• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

So have you decided on the more stemy plants or the rossette species that are slower growing and easier to deal with?

If you like to wait and see where it goes: Lower slower growing species, and less light.
If you want more consistent hands on gardening: stems/more light.
Hardscapes can make the tank much more work, or much much less work no matter which growth rate you chose.
Do you want to focus on finer textures or larger leaves and contrast?
Dark forest or a bright field? Or a mix?
Fish theme? Shrimp: workers or breeders and color?
Hardscape materials?

wow that does like it needs a good trim! lol

I bet Dans still there catching all of those, how many did you get out in the end? Estimate??

easerthegeezer said:
Mark if you do decide to sell some moss then ill happily be your first buyer

OK mate.

ianho said:
I bet Dans still there catching all of those, how many did you get out in the end? Estimate??

we've taken about 30 amano's out and a good 30 or so cherries...and I've not even scratched the surface with those numbers.

plantbrain said:
So have you decided on the more stemy plants or the rossette species that are slower growing and easier to deal with?

I'm not 100% sure as yet Tom. I want 'ease' but with a 'wow' factor to it. I still may head down the stems route, as i've discovered one or two things with the current lighting set up on this tank.

viktorlantos said:
The tank is a bit overgrown, but from this angle looks amazing.
You made me think to work with a tank like this sometime in the near future. I love the dimensions.

It's a great size tank Viktor. So much scope for design.

davem said:
She's not the only one

:lol:

Thanks Tony :thumbup:

I've been a little quiet recently, but hopefully that'll change.

here's some of the shrimp that have made their way into the 90cm.

I think there's going to be far too many for 1 tank.

Once I really go to town on stripping the tank down, I'll be really interested to see how many CRS I have along with a SS+grade that Ed gave to me (which was pregnant)

6843405396_60f6b6c3e4_b.jpg
shrimps by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Radik said:
Mark, did you catch more CRS from berried mother or no success raising them?

I'm assuming you mean the SS+ grade from ED?....I have seen a baby SS+ grade so she must of had babies. The CRS and SS+ always seem to come out when lights are off. I'll let you know if I have any more.

There's defiantly baby CRS (A grade?) as I've seen really tiny ones.

The cherries are unstoppable with their breeding. I've just watched 2 lay eggs in the 90cm

Mark Evans said:
Radik said:
Thanks I was curious how they would be doing in high co2 high ferts.

Low Co2 and very low ferts :thumbup:

Hi Mark,
with regards this tank and its great success on low c02, low ferts and relitively low light with modest circulation, what do you consider are the main reasons for its success?
With most struggling to maximise c02 flow and distribution is it simply the case that this tank has hit the 'sweet spot' in terms of that balance?
Its difficult to understand, especially with the exceptional plant health and growth displayed and maybe you could shed some light on this. Naturally your experience over the years counts for a lot, but im continually struggling with optimising c02, with your modest turnover has your flow/distribution also been optimised by trial and error as this seems to be the key to success and is continually pushed by fellow experts as very important!
I know that light is the driving force behind the plants need for c02 and ferts, and with lower light, c02 and ferts slower growth is the result, but your tank seems to thrive none the less.
I have referred to you as the Amano of UKAPS elsewhere on the forum as you seem to have been able to go against the general concensus, breaking all the rules and producing this world class aquascape.
Thanks,
Ady.

sanj said:
You are too good, its put me off completely, im leaving this hobby. :lol:
That makes two of us :p

Well done Mark another inspirational journal :) looking forward to the next one already :) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would not call it low co2 when substituting more co2 with liquid carbo. In my experience plants do well when dosing a right amount of liquid carbo so combination of 2 will prevent some algae and help growth. I am just not using it anymore as it is too toxic for my liking. Only when some bba appears. I am trying to do with gas co2 only and learn to find balance to light, fert and flow. It must be possible without carbo.

Radik said:
I would not call it low co2 when substituting more co2 with liquid carbo. In my experience plants do well when dosing a right amount of liquid carbo so combination of 2 will prevent some algae and help growth. I am just not using it anymore as it is too toxic for my liking. Only when some bba appears. I am trying to do with gas co2 only and learn to find balance to light, fert and flow. It must be possible without carbo.
I didn't think Mark was dosing liquid carbon into this. At least when I spoke with him the other day to discuss the incredible results Mark's having, this was the case.

My thoughts are Mark's substrate and tap water are providing necessary nutrients.

Best journal. Period.

Mark Evans said:
Radik said:
Mark, did you catch more CRS from berried mother or no success raising them?

I'm assuming you mean the SS+ grade from ED?....I have seen a baby SS+ grade so she must of had babies. The CRS and SS+ always seem to come out when lights are off. I'll let you know if I have any more.

There's defiantly baby CRS (A grade?) as I've seen really tiny ones.

The cherries are unstoppable with their breeding. I've just watched 2 lay eggs in the 90cm

You might be well surprised when you tear that down.
good luck 8)

Seems I made assumptions on liquid carbo from other thread and his response. :) Ye nice journal so hope soon you start new one.

George Farmer said:
Best journal. Period.

Thanks mate.

LondonDragon said:
Well done Mark another inspirational journal looking forward to the next one already

Cheers Paulo.

sanj said:
Well done fella, Mr Aquascape UK.

Thanks Sanj

Ady34 said:
with regards this tank and its great success on low c02, low ferts and relitively low light with modest circulation, what do you consider are the main reasons for its success?

For me Ady, it's the lightimng. Full control over how much goes into the tank. I've limited my light comapared to past tanks. I simple put too much over them.

Radik said:
Seems I made assumptions on liquid carbo from other thread and his response. Ye nice journal so hope soon you start new one.

I added easy carbo way back in the early days. First 4 weeks or so. Then I stopped. The last 3 months or so it's not had any easy carbo.

The tank is still running, but seriously neglected. Over grown mess. My plan of doing something 'low energy' is out of the window. I'm to do a 1-2grow! scape for Tropica.

The fish are looking amazing, especially the Gouramis who have coloured up a treat. Even the natural variety. A real nice brown colour with a flick of yellow on the fin.

here's the tank at the moment.

6860232604_49f165b395_b.jpg
cant-do-it by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Back