• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Over and out.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' Tank and cabinet arrive!

Just to go back to what i was saying about, a change in planting....

I was thinking about tons of stems in the back, but the more i look at it, the more I'd like to do low carpeting plants.

Parvula, and acicularis spring to mind.

I'm not sure if anyone can see what i mean, but dont you think it'd be silly to get rid of all the openness at the back, by hiding it with stems and what not?

imagine that background the other way around (top to bottom) To me, it invokes a calm, still, summers day...

blue-5.jpg

If i were to have stems, and things like vallis/balansae, they could go tight to the right and left hand sides, leaving the middle feeling 'open'

Stems stems stems please, no excuses. Leave the back middle open.
We want stems yes :D

Stop chickening around mate and plant those red plants in there :lol: I dare you!

P.S. I would let the soil become too dry ... I did that and I had to throw it away

Piece-of-fish said:
Stems stems stems please, no excuses. Leave the back middle open.

That's secretly what i wanted to hear :angelic:

clonitza said:
I would let the soil become too dry ... I did that and I had to throw it away

Really? I've never had problems. I've had tanks dry scaped for weeks, and then filled with no issues. :D

What happened to yours? :)

I've removed one of the stones, so the 'valley' opens up a bit more naturally.

removed-stone.jpg

Looking great. And yes!! Keep that middle back open. Nice low lying plants to create a nice hill through a forest opening look to it. Each side? Do what you like mate. Good amount of tight stems I reckon... And get some red in there.

120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' Tank and cabinet arrive!

jay said:
Looking great. And yes!! Keep that middle back open. Nice low lying plants to create a nice hill through a forest opening look to it. Each side? Do what you like mate. Good amount of tight stems I reckon... And get some red in there.

Would avoid it looking too symmetrical though... A danger if you keep the hill where it is. Given such depth, could you do something more winding?

mikeappleby said:
Would avoid it looking too symmetrical though... A danger if you keep the hill where it is. Given such depth, could you do something more winding?

A valid point :thumbup: I think to overcome this, I'll not just plant parvula, but a selection of moss, parvula and hyrdacotyle. I can create a winding look, with moss stones.

Mate I was just kidding, do what you like I'm sure it will look stunning :), I'm starting to imagine what you want to make there. Nice background also, what is it?
Regarding the soil I kinda left it for months in a tank drying up and when I finally filled it with water, it became mud, fortunately the tank was small so it wasn't such a big deal.

On a long rainy Saturday evening at home... Can we finally see provisional plant list 8)
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease...
Give a little treat to our imaginations :)

Piece-of-fish said:
Can we finally see provisional plant list
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease...

:D Here's the list.

Aponogeton crispus 'Red' (083B)

Ferns and co.
Bolbitis heudelotii
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'
Anubias barteri var. nana

Crypts
Cryptocoryne beckettii "petchii''
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae

Stems
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Ludwigia glandulosa
Pogostemon stellata
rotala sp. green
rotala rotundifolia (@ George :lol: )

moss
lots (plenty from Ed :thumbup: )

Foreground (up the valley)
Eleocharis parvula

special's from Tropica
echinodorus reni
hydrocotyle sp japan

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' plant list

Just to add, I'll be receiving the plants Thursday, and should be planted up by Friday at the latest.

mikeappleby said:
Was hoping for some limnophila aromatica too... But looks great!

I could add some at a later date if it needs it. 8)

ianho said:
sounds nice, Mark! Look forward to it mate!

I'm off to tie a million moss stones now o_O

Hi Mark,
the new tank is looking good and the Giesemann lightning is fantastic, I have one my self - so I know what I´m talking about ;)
Wish you lots of fun planting the next days, looking forward for more pics.

Juri

PS: looks like UK guys fancy Spraybars, hmm..

120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' plant list

Great selection of crypts. I adore crypts, great plants.

Hoe would you balance out the high light requirements of the stems with the more easy going crypts?

At least two of those crypts can reach the surface, at over 55cm.

That's a great hardscape Mark,
i love the depth of the wood, in combination with the coarse gravel at the front it should give a huge depth of field in the photos.

Can't wait to see it planted, Try not to get RSI from all the tweezer work tomorrow :)

Cheers,
James

Back