• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Over and out.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 'Ruby' Tank and cabinet arrive!

faizal said:
Nice foreground moss Mark !!! What kind is it? That wood is looking really nice too.

It's a bit of Java moss, which has been sat on my window sill for ages. I'm getting some more moss soon, as i dont have enough.

Bobtastic said:
Are you soaking the wood atm? Is that why into not in the tank?

I dont soak mine. I've put the wood in the scape now, and it's firmly in the substrate, so it wont float. I'll go through the usual white fluffy build up, but that goes after a while.

Bobtastic said:
Yeah, the tank and cabinet look amazing! Do you make them professionally PoF? What's the rough cost of a cabinet in that style?

You'll need to get in touch with Piece of fish mate :thumbup:

flygja said:
I'm completely stunned at the fit and finish of the tank itself. The silicon (or lack thereof) seams are really astonishing!

It's pretty good mate 8)

Piece-of-fish said:
Mark is still looking for the wood

Found it! :p

So, I often think too hard about hardscape. I've searched the tinternet, not for inspiration, but comparisons. Hardscape 'dry' V hardscape 'planted'

I've done this with some foresight, but not gone over bored with...move wood 30 degrees, move left a bit...etc etc.

hardscape.jpg

What i do have high hopes for, with this tank, is the perception of depth.

I'm now getting a plant list together. :thumbup:

The Kelvin is real noticeable. I need another NAG green, as I've put one over the 60. It's staying because i like it so much.

Wow you can really see the difference in colour temperature between the two bulbs, the one on the right is much bluer!

Joecoral said:
Wow you can really see the difference in colour temperature between the two bulbs, the one on the right is much bluer!

It's a massive difference. I've got the green over my 60, and the greens are to die for.

I cant wait to get this up and running.

Piece-of-fish said:
Hehe, the price of the bulb is also to die for

yep, a marriage wrecker for sure :shh:

I've made an adjustment to the substrate at the back. I've removed about 9 L from the left and right, and created a 10inch deep mound going up the middle. The added space to the right and left, will give me more growing room for stems etc.

I'll maybe plant parvula up that mound, which should give some kind of depth perspective with a UWA lens.

I've also used barriers to hole the whole slope in position.

mound-1.jpg

Maybe I have missed it somewhere earlier, but did you put the soil under the gravel in the front, or is it just the gravel?

Tnx :thumbup:

I am jellous to your new setup Mark. I would love to have this at home. :D
Kudos to the tank and the cabinet maker. And the new light is something what i would love to try also.

I guess you love this part the best from the whole story. When you're warming up and putting together the ingredients. :angelic:

Can't wait to see your planting mate. I hope you will keep this a bit longer than usual. :thumbup:

Yeee gods man! What a monster! It's f'ing mahoooosive!

What filtration will you be running on it and how will you ensure they Co2 gets all the way to the bottom of the beast? :woot:

The depth in that tank is amazing Mark. I can't help but to notice that you have chosen to place your spray bar along the entire length of the right wall of your tank. How far would you water jet reach,...half way across or would it be so strong as it would be striking the left wall of your tank?

I am sorry to be asking silly questions again but aren't we supposed to create a vortex like circulation to ensure proper flow? I am merely asking these questions to learn more. In a big tank like yours,..wouldn't the strength of the flow of the water coming out from those spray bars decrease once they reach about halfway across the tank? Or will you be adding koiralias to enhance the flow in that direction?

Sorry to be such a donkey that hijacks a beautiful thread. :oops:

Just a question to clear a doubt in my mind. :oops:

Westyggx said:
Looks bloody gorgeous that mate!

Thanks you very much :thumbup:

Sonnyarba said:
but did you put the soil under the gravel in the front, or is it just the gravel?

Tnx

It's just gravel. There's only to be moss in the front.

LondonDragon said:
looking forward to another great journal and scape

I bet :lol:

viktorlantos said:
I hope you will keep this a bit longer than usual.

for sure viktor. :thumbup:

stuworrall said:
hubba hubba! looking very nice and deep on the vid mark

The UWA adds to the depth, but even in realty, it's pretty deep :)

Bobtastic said:
What filtration will you be running on it and how will you ensure they Co2 gets all the way to the bottom of the beast?

faizal said:
I am sorry to be asking silly questions again but aren't we supposed to create a vortex like circulation to ensure proper flow? I am merely asking these questions to learn more. In a big tank like yours,..wouldn't the strength of the flow of the water coming out from those spray bars decrease once they reach about halfway across the tank? Or will you be adding koiralias to enhance the flow in that direction?

I'll be running 2 filters. Plus, if needed, 2 x korolias.

My 60cm is teaching me a thing or 2 about flow, lack of flow, and spray bars.

This is my biggest tank as yet, so it's a learning curve for me. :D

Mark Evans said:
I'll be running 2 filters. Plus, if needed, 2 x korolias. My 60cm is teaching me a thing or 2 about flow, lack of flow, and spray bars. This is my biggest tank as yet, so it's a learning curve for me. :D

Thanks for clearing that up Mark,... :D It's a beautiful tank & I wish you all the best with your efforts.

Dream setup Mark, I love the hardware on that! Wish I had a bigger house now :D
Regarding the light and the 'ruby' challenge, I'm not sure you'll get too much red out of plants using HQI but I might be wrong, hopefully those two T5 will help. For sure I'll follow up this journal.

BTW what's your plant list? If you need any tips I can help, I know most of the red plants out there :)

Keep up the good work mate!

Mike

clonitza said:
BTW what's your plant list? If you need any tips I can help, I know most of the red plants out there

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Actually, my original plant list seems to be changing.

The more i look at the tank, especially with my blue background, i'm something totally different. This layout could work in such a different way, to what was in my head 3 days ago.

I might try something a bit different and daring.

ghostsword said:
I'm sure that ensuring flow of co2 on a tank that big is going to be challenging.

Me too. We live in hope though :)

faizal said:
It's a beautiful tank & I wish you all the best with your efforts.

Thanks mate.

Back