dose early in the day and only run the UV over night (say 12 hours per day).
I found this 55W on Amazon Jebao PU-55 Pond and Aquarium Clarifier, 55-watt, Black https://a.co/d/fttVIcg I've really liked their pumps so I may try this UV. They also have a more expensive stainless steel version I may get instead. Looking at the reefing forums it seems 55w is around the minimum for my tank size. Because of that it may not add a significant amount of heat. The reviews seem to have success running it on big ponds so I may give this a try. I'd probably run the CO2 return from the reactors into this and then into my main return pump.

I am not familiar with the "slime remover" or what its active ingredients are - is that the UltraLife one? We usually recommend not using chemicals to fight algae in the tank, but rather focus on the root causes.
Yes it's the ultra life blue green slime remover. I can't find the ingredients it just says does not contain algaecides or erythromycin. It's a pink powder. I think the cyano showed up when my plant mass was very high and I was only dosing 7.5 ppm nitrates. I remember missing a week of dosing nitrates. That may have started it. I'm hoping the increased macro dosing addresses the root cause.

Fabulous tank and a great roller coaster journey! 1200 litres - wow! 👍
Thank you!

So I just made a micro/iron mix and added it to an auto feeder. The mix I made has about 0.2 ppm Fe DTPA, 0.3 ppm Fe Gluconate, and the dose from the micro mix packet which has 0.5 ppm Fe EDTA. That is the total dose for the week. The dose is split 14 times to be dosed twice every day. Once at lights on and a second dose 5 hours later. This should fix my inconsistencies with manually adding iron every day and missing several doses as well as dosing at non-ideal times. Dry dosing the iron should be fine right?

The UV sterilizer from the link above should be here tomorrow so ill get it setup as soon as possible and post before and after pictures of the tank to see what difference it makes. I also bought a bunch of 50 micron socks to improve mechanical filtration.

This is my current CO2 profile. It looks like I may have a little too much CO2 which definitely shows on my fish. I am going to try to dial down the needle valve and work to get a max 1.2 pH drop. Other than that the CO2 stays pretty stable after lights on which is at 10:30 am. My flow I think is pretty good as shown in the videos before.
CO2profile.png

The UV sterilizer worked great! This is the tank right before installing the UV sterilizer.
20230118_200317.jpg
This is the tank just one day later. Already much clearer. The filter sock clogged fast and was very green.
20230119_190839.jpg
This is the tank one week later. It is now very crystal clear. It is also about time to trim again.
20230127_190727.jpg
I have been running the UV 24/7 the last week but I may reduce it now. The temperature increase from the UV was at most 0.5 C (1 F). I would like to run it for as long as possible each day but not sure how significant of an impact it has on reducing the availability of the iron for my plants. Although I no longer have GDA on my plants I am still struggling from iron deficiency. This is very frustrating. I am thinking of doubling or tripling the weekly iron dosage from the gluconate and the DTPA, hopefully that will fix it. The pictures don't show the chlorosis very accurately but it is there.
20230127_191235.jpg
20230127_191253.jpg
20230127_191303.jpg
20230127_191332.jpg
20230127_191422.jpg
20230127_191431.jpg
20230127_191437.jpg

As you can see in the pictures I am also struggling with a lot of stunting on the rotala blood red, Anyone have any ideas as to why that may be? The ammania senegalensis also struggles with stunting. These are the only two plants with this problem. My CO2 is pretty stable at a 1- 1.1 pH drop by lights on till 2 hours before lights off. I also have plenty of flow. Could it be related to the iron deficiency? Even the moss has some chlorosis.
20230127_191514.jpg

Not a lot has happened since I have been neglecting the tank a bit this year, but I working on restarting the tank.
20230524_131419.jpg

This was the tank a few months ago, you can't really see it but plants were suffering a bit from not getting fertilizer or CO2 for a while. During this time I decided I wanted to rescape the tank. I bought some black lava rock and a few weeks later I bought the UNS controsoil and the driftwood in the picture below.
20230718_141506.jpg

This was the first scape I came up with. I thought it looked nice, but I wasnt competely hapy with It and decided to try rescaping it again. I bought some UNS controsoil and the large driftwood pieces for the 2nd rescape.
20230621_163411.jpg

This is the in construction new scape. I lost a lot of the plants due neglecting the tank and not dosing ferts/CO2/water changes. But I am ready to spend more time on this tank again. I have a bunch of plants on the way and I will be copleting this scape soon and I am very excited to plant this.
20231118_173419.jpg

Last edited:
Back