• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 x 55 x 55 Iwawoody.

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 getting prepared for a quick photo shoot.

Hi Mark.
I am a picky blahblahblahblahblahblahblah and I do not say nice stuff easy, but damn it. This one is good. I really like it.

Hi Mark,
this tank is a stunner and the growth and vibrancy of the plants is clear for all to see.
I love the style of scaping and the contrasts offered from the open peripheries to the twisted wood and rocky 'heart' in the more centered area.
Im almost embarrassed to critique the scape as it is leagues above anything i can currently achieve, however I do feel that the stem uppermost to the left is a little distracting and not quite in harmony with the rest of the scape. I would have been inclined to either leave it out or trim it lower in the water column to allow the more delicate vallis to dominate the upper regions giving height and interest without being too 'in yer face'.
I do however love this tank and am in awe of its very rapid journey to this point. You clearly have ane eye and skill for aquascaping and growing plants which is probably credited to your attention to detail and meticulous maintenance regime.
It is a super tank and i bet it looks even better in the flesh.
Great job and i think you should still enter into the IAPLC, it has a very unique look.
Cheerio for now,
Ady.

It looks outstanding Mark! a very nice photo showing its entire beauty - remarkable too considering its age - really well done :thumbup: :clap:

Ady34 said:
Im almost embarrassed to critique the scape

No mate, do NOT be embarrassed! I'm just a hobbyist like everyone else. No better than anyone else. If i thought like that, I'd be a bad person and a big head, which i'm not. :angelic:

Ady34 said:
I would have been inclined to either leave it out or trim it lower in the water column to allow the more delicate vallis to dominate the upper regions

A great suggestion. I'm thinking about it seriously. What i might do is, take images as it is, then trim those stems out, and take shots without the stems.

I'll have to get the trim right, so in effect, it's like they were never there.

I've done some minor trimming, but makes a major effect. I can see why ADA tanks look like they do. I tend not to spend that much time on mine. I might take more time over them in future.

It's nice to get to the back of the tank to. Doing things you'd never normally do.

Here's with minor trimming...mainly left and right...vesuvius, vallis and tenullus...

No colour adjustments on this one.

test2-2.jpg

With some minor wood adjustments (like the one pointing into the left side), adding some space for the light to enter the central area, a heavy trimming, loosing hairgrass and vallis it could hit the top 20 mate. Regardless, the photo on the other page looks stunning. :thumbup:

i have edited my last post as i meant the left hand uppermost stem, not the right as id initially said :rolleyes: . I think from your reply you knew what i was talking about!
Your right about trimming, the tank has a more defined shape since the slight pruning out of some of the stray vesuvius, vallis and tenellus leaves.
At least if you did trim the left stem and it didnt work you know you have the ability to grow it back again super fast! :lol:
Thanks for the gracious reply.
Mark Evans said:
No mate, do NOT be embarrassed! I'm just a hobbyist like everyone else. No better than anyone else. If i thought like that, I'd be a bad person and a big head, which i'm not.
Mark Evans said:
A great suggestion. I'm thinking about it seriously. What i might do is, take images as it is, then trim those stems out, and take shots without the stems.
Its always nice to know that us beginners can have some noted input to these great scapes.
Ady.

Looks great to me!

It would be nice to see more detail in the central shadows - I guess you'll need flashes.

I think I prefer this over your IAPLC 2011 entry, especially if you keep it going for a couple more months to nail the stems and get even more interplant mergence etc.

About the stems. The main composition is a mound. I think a reverse-U shape of fine stems (perhaps a hint of red) spanning the space behind the main mound would look great. Either that or lose the stems and have a curtain of V. nana, or E. vivipara, or that giant hairgrass we've talked about.

I'd certainly keep this layout rolling for a while yet. I don't think we're too far from seeing its full potential as one of the UK's finest Nature Aquarium-style aquascapes.

George Farmer said:
Looks great to me!

It would be nice to see more detail in the central shadows - I guess you'll need flashes.

Hi George/Mark. Is flash the way to go for illuminating spots like this, or would a fixed light work better ? I don't know the answer so am not making a suggestion, rather, asking your opinions :)

Oh and Mark. You are going to end up costing me a LOT of money !!! Your amazing work is stimulating a much greater interest in this hobby from me than I ever imagined ! I have a lot of saving to do, as well as a lot of learning methinks... :)

Many many thanks for the input guys. Lots to think about. :clap:

clonitza said:
(like the one pointing into the left side),

I'm afraid the wood stays were it is :thumbup:

clonitza said:
a heavy trimming, loosing hairgrass and vallis

There'd be nothing left? :wideyed:

I'll take in everything that's been written and play around.

I'll be photographing it tomorrow at some point so plenty of time to mull over it all. :thumbup:

Ady34 said:
Its always nice to know that us beginners can have some noted input to these great scapes.
Ady.

Antipofish said:
Your amazing work is stimulating a much greater interest in this hobby from me than I ever imagined !

It's what the forum is for mate. It's the best place to get people excited about what we do.

Twitter and the likes are fine, but really, they dont inspire too much in my opinion...'i did a water change today'. 'changed my bulb for a new one' etc etc....that's about all twitter can do in my opinion.

For hobbyists like ourselves, these are the places to get the word out. :thumbup: Glad to be of some kind of assistance.

Here's a quick fly around the tank...

I wish i could swear on the forum cos it looking ********** sweet.

Think it looks every good, certainly miles better than anything I could ever achieve but wondering if you make it too 'perfect' will it lose it's integrity as it looks like the growth just exploded from the ''mound'' ( I become tongue tied when I try to explain myself so forgive me if I'm not making my point clear).You can have beautiful views of wild scenery as you have of manicured lawns but If you try to impose one on the other you're in danger of losing the original beauty,the beauty that made you stop and look in the first place. Really love the video ,how come you can see so much more detail when there is movement as compared to a static shot.Thumbs up :thumbup:

Ehh, hope you still change your mind about iaplc or enter into any other. Make UK some proud :thumbup:
I have a feeling you might be right about photographing it without the stems. Mb you can do one in between where you trim them hard but still leave some.

Mark Evans said:
Twitter and the likes are fine, but really, they dont inspire too much in my opinion...
Good point.

Forums/journals are more appropriate for hobbyists with more spare time.

Twitter fulfills a different role if you use it properly. For instance I can instantly share one of your great videos with over 500 of my followers. If 10 of those followers re-tweet that link, and so on, then your views can increase exponentially.

BTW I don't share many videos on Twitter, but I make exception for you, Mark. :)

I have been sharing your videos not only on twitter, but also on various other forums, and send the links to my friends, many are not on forums.

The latest video really shows the massive size of this tank.

You find it easy to move such a big thing? Doesn't it damage your floor and the cabinet?

ghostsword said:
You find it easy to move such a big thing? Doesn't it damage your floor and the cabinet?

It's not so bad when it's nearly empty mate.

ghostsword said:
I have been sharing your videos not only on twitter, but also on various other forums,

Thanks for that man :thumbup:

Piece-of-fish said:
Ehh, hope you still change your mind about iaplc or enter into any other.

After the images i have right now, i might just enter :D i'm in 2 minds whether to post it or not :?
Piece-of-fish said:
I have a feeling you might be right about photographing it without the stems.
Theyve been cut, and i now need to take another shot without them.

Vito said:
I am assuming you don't have the tank that far from the wall all the time,

It is just on a temp basis. :thumbup:

mrjackdempsey said:
how come you can see so much more detail when there is movement as compared to a static shot.

I guess, when moving around, it shows off the 3d side of things rather than a 'flat' image :thumbup:

viktorlantos said:
Photos are not represent the real size. Brilliant scape! One more for iaplc

Cheers my friend :thumbup:

ianho said:
I wish i could swear on the forum cos it looking ********** sweet.

save it for next time we speak. :lol:

George Farmer said:
Forums/journals are more appropriate for hobbyists with more spare time.

Twitter fulfills a different role if you use it properly. For instance I can instantly share one of your great videos with over 500 of my followers. If 10 of those followers re-tweet that link, and so on, then your views can increase exponentially.

BTW I don't share many videos on Twitter, but I make exception for you, Mark.

dont get me wrong, it has it's uses, but for me, i just dont get it. I suppose for my videos, you tube is the place for me. with nearly 550 subscribers and growing massively by the day, i find that a much more useful tool for me, and for the hobbyist...and for many big companies now...e.g ADA

I've now trimmed out the HM.

Here's a snap without. I'm not really sure :? Looks OK,but i did like the stems.

I have one other option (closer to the end of the tank) I can remove all of the wood. None of it is planted or buried.

I think this could look different, but i'll try this on the last day before i strip it down.

The re scape bug is firmly fixed in my head now. :shifty: I have a 'final' image if i do decide to enter IAPLC, but i really need to get crackin' with the next layout...Much to learn still.

no-stems.jpg

Re: 120 x 55 x 55 getting close to the end. Feedback on ste

Do you prefer this aquascape to your entry last year, Mark?

Nice one one the YouTube subscribers! It's no surprise though. Your videos are second to none in this hobby, ADA View included. :thumbup:

Back