• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55cm 'On the sea shore'

Here's a couple of images. Not as good as the above, but to show the moss slowly taking over.

8302732827_171acfbb37_b.jpg
crimbo-3 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

8302732219_2544fdc578_b.jpg
crimbo-2 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

8302731913_87920e82ac_b.jpg
crimbo-1 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

This layout has been a great exercise in learning how to grow moss.

I know for many, moss is easy. There are a few who are masterful with the stuff, but for me in the past, it was a nightmare. It would grow brown and not look too great at all.

Over the last few layouts I've managed to get some really healthy looking moss, and this tank has to be my healthiest moss to date.

I know for many, moss is easy. There are a few who are masterful with the stuff, but for me in the past, it was a nightmare. It would grow brown and not look too great at all.

So what have you learnt Mark ? It would be useful for all us plebs to know so we can benefit from your findings :)

So what have you learnt Mark

It's nothing new Chris. It's stuff I've mentioned may times in my journals.

What I've discovered (in my tanks at least) that moss is not a great fan of over dosing. Recently, I've started to add less ferts, but still gained more than adequate results.

Lower lighting, but high co2 opens up the 'goal' a little. More room for error, and less time spent on worry.

It's not that I'm lazy; I just wanted a way of doing things that made life much easier. I believe that I have found that regime.

I'm pretty sure I could transpose the idea it to anyone's tank.

Cool, thank for that, I remember you telling us about those things. Just wondered if you were referring to something different with the moss. So, what is it that you think the moss does not like about an abundance of ferts ? It kind of goes against the grain vis a vis the EI article we have all read. I only have a few plants in a 125L tank at the moment due to the change around of my tanks. But I have ADA amazonia in there (thanks for the help with that decision) and am dosing minimal Seachem Flourish but with decent CO2 levels (but again, not "blast off" levels) and the Pogostemon Stellata I had from TGM is taking off like crazy.

To be honest Chris, I'm not really sure why the moss doesn't like a ton of ferts.

The whole science behind my approach is lacking. I too would like to know a few answers to my questions.

It won't be long until I'll be doing a new layout.

I really am ready to step away from the 'all too similar' layouts that I've been producing of late. Time for a change me thinks.

I might leave wood alone for a while and stick with stone.

Hi Mark

What T5's do you have in your Gman. l'm a beginer with a 350 litre elos 120, tank is coming along well. My lighting is a Gman Helios, it's a 4 x 54 watt T5 and led hybrid. l'm playing with the T5 tubes, currently only using 2 of the 54 watt T5's and the led's don't want to overdo it. Your tank looks crisp and white. Do you think the halides or T5's are giving that? l've tried 4000, 6500 and 8000k T5's, l'm happiest with the 8000k. What T5's are you running????

Mike

What T5's do you have in your Gman

Hi Mike.
I'm using the JBL solar nature, rated @ 9000K.

I've used just about every lamp going, and I keep coming back to these. They're not the cheapest, but for me, I don't mind paying that bit extra for a lamp that gives a good colour rendition.

Other lamps that I've used in a similar K rating always seem to give off a tinge of yellow, but with these, there's no evidence of a 'colour cast'

Greens look great under these tubes, and the odd time I've had a red plant in there, they also look good.

With regards to the Halides, I'm using the ADA NAG 'green' A lamp that gives the most intense greens you'll ever see in a planted aquarium, but reds look dull.

The Geissmanne unit as a whole is just fantastic...as you're probably aware. The greatest lighting unit I've used...and I've used just about every other brand going. ADA, Arcadia etc....

Back to the tank....Not long until I'll be taking this down, and starting the new layout.

Reactions: tim
Thanks for that Mark, l kinda guessed it was something with a little more k than l'm using.

My 8000k's are Osram Lumilux skywhites, to be honest they too give off a little yellow. Maybe next time l'll give the JBL's a try.

Look fwd to your next piece of planted artwork.

Mark, I love the dimensions of this tank, but I cannot get a 4' tank in my room without it stealing space. Do you think a 1000 x 55 x 55 would be a visually acceptable dimension ? I definitely want the width but could go down a bit in height. Alternatively the other tank I am thinking about is 1000 x 60 x 55 (including lids and top trim).

Hi Mark,
how's this going?
Not long until I'll be taking this down, and starting the new layout.
....or should I ask is this still going?
If still running, Is it looking after itself? I'm guessing you've been busy of late, in which case has this taken on a wild look with the plants taking over your living room :)
It would be great to see some more top photos.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady,

It's still running. A good 8 weeks without a water change now. No problems, apart from massive over growth. Experiment going well

I'm planning the next layout, but with many changes on the horizon with my working life, I'll need to decide in which direction I'll take the new scape.

Dude, that moss is immense!

Very interesting about the loss dosing and lack of water changes. I guess this is like a low-tech, except you are dosing CO2.

Have you ever considered taking it 'down' further and stopping CO2 injection altogether?

It's crossed my mind, George.

I'd be confident in doing so too. But, it's time for something new, so I'll be stopping CO2...and everything else for this one. LOL

I'm bringing out the BIG rocks for the next layout, and for substrate....Just gravel and Tropica under gravel substrate.

A couple of weeks back, I visited Tropica, and I've seen yet more examples of what can be done with gravel alone(combined with Triopica substrate) . HC to die for! Michael is King.

Will that be the same monolithic rocks you teased us with a couple of tanks back Mark?

Look forward to seeing a gravel tank and how you set it up, i wish i had the confidence to do so as i guess it makes life a lot easier than trying to keep different gravels and substrates separated.
Amazonia does seem to give a wider margin for error for those of us learning though.

Insane tank,awsome journal exactly the sort of thing im looking to do, admittedly wont be anywhere near as good as this but I will give it a go. Just a quick question, ive read through this whole journal but may have missed it, what type of wood is it you have used?

Hi Mark,
Hope your well.....your moss hasn't gobbled you up has it ;) Just wondering if there has been any changes with this tank?
From a purely selfish viewpoint, I do miss your updates and photos and would relish the chance to follow another top class journal :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Mark,
I came across this journal by searching for Giesemann infiniti which I want to buy for my new setup. I was planning 120x60x60cm tank 12mm thick and I'm just curious why did you choose 120x55x55. Any of your thoughts on this would be very helpful. Also can you tell me how tall is your cabinet? 70, 80cm?
I love your setup, very inspiring :)

Back